1/72 HMS Victory Cross Section

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Now I'm not sure how much interest there might be in this. I didn't intend to share it on the forum but having made a start I'm finding it very interesting and thought that maybe others might as well.
I have liked those big, wooden ship kits for a while but although the results can be stunning I don't have the space, the time, the money and, most importantly, the skill to attempt one. A month or so before Christmas there was a sale on ModelSpace. This kit was reduced from £169 down to £135. It was originally a DeAgostini part works. I thought "well it's now or never" :smiling:

image 1.jpg

image 2.jpg

Anyway a few days later this was delivered.
P1060436.JPG

30 plastic bags of bits. Laser cut parts, metal bits, all sorts of wood and other odds and ends. Instructions are downloadable and there are official build videos on YouTube.

Anyway, as I said I have made a start and I'll post my progress to date later. Hopefully a few of you will think it worth popping in from time to time. Unfortunately due to the lock down you will have to social distance, wear masks and bring your own refreshments :tongue-out3: Mind you at the speed I work by the time I get this done we'll all have had the jab and life may be returning to normal :thumb2:

Stay safe
Jim

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Jim.
Should be a cracker.
I'm pretty sure someone constructed this, certainly a similar build, on here a while back. - and I mean a while back too!

I'll be watching, sitting on one of those barrels, I spy. Probably my luck it will contain just water!

Your servant,
Half Nelson (alias Kent Walton. Mick Macmanus and Jackie Pallo

Last edited:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Interesting project Jim!
Must have been quite a sight when these type of ships were constructed in the shipyard by an army of skilled carpenters...
Have fun,
Steven

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bugger all wrong with this Jim

Watching with interest!

Fed up with Nelson, never mind half!!

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim

I'm right with you on this one. I love wooden ship models and these cross sections are really interesting projects showing how these things were built and organized. Best of luck with the construction and I'm looking forward to the reults.

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Most encouraging, and slightly surprising, to see so many already showing interest.
Ron - Monica built a cross section back in 2016. Keep up the banter and I'm old enough to appreciate the 1970s wrestling references.
Steven - definitely and no power tools.
Andrew - cross sections have certainly been a forte of yours.
Bob - your Nelson is a tribute to your sheer bloody mindedness :smiling:
John - it does indeed look an interesting build.

I did a little of this before Christmas but then put it to one side for my Simon T tribute build. It was back on the bench a week or so ago.

The cross section is built around 7 ribs. The parts of the ribs are laser cut. These are the parts for the first 4.
P1060437.JPG

You print out a template and work over that.
P1060439.JPG

P1060440.JPG
One rib complete.

Repeat 7 times and you end up with this.
P1060441.JPG
The curve of each rib on this part of the hull is the same. The fit is good. Being laser cut the most time consuming part is sanding off the slight charring on the edges.

Jim

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Now I'm not sure how much interest there might be in this.

very interested!!

got an interest in anything Nelson

my mother was born in the same village, Victorys flags still hang in the village church, his father was the Rector there

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Very nice to see so much interest. Gives me a boost.
Paul - Burnham Thorpe yes. I came across that when I was doing a bit of research.
1611931800690.png
Steve - great photos thanks. Photos of the inside of Victory are often of Nelsons quarters and the gun decks - hammock photos are excellent. Gotta make some of them down the line.
Tim - they reckon those Aubrey/Maturin novels by Patrick O’Brien give a fine picture of shipboard life back then.

OK update. The cross section is constructed around the framework of 7 ribs. The keel and the keelson (like an inside keel) locate the ribs at the base and you're given jigs to locate the top of the ribs.
P1060444.JPG
Keel and keelson

P1060443.JPG
Jigs

Start with the first rib - numbered 2 :thinking:
P1060445.JPG
Very important to get this all square otherwise the whole thing will be off!

Add the rest of the ribs using the jigs near the top.
P1060446.JPG

P1060447.JPG

The next stage is to complete the upper parts of the ribs above the gun ports and the entrance.

Thanks again for your interest.
Stay safe.
Jim

I got my vaccine letter this morning and I'm booked for my first jab next Sunday :tongue-out3: The missus hasn't got hers so she'll have to live in the shed - I ain't taking any risks :smiling:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A colleague has a built up one in his cabinet. I never miss looking at it every time I visit. It's quite detailed so I think you'll have fun building it Jim.

Just make sure you don't have any valuable stash in the shed when you leave her there. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Those books are certainly worth a read Jim. Though they have nowhere near as many action sections as Hornblower, they are much more detailed and descriptive with a far better feel for the period.
This is coming on well, it’s like watching you build a real one!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'm a big fan of the Patrick O'Brian books , to the extent that I have a 1-50 scale model of HMS Surprise in the stash for my retirement- assuming I still have my faculties by then.
I have never built a rigged ship before so I am watching with interest-I mean, how hard can it be.....?
SWMBO knows about it but she has NO IDEA how big it's going to be:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: