1/72 Scale Lancaster...Hasegawa

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I bet your glad you bought those masks Steve.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I bet your glad you bought those masks Steve.
Oh yes! Bad light stopped play before I got much more done but I'd have paid twice as much for them :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve

That was very gesture from Roman and I'm sure you'll make a fabulous job of the Lanc.

all the best

Paul

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work so far Steve, I'm watching with interest

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been busy with work commitments but have still managed to get some bits done. The wings and engine nacelles are under way and I have zipped up he fuselage.

I've gone for an interior grey/green cockpit for a change. I know that the received wisdom is that everything in front of the main spar would have been black but the nose section of DV372 in the IWM is clearly grey/green and it was built at around the same time as my subject and up the road at Metropolitan Vickers as opposed to by A.V.Roe at Chadderton. It's a good enough excuse for me to do something different :smiling3:

I'm sure someone who really knows something about Lancasters might disagree, but I like it !

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Richard
I really like this build looking good so far.

Cheers Richi

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've finally got a little time to devote to this build.

Some slow progress due to a couple of "short shot" pieces. I'm making the part that goes behind the front turret (with the tear drop on top) from scratch, with card, milliput and plenty of effing and blinding, at the moment. The rest is fixable.

I'm not at all happy with the rear turret and may borrow one from an old Airfix kit, likewise the tail wheel.

I'll post some progress pics later.

I've decided to expand this into a diorama and have got my hands on a few bits and bobs to this end.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I finally got to have a good go at this Lancaster. The bulk of the beast is built and primed, ready for a bit of paint tomorrow.

I've also started some of the ancillary equipment. I've stuck the access tower together....which was fun.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've now applied the upper surface camouflage. This is 'raw', as it was when the masking was removed. The basic post shading is done.

I will re-mask over the next day or so, once this is thoroughly dry, and apply the 'black' to the under surfaces.

I've posted higher resolution piccies than normal which, of course, are bigger files. If it's causing anybody problems I can revert to a lower resolution, just let me know :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looks good Steve and the post shading works well. Nice to see some larger images which aren't causing me any problems.

Z

Ziper_it

Excellent painting here, love the shading already applied.

Francesco

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps.

I plan ultimately to put the Lancaster into a little diorama. I've started building some of the airfield sets bits and pieces. I won't be using them all by a long chalk, but I do like the look of this access tower.

I'll definitely put this in with some erk fiddling about with an engine, propeller or something :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Can anyone confirm the position of the auxiliary (ground) power input socket to which an external power source would be connected to operate the aircraft's built in winches when bombing up?

I have a picture of a 'trolley acc' positioned by the port main wheel and seem to remember that the connection was made on a panel inside the wheel well at the front. My Haynes Lancaster manual seems to have gone AWOL, but I bet it would be in there if someone else has one.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice job on the camo. Is it your usual WEM paints.. Looks very nice indeed.

Good to see you build something with out wings as well lol

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Nice job on the camo. Is it your usual WEM paints.. Looks very nice indeed.Good to see you build something with out wings as well lol

Ian M
They are WEM paints. A considerably lightened coat first followed by shading with the unlightened colours followed by an overspray with the moderately lightened colours just to tone it all down a bit.

Not just the tower Ian, I'm half way through a tractor and am eyeing up the bomb trolleys! I've got a bunch of figures in the freezer which I'll clean up and do some surgery on too.

Cheers

Steve

S

Stevekir

\ said:
…….

The nights in-between each raid with fear eating away your insides.

Laurie
I know a little about that. In 1972 I had symptoms which indicated the distinct possibility of kidney cancer. The fear set in. It was like nails driven into my skull. Even when in a meeting it returned every 5 minutes. In three weeks I was in hospital having an X-ray-and -dye scan. As I arrived I asked the ward doctor what proportion of people with my symptoms had cancer. He said "about 20%". That's way too high. The scan was OK. Of course my fear lasted only three weeks. To have it every day, for months, years, would fry my brain.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Steve, I was going to reply earlier but lost my internet with no power. All the photos I see have a trolley which I presume is a ground power unit of some sort at the rear starboard side of the fuselage in front of the tail plane. Can't find any conclusive information but there is an interesting write up on bomb loading a Lancaster here http://www.airpages.ru/eng/uk/lan_01.shtml

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I found it Joe. It was inside the inner port wheel well as I remembered.......the old memory isn't completely shot yet!

Canadian built Lancasters had this standard British 'Ground Power Unit' socket in the same position, but also had another 'North American' style socket in the starboard nacelle.

If you have seen the film 'Night Bombers' there is some excellent footage of a Lancaster being bombed up and a trolley accumulator is visible by the port main wheel, which makes perfect sense now.

I've got an accumulator and plan to have my Lancaster being bombed up, hoisting some ordnance into the bomb bay using its built in hoists.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: