1/72 AIRFIX TIGER 1

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I am calling this one finished, with hands a trembling and eyes a squinting, happy I managed to complete it.

I have to be honest, it was difficult work over a few days but, I am really pleased with how it turned out and, although I broke a couple of bits (and reglued), I didn't lose anything to the spiders in my workshed! :smiling:

After assembly it was primed, then I airbrushed the top coat and then a slightly darker camo added. It has then been weathered using a light dusting on my finger in graphite, just to highlight areas. Aluminium paint for the tracks, I had no steel colour, (I used the 'easy' two part jobbies instead of doing the separate wheels etc, I thought this would be easier...not when trying to paint:angry:). I then did a graphite rub over them and then added some rust. I then did a dried mud dust pigment on the track wheels and sides. Finally, I made a aerial by heating some sprue and stretching it, painted it black, decals added and we gentlemen, are done.

Time for a cuppa me thinks.

Attachments

• P1014839.JPG
    P1014839.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 29
  • P1014840.JPG
    P1014840.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 28
  • P1014841.JPG
    P1014841.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 28
  • P1014842.JPG
    P1014842.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 27
  • P1014843.JPG
    P1014843.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 28
  • P1014844.JPG
    P1014844.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 27
  • P1014845.JPG
    P1014845.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 25
  • P1014846.JPG
    P1014846.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 23

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Si
That's turned out well. You have every reason to be pleased with it.
Jim

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice big cat Edie, hope you enjoyed the cuppa!!!

Cheers Bob, I honestly thought this would be a wreck, glub bomb, bits missing etc. With my health problems and hand issues it came out way better than I ever could have imagined in this scale.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi Si
That's turned out well. You have every reason to be pleased with it.
Jim

Ta Jim, you know, I stay away from braille scale due to the issues I have but, I wanted to do this as best as I could, my nieces got me it for Xmas...I had to do it justice. And the best bit, despite it being very difficult, I enjoyed building it.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Working "small" keeps you sharp Si.......I find that I have a lot less trouble doing larger things because I work in "smallsville".......Your Nieces will love this Cat! Maybe a small base to show it off for them when they come for a visit...... ;)

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Looks like you had a lot of fun with this build Si. Great work on the smaller scale my friend

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Working "small" keeps you sharp Si.......I find that I have a lot less trouble doing larger things because I work in "smallsville".......Your Nieces will love this Cat! Maybe a small base to show it off for them when they come for a visit...... ;)

Problem is Rick, my tremors are getting worse, even 1/35 can be iffy. That's why I do 1/16 RC stuff, a tad easier. Glad you like it though and as for a base, my lad has claimed it.

Looks like you had a lot of fun with this build Si. Great work on the smaller scale my friend

You know Steve, I did really enjoy doing something this small again. It took me a good few days but, it turned out rather good, chuffed you like my 'lickle' cat.

Lovely job Si. You’ve shown that those old Airfix kits can still build up nicely.

Cheers Tim, yeah, was a really nice kit, not a lot of flashing or clean up, fit was okay-I had no filler but, it went together fine.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm in the same boat Si.........60mg of Propranolol time release, once daily.....also a good beta blocker according to my Cardiologist ;) Gets a little dicey when painting 1-87 scale figs.:tongue-out3:
Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You have my profound sympathy Si and Rick. I took propanol for a while as a background reducer for migraine. I thought the side effects were worse than the illness so stopped them after about a year. Mind you, my current methotrexate and sulfasalazine regime is no picnic either….

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Modelling can be tricky when physically not great and dosed up just get you to out of bed. My thoughts with you both guys, make what you can, when you can, just try and enjoy it.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Si anyone in my book who can achieve a finish like that in 1/72 is a worthy winner of the Race Towers Award.

2020DB.jpg

Congratulations .

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Si anyone in my book who can achieve a finish like that in 1/72 is a worthy winner of the Race Towers Award.

View attachment 443565

Congratulations .

Cheers John, I shall place the award in the workshed.

Only thing that is bugging me is the cables etc, too shiny, may need to go back and dirty up.

You should have seen me trying to paint the cable hull anchor points-trying to keep my hands still, magnifying goggles on, toothpick with a tiny bit of paint on...down, down, left...shaking...BACK OFF!...down, down, touch down...it'll do :smiling5:

Chuffed you like it mate.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Si,

Despite your current medical situation, you have done a really great job on the Tigger and at that scale too!!! Total respect to your talents. Hoping you can get some help and relief for your probs Sir. Getting old sucks........................

Prost
Allen

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Wow Si,

Despite your current medical situation, you have done a really great job on the Tigger and at that scale too!!! Total respect to your talents. Hoping you can get some help and relief for your probs Sir. Getting old sucks........................

Prost
Allen

Bless you Allen, waiting for the docs to get in touch regarding more, less or different meds. Thank you for the lovely comment, really appreciate it.

Yes, getting older does suck, especially if you have lost all your teeth :tongue-out:

Last edited: