3.7cm Flak 37 Anti-Aircraft Gun and Sd.Ah 52 trailer (Tamiya)

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Having found some inspiration from an image https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/whats-on-the-bench-2023.40809/page-5#post-664490 my Dragon Sd.Kfz.7 project will now sit abandoned along with a towed Flak gun. Although these vehicles were capable of towing far heavier guns, when you’re making a quick exit you grab what you can, I guess.:face-with-head-bandage:

The kit is the venerable and very ancient 1980’s Tamiya kit and although it is nowhere near as accurate or highly detailed as many more modern offerings it had already been built so it was a simple decision to start work on it right away. Airbrushed with Tamiya and MRP paints with extensive use of hairspray with plenty of chipping of multiple paint layers. It then received an enamel filter and was finished off with Abtielung oil paints.

It now awaits some dry foliage and a little dust as per the period image.

IMG_4760.JPGIMG_4761.JPGIMG_4755.JPGIMG_4763.JPGIMG_4761 (3).JPG20230301_113907.jpg redused size.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Very nice, once again :smiling3:

Looks like somebody nicked not just the FlaK’s wheels but also those of the half-track. Interesting that it remains level — would it still have the front wheel on the left, or is the weight of the gun enough to keep it that way?

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Very nice, once again :smiling3:

Looks like somebody nicked not just the FlaK’s wheels but also those of the half-track. Interesting that it remains level — would it still have the front wheel on the left, or is the weight of the gun enough to keep it that way?
Cheers Jakko.

Both front tyres are gone, and the axle is fully articulated down on the driver’s side so the other wheel hub is likely suspended by a large rock or build-up of ground material. The large stone leant against the front was likely used too. One wheel ring half lies on the driver’s side hub as that would have split during removal. The Trumpeter kit builds up the front wheels using the two halves around the hub so one will be employed to replicate the image.

I dont think the removal of either or indeed both wheels would effect the stance from side to side but just as you modelled on your 8T, it would tip the nose down a little if empty.. The ground surface is very rough around both of the vehicles and could be spoil from 'locals' trying to dig around the wheels to remove them. I'm still trying to make out the items on the ground below the passenger entrance.

20230301_113931.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
From the front, it does look like it’s tipped forward a little — it’s not as apparent from the rear, IMHO. Chances are the wheel thieves propped up the axle somehow, because based on what I learned when I built my Sd.Kfz. 7 it would be hard to take both of them off otherwise (on mine, they used bricks).