1/72 Revell Tornado Gr1 being converted to Gr4

M

MPal

Started this a while ago, and have had a long break from modelling before starting again.

Its a Revell Tornado Gr1 which I am converting to a GR4 of 12(b) Squadron using parts from an Airfix GR4 kit.

So I started with the cockpit:

Then the Nav's displays

Then the seats

The port gun needed top be filled:

And then I got the front fuselage together:

M

MPal

Then I got the rear done:

Then the two were joined together:

FLIR and LRMTS fitted:

And first coat of paint applied:

Some of the metal detail fitted, exhausts fitted, and black spine and tail leading edge painted

And have now made a start on some of the stores:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Great start I have one of these well it's the tigermeet from revell but I'm converting it to British version

Just one thing why didn't you just build the airfix one ?

M

MPal

Thank you.

The Revell Kit is largely regarded as being one of the best in 1/72, whereas the Airfix is not. The Airfix kit was picked up cheap on Ebay, and some of the parts were badly warped anyway, so no great loss.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Thank you.The Revell Kit is largely regarded as being one of the best in 1/72, whereas the Airfix is not. The Airfix kit was picked up cheap on Ebay, and some of the parts were badly warped anyway, so no great loss.
Oh I understand now I should of realised it would be something like that

Cheers :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great work on the cockpit , looks good , cheers tony

M

MPal

Thanks Tony. It's always such a shame that it gets easily hidden on 1/72 model.

Paul

M

MPal

Well I have been pulling my hair out with this one. Its one problem after another.

Right tailplane snapped off this morning, then I noticed that I had fitted the LRMTS too far forward. The Model Alliance Decals are annoyingly fragile, going from stuck firmly to the carrier film, to so soft they break up in less than a second.

Still, I managed to get the jugs decalled, as well as the centreline pylons, and the skyshadow (no pics), and began on the decalling of the jet itself. My apologies for the crappy pictures, just taken before heading to bed.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
This is looking very good , I'll be starting a tornado in this scale soon so I'm Intreaged as to how this turns out :smiling3:

S

sausagefingers

Some really nice detail on the cockpit,I know how tiny it is so even more impressive.

Hopefully it will end up looking better than mine did after I tried drying the paint with a heat gun :eek:

@Alan45, I still have the Revell RAF decals.If you want them let me know and I will stick them in the post, don't think I'll be trying one of these again for a while :smiling3:

M

MPal

Thanks for the offer, but i still have the Revell ones too, so you can keep them in your spares box until you try another one :smiling:

The cockpit did look good, then it gets hidden away so easily in this scale.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Some really nice detail on the cockpit,I know how tiny it is so even more impressive.Hopefully it will end up looking better than mine did after I tried drying the paint with a heat gun :eek:

@Alan45, I still have the Revell RAF decals.If you want them let me know and I will stick them in the post, don't think I'll be trying one of these again for a while :smiling3:
Thank you for the kind offer mike but Dave w kindly sent me a set but I very much appreciate the offer :smiling3:

M

MPal

Well got most of the port side decals done, and did the rudder on starboard.

Not impressed at all with the Model Alliance decals, wrong size and shape in many cases, the walkway decals were shocking and didn't match up or follow panels like they should, so am misssing them out.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
This is starting to take real shape now , the decals on the dorsal fin look great , I know what you mean about decals not fitting the panel lines I had the same problem with my buccaneer

M

MPal

I was lucky enough to work on this jet, and I remember the day we got it from paintshops I remember thinking it looked like a squirrel on the fin, and couldn't understand why they didn't use the standard fox head from the squadron crest. I always then called this jet 'the squirrel' lol

So, hoping to have this done by the end of the weekend. Getting the Pylons all decalled up, and painting the u/c parts.

The jet itself is all decalled now, save for the walkway markings which just didn't fit or disintegrated on me. Canopy is just dry fitted here.

M

MPal

Well the progress is all over the place at the moment, but It isnt far off everything falling into place and leaving me with a finished model.

began some weathering of the jet last night:

M

MPal

Started fitting the undercarriage today, and have weathered and matt coated the main body of the jet.

Here you can see my RAIDS pod and Acqui missile