10ml Black Gloss - Mr Hobby

S

Stevekir

10ml Black Gloss - Mr Hobby, H002 I have used this by brush to paint narrow raised stripes and am impressed by the smooth and very shiny result. (Being a gloss paint there is no need to apply a gloss varnish.) I now want to experiment airbrushing it on larger surfaces. I would buy it from John of course, but modelsRgo give a fuller description:

Mr Hobby item no.: H002

Gloss, water based acrylic paint for plastic model kits. Permanent once dry.

For best results apply by airbrush using Mr Color Levelling Thinner, Mr Color Thinner or Tamiya X-20A for thinning/clean up.

I plan to airbrush it with Mr Color Levelling Thinner. I particularly want a mirror gloss (for a car) and am also considering Tamiya Lacquer (decanted from its spray can) but that of course smells to high heaven and stinks the house out, so an acrylic gloss paint would be good, provided it gives a really hard gloss. Does it?

Has anyone got experience in using this?

C

Caledonia

Hi Steve, You have made the right decision, I used Mr Color Levelling Thinner on my current F-14B build and would highly recommend it for both Mr Hobby and Tamiya paints. Its better with Tamiya than Tamiya's own thinner. Cheers Derek

P.S. Brush painting large areas isn't such a good idea with Mr Hobby.

Last edited:
S

Stevekir

\ said:
......P.S. Brush painting large areas isn't such a good idea with Mr Hobby.
Yes. My trial was on a small piece about 5 x 10 mm Where I brush on, it will be on narrow (about 3 mm wide) areas raised a little above an already painted surface. Or I might airbrush it on, but bleeding under the tape on the already painted area can be a problem. In the past I pressed the edge of the tape down very firmly and then given a couple of coats of Pledge Klear, covering that edge a millimetre or so on each side.

Thanks for the info on the Hobby stuff. I will certainly try it.

C

Caledonia

Hi Steve, For areas that you want to protect from bleeding, I find the 6mm Tamiya Tape best; it has a different texture when compared to the wider widths of Tamiya tape, and is more pliable. I use a toothpick/cocktail stick sharpened to a chisel point, and finish off the pressing down of the edges by stroking from on the tape onto the area to be painted. Hope this helps. Cheers Derek

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Hi Steve, For areas that you want to protect from bleeding, I find the 6mm Tamiya Tape best; it has a different texture when compared to the wider widths of Tamiya tape, and is more pliable. I use a toothpick/cocktail stick sharpened to a chisel point, and finish off the pressing down of the edges by stroking from on the tape onto the area to be painted. Hope this helps. Cheers Derek
Thanks. That's helpful. I have some of the 6mm tape.