1/72 "We made it!" B-17 emergency landing at Rattlesden, Suffolk. 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello boys,

Here is my finished 'Crash' diorama.

Having no reference pickies, I had to just try and guess what the scene might have looked like.

It's in 1/72 and consists of a very old Airfix B-17 and Airfix USAAF personnel. The sheds are scratch built. (See my "We made it!" build thread)

The crippled aircraft has made an emergency landing shortly after crossing the Channel from a raid. One engine has been destroyed and the bomber is badly damaged......

After landing, the aircraft has skidded along the grass and has smashed into some huts....Luckily these were only used for storage and no one was inside. On coming to a stop, the starb'd undercarriage leg has collapsed. The ground crew are busy taking bits off and the aircrew are looking at the wreck....A Provost Marshal stands guard.

I hope you approve of this dio., I must confess to loosing the buzz with this on a couple of occasions, but all ended up O.K.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 49380

View attachment 49381

View attachment 49382

View attachment 49383

View attachment 49384

View attachment 49385

View attachment 49386

View attachment 49387

View attachment 49388

View attachment 49389

View attachment 49390

View attachment 49391

View attachment 49392

View attachment 49393

View attachment 49394

View attachment 49395

View attachment 49396

View attachment 49397

View attachment 49398

View attachment 49399

View attachment 49400

View attachment 49401

We made it....just! 073.jpg

We made it....just! 035.jpg

We made it....just! 036.jpg

We made it....just! 038.jpg

We made it....just! 043.jpg

We made it....just! 044.jpg

We made it....just! 045.jpg

We made it....just! 046.jpg

We made it....just! 051.jpg

We made it....just! 052.jpg

We made it....just! 056.jpg

We made it....just! 057.jpg

We made it....just! 059.jpg

We made it....just! 060.jpg

We made it....just! 061.jpg

We made it....just! 062.jpg

We made it....just! 063.jpg

We made it....just! 065.jpg

We made it....just! 067.jpg

We made it....just! 068.jpg

We made it....just! 070.jpg

We made it....just! 072.jpg

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
top class Ron ..... very enjoyable looking at the pictures .... rgds Lindsey

C

CDW

I think i'm gonna try "losing the buzz" if this is the end result Ron

An absolutely brilliant piece of model work !!!!!

5 of them shiney night time twinkly things mate :smiling3: :smiling3:

M

mobear

well this was certainly worth the wait,58s all the way for a top class dio is what i say

mobear

First Name
Aaron
Hi Ron, This could pass for 1:35 scale with those figs. I like the just rightness of this scene.

The last bird eye view pic is fantastic. The sheds are amazing. Great weathering all round.

Me likey.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys for the great comments and for the 5*. I'm well chuffed you think it worth it....

When I mentioned 'Loosing the buzz.' it was just that I couldn't get into my mind's eye just what wooden buildings would look like having been bulldozed over, rather than smashed into at high speed. I just had to step back for a while.

Anyway, I knew this dio. was jinxed. I've just had a second look at the pictures........Anyone spot the not so deliberate mistake?.....What a nob!

Cheers,

Ron

C

Caledonia

Hi Ron, forgot this was 1/72 superb work as always. Don't know how you come up with these ideas. Needless to say add my 5 Star to your shelf. Cheers Derek

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
can't spot nothing odd or out of place ... r u going to leave us hanging for a bit until u let us in on what the "problem is" ...rgds lindsey

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Derek, thanks for your post, it's alway good to read your input.

Lindsey, I'll let it run on, someone's is bound to spot it soon.....Take another look my mate!

The lucky winner will receive a weeks pass for the Public Gallery at the Levison Enquiry!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats a great result Ron. If by the mistook you mean the silvering on the decals on the tail, sod that, the rest is brilliant.

Five stars from me as well!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, thanks for your comments and the 5*. great stuff!

No it's not the silvering....I built this model, many, many moons ago when it was first released. I didn't know what silvering was way back then, I just slapped the decals on!lol

It's something so elementary, I can't believe I didn't spot it before I 'Went public'......

So c'mon boys, shape up. This is not like my good buddies to not spot such naughtinesses!

Cheers,

Ron

T

TonyBv9

Is it that the remaining propellers aren't bent?

I should add it looks great, by the way.

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Last edited by a moderator:
M

mobear

apart from three lines on the deck when the wheels are intact i cant see nothing lol

mobear

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry Ole, no pass for you this time......Close mind, but the three marks are the remains of the grass and soil dragged off onto the concrete.

Thanks for trying.

Cheers,

Ron

J

Jazz

Very nice model, really do like it if the marking are out of 5 then i would give it a 5 also

as for the mistake....now i have never build an aircraft but is it that the back wheel was in the closed position ie flying instead of down for landing.....bet there are turms for all that but not being a plan person i have no idea what they are

anyway one amazing model :thumbsup:

P

Polux

Hello Ron; very nice diorama!! 5* as well!! And I would risk to say that it was a problem with the back "flaps"...

Best regards

Polux

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Very nice model, really do like it if the marking are out of 5 then i would give it a 5 alsoas for the mistake....now i have never build an aircraft but is it that the back wheel was in the closed position ie flying instead of down for landing.....bet there are turms for all that but not being a plan person i have no idea what they are

anyway one amazing model :thumbsup:
Wo hay! a pass winging it's way to Jason.....Spot on mate!

The tail wheel is retracted and the model is resting on the ball turret......I could wriggle out of it by stating that when the aircraft came to a halt and everything was switched off, the hybollocks did a funny, and retracted the wheel and caused the aircraft to quietly sink onto the turret....But that would never have happened....Would it?

Top marks Jason,

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hello Ron; very nice diorama!! 5* as well!! And I would risk to say that it was a problem with the back "flaps"...Best regards

Polux
Thank you for the very kind post Polux and go at the quiz, but as you can see Jason gets the cookie!

Cheers,

Ron

J

Jazz

woohoo, not bad for a not flyer, was waiting for all the technical names for the wheels up and down thingy

still once again amazing model ron