1/72 Hobby Boss P47D "Big Ass Bird"

First Name
john
Hi everyone I enjoyed my last Hobby Boss kit so much I've decide to do another.
Here she is the P47D and I'll be doing the Big Ass Bird markings as the title is so appealing. But don't tell the wife lol. Thanks for looking in.

Cheers John
IMG_0503.JPGIMG_0504.JPGIMG_0505.JPGIMG_0506.JPGP

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
I'm quite a fan of these HB models, I think, in 1/72 they have enough detail for the majority of modellers. The cockpit maybe spartan, and need a bit of dressing up................
Careful in dry fitting the parts! Fit is such that once you've put them together - you have difficulty getting them apart!
Dave

First Name
john
Yes David some of them snap together very snug of which I've just run Tamiya xtra thin round them. As you say they have nice details apart from the cockpit but at this scale is of no great importance. I'm really using them as test beds for bigger scales to be honest.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you keep the canopy closed, little will be visible of the cockpit anyway. OK, this one has a bubble top so it will be more obvious, but especially in these kits with framed canopies, then just paint will go a long way to making it look right.

First Name
john
Made a start cutting all parts from sprue and cleaning up. Drilled out machine guns with hypodermic needle. These do hurt if you slip lololol. Started getting a little paint down.Thanks for looking in. IMG_0508.JPGIMG_0509.JPG IMG_0515.PNG

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
The P47 is one of my favorites your doing a great job lots of aftermarket stuff for these including decals

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good John. I liked the way the packaging was done to protect the parts.

First Name
john
Made some progress tonight with the cockpit and canopy. Details are very poor in the Hobby Boss kits at this scale 1/72. The great thing is once it's all buttoned up and the canopy is painted it hardly mattters as any detail or lack of is obscured anyways. Nevertheless I've added a few spare decals to the cockpit as there are none in the kit itself. I painted the pit dry brushed and gave it a dark wash and sealed it up. Thanks for looking in and any comments left.
Cheers John
IMG_0520.JPGIMG_0521.JPGIMG_0522.JPG

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John this is what I used for my 1/72 Academy one those wheels and are nice

5AE7B26B-E6BF-4AA5-A0CF-1146D90F2415.jpeg

First Name
john
John this is what I used for my 1/72 Academy one those wheels and are nice

View attachment 348586
Hi Lee I've never purchased any aftermarket parts for my kits as yet. But I'm very interested as to where to look. I presume Hannants is a possibility but there must be other options? Any help and guidance greatly appreciated.
Thanks John

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi Lee I've never purchased any aftermarket parts for my kits as yet. But I'm very interested as to where to look. I presume Hannants is a possibility but there must be other options? Any help and guidance greatly appreciated.
Thanks John

John I mostly go to eBay Hobbyinc or squadron those are pretty good places

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've never purchased any aftermarket parts for my kits as yet. But I'm very interested as to where to look.
A good way to begin is by looking up the subject of your kit on Scalemates: type it into the search field at top left and press the Return key, then refine your search using the right-hand column on the page. In your case, you could type in P-47 Thunderbolt, for example, and then in the right-hand column select “Kits” and “1:72”. If you then scroll through the list, you’ll come across lots of accessories available for 1:72 scale P-47s.

When you find something that you think you might want, you can then turn to Google (open that in a different tab in your browser, so you can keep the Scalemates list handy) and search for the manufacturer plus set name or number. For example, I just noticed this among the accessories listed for the P-47:

P-47 seat.png

So I select the name and manufacturer with my mouse:

P-47 seat text selected.png

Then copy the text (⌘C on a Mac, Ctrl+C on Windows, or menu Edit → Copy on either), open a new tab in my browser, paste the copied text into the address bar (⌘V, Ctrl+V, or Edit → Paste) and press Return to search:

P-47 seat search results.jpg

As you can see, most of the results are for sites that sell either this specific seat or something close to it (like other Pavla sets). Then it’s mostly a matter of going to some of those sites (again, best to do this in a new tab by right-clicking the link and choosing “Open in new tab” or similar, so you keep the search results handy as well) to see if they actually have it, if it’s a good price, shipping, etc. like usual.

First Name
john
Thanks Jakko for taking the time to explain. You guide is a great help and I'll definitely be purchasing some aftermarket parts in the future.
Thank You John

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good John. These inexpensive HB kits are excellent test beds as you say, but can also build up into great looking 1/72 models with minimal build time. Great mojo restorers

First Name
john
Fast forward 9 months and we now have a painted finish. Just pondering if I should add the invasion stripes as per box art. Still needs a panel wash and a polish of the canopy as I sprayed it with gauzy agent which strangely dulled it.IMG_0724.JPG