1/72 MH-47E from Revell, my second helicopter built.

First Name
Zachary
This is my second helicopter built and the first time using putty, as you can tell from the photos. I am no photographer by any means and I hope it looks as good on screen as it does in person, I am happy with the way the model turned out despite some errors I've made.

The only issue I had with the kit is the cockpit; the interior went together great, but the clear canopy (?) piece that goes in the front did not fit well at all. I had to sand down one side so it would semi-blend into the rest of the front. The windows are also glossed over since it was my first time also using a clear coat, and it was semi-gloss so it gave it that effect.

My next build will most likely be Tamiya's 1/48 Mitsubishi A6M3 Zero Fighter (HAMP).

IMG_1696.jpeg

IMG_1703.jpeg

IMG_1698.jpeg

IMG_1697.jpeg

IMG_1699.jpeg

IMG_1702.jpeg

Top down:

IMG_1701.jpegIMG_1700.jpeg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice indeed Zachary . Definitely a winner of the
The Dogs_0.jpg THE DOGS 2 MOD.png
Very clean build . We're lucky here as these fly over quite a lot, love that distinctive sound of the rotors .My grandson has flown in one with the rear doors open , said it was a WOW moment .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I am no photographer by any means
If I may give a few quick tips … :smiling3:

Get a neutral background — buy some big sheets of thin card (60 × 80 cm or thereabouts can be bought in craft shops, stationers, etc.) in something like white, blue and black, or whatever else strikes your fancy. You can put this in a curve against the wall or some similar back rest, and place the model on top to get a nice, even background. The different colours are so you can choose one that the model looks good against.

Second, add some lighting from a different direction. If you only have daylight to take pictures in, make a reflector from something white (a sheet of polystyrene foam, a white chipboard panel, even one of those white sheets of card) and place it on the opposite side that the light is coming from so that it reflects the light onto the model. This will soften the shadows and even out the model’s lighting, making it look better.

Just a few simple things like this and you get much better model photos :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'll comment about the model....;)

Well done Zack. Great result.

We all make errors, and always will do. Just learn from them and try to avoid making the same mistakes again. Mind you, I haven't learned and possibly never will.....

Cheers.
Ron

First Name
Zachary
Nice one Zach. What did you use for the Olive Drab?
The main coat I used was XF-51 Khaki Drab and then I used semi-gloss clear coat before applying decals. My first helicopter was Italeri's MH/UH-60 Black Hawk uses XF-62 Olive Drab, which is a little too dark for my liking.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The main coat I used was XF-51 Khaki Drab and then I used semi-gloss clear coat before applying decals. My first helicopter was Italeri's MH/UH-60 Black Hawk uses XF-62 Olive Drab, which is a little too dark for my liking.

That's why I asked Zach. I have an assortment of paints labelled Olive Drab and every one of them is much too dark. I'll be adding some of that XF-51 to my next order. Thanks.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's 's a a great build and only your second helicopter!
Love the paint job. Looking forward to your next build well done

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
NICE work an build zack i built a seaking an a merlin both in 1/72 scale in my tiger thread an norfolk thread
chrisb

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Brilliant!