1 compressor and 2 airbrushes - is this too good to be true?

M

Mike

This seems too much of a bargain:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoxHunter-KMS-Airbrush-Compressor-Airbrushes/dp/B0054Q384A/ref=sr_1_6?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1412847443&sr=1-6&keywords=airbrush

What do you think guys, too good to be true?

0ne48thtel

Mike I would save your money add another £20 or so to it and get one with a tank on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPLETE-AIRBRUSH-KIT-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-WITH-TANK-AIR-BRUSH-SPRAY-DECORATING-/350446067151?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item5198369dcf

This is the sort of set up I use and think quite a few on here do. The airbrushes are cheapo ones but ok if you are just starting out with spraying.

You can always (budget allowing) purchase better air brushes later.

L

Laurie

Mike I have found you only get what you pay for and some times less. Very rare to get more.

If you buy a good airbrush you will have the luxury of knowing that others who have that brush will recommend it.

The airbrushe you are contemplating is an unknown quantity unless you can find someone who uses them. Also can you get spares for them ie needle nozzle. Also does it have non corrosive resistant seals. Some thinners will eat them.

You can buy the same compressor for about £50 so you are paying about £25 for the airbrushes. Decision perhaps is do you save that £25 towards a brush with good seals a reputation and replaceable parts or take a chance.

On the compressor front to get better constant airflow a compressor with a tank is desirable. I started with a tankless compressor and found a considerable difference the tanked type made to the paint finish.

Laurie

M

Mike

Thanks for the advice guys, here's where I am at.

I've been dipping my toe back into the model making game as I find it very relaxing and a far better use of my spare time, although I have no idea what to do with the models once done, it is a good sense of achievement to see a finished article. My frustration has been around the smell and how long paint takes to dry, both problems solved by switching to Acrylics.

During this journey I picked up a cheapo Humbrol airbrush, of the kind that takes an aerosol can, which was much much better than those I could get with my paint brushes (more due to my lack of skill and practice with the brush!) and, more over, it's fun! I'm getting good results with a £15 airbrush, it's the pressure I'm struggling with.

However, I've found the cans don't last long and splutter a lot as the pressure change from a full can to an empty can is difficult to manage, but I'm still enjoying this so looking for the next step up, again, dipping toe.

So I think I'm not overly bothered if this comes with two cheap airbrushes, as long as they're gravity fed (I'm using way too much paint using a feed system, especially when the paint is thinned as I can't really put it back in the pot) and work, it's the compressor I'm really after with something that'll get me by a few models before I decide to tip my toe yet further!

Based on the feedback above, it would seem to get constant pressure it's a tank I need, well that's only £5 extra

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoxHunter-Airbrush-Compressor-Double-Airbrushes/dp/B004XP7K9W/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1412848488&sr=1-1&keywords=airbrush+compressor+tank

I am now even more tempted, even if Laurie's burnt through 4 compressors!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Mike, remember the old saying......'If it's too good to be true, it will be!'

L

Laurie

Well to be fair Mike two were replaced under the guarantee. Best though after my little turn yesterday to switch off when not around. The body of the compressor was red hot and would have burnt my skin.

Others on the forum have had the same model for years and have much more use, judging by the models turned around, than I have. So just unlucky if you get a Friday afternoon job.

Sure it will be better than the system you are using at present. I had the same problem with smell and switched to acrylics. I found the best bet was Vallejo Air for airbrushing as there is no smell at all. Some acrylics use different thinners and these have a slight smell. Nice thing about Vallejo Air is that the pigments have been ground much finer for the specific use in an airbrush.

You are correct on gravity fed. This allows direct mixing in the cup and adding thinners. Vallejo have dropper tops to the little paint bottles and the thinners making mixing easy directly into the cup then using a paint brush to give a stir.

Laurie

D

dubster72

Michael, the AS-186 compressor with tank is the same as mine. It's reasonably quiet (no neighbour complaints at 11pm!) , although it does run hot. I solved this by using a cheap fan.

The airbrushes are your generic Chinese knock offs. The gravity fed one looks very similar to the BD/HS-30. It's a useful AB, and is capable of decent results. I sprayed these with one of them

The quality of construction & materials won't be as high as with a name brand, and you can't use solvents. But as you're using acrylics, this shouldn't be a problem. Spare needles & nozzles are available on eBay.

Cheers Patrick

M

Mike

OK, as I'm on Amazon Prime, I've ordered, should arrive tomorrow.

Will accept that it may not be the best quality kit, but a marked improvement on what I have already! And the next toe dipping will be the airbrush itself!

Wish me luck :smiling:

W

Waffen Bucks

View attachment 89961

View attachment 89962

This looks identical to the one I bought about 3 years ago. Haven't had a problem with it.
I try not to have it on too long, in case it gets too hot, but I've done a few models and my daughters Death Star Clock with it. Pretty quiet, no problems with the brushes themselves.

I have heard a few horror stories about them, seems to be a bit hit and miss.

1005642_301338040012113_1339049880_n.jpg

10300963_10152425124704785_8528675823322671046_n.jpg

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mine was purchased from Airbrush Heaven, even let me make my own bundle-deal. Only used it a few times but so far so good, the air tank is very useful, constant supply of pressured air, love it. Also got a portable spray booth. Unfortunately the courier lost it so the eBay seller upgraded my kit to include the hose pipe and connectors FOC, saved over £30 !! so very happy with that.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
There's a review of this set on one of Steve Brodie's recent posts.

I've used a similar cheap airbrush for nearly 3 years now and the only problems I've had have been self-inflicted - not cleaning it properly, getting the paint thickness wrong etc. If you're only using acrylics, you shouldn't have any problems with the seals falling apart due to using 'hot' cleaners.

The biggest problem with these is getting hold of spares, so if you break anything you'd have to buy a new brush.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
my first set up was exactly the same as that one

the compressor served me well for 4 very hard working years before it died,...certainly got my moneys worth out of it

the suction feed airbrush is useless in my opinion....used it once and binned it

the other ab worked great as a very budget ab, in fact only a few months ago i bought another for 15 quid to use for a few things to save my iwata

as long as you look after it properly it will give good service, especially as its your first so you can learn with it before moving on to something better

D

Deleted member 3568

i have the as186 and have had no problems with it (apart from sometimes when it starts.up to recharge the tank it seems to get stuck but turning it off and on again seems to do the trick. i think its ok for me but its your choice in the end, even if you buy a good quality one you can still get the one which slipped through quality control or had a dodgy part . life is really all just a game of chance and we can all over think things, i say make a decision and jump in with both feet.

S

Stevekir

18 months ago I bought a tanked compressor that looks identical to the one illustrated. The piston part does get warm but then I never run it for more than a total of about 5 minutes in any hour. I would be surprised if it got too hot unless you were painting a ginormous model all in one go, or a barn door!

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
OK, as I'm on Amazon Prime, I've ordered, should arrive tomorrow.Will accept that it may not be the best quality kit, but a marked improvement on what I have already! And the next toe dipping will be the airbrush itself!

Wish me luck :smiling3:
I started off with an Iwata and I never regretted it. Always try to get airbrushes by H&S, Iwata or badger

John

M

Mike

Well, it arrived, and OMG it's so much fun! Much better with a steady airflow and control over the pressure, got Acrylics to spray which I couldn't do with a can.

Using Acrylics also makes it much easier to clean.

I had an aerosol disaster with an ME109B, which was recovered with a hairy brush, I have another that I've started spraying, will put up comparison pics up when I'm done!