3rd coat options

J

jpjeffery

It's been a while since I've done this...

I'm 48 years old. The last time I made a model was when I was about 14 years old (Matchbox were my favourite), but even so I probably had lower standards back then. I've been meaning to complete a model in my spare time for the last few years but it's just never happened (spare time, what spare time?)

But I'm in the middle of a two week holiday in Yorkshire and I've challenged myself to complete a model of the starship USS Voyager (NCC-74656) while I'm here.

So far I've used up one 'tin' of Revell 371 paint for the main fuselage colour but I realised early on that one just wasn't going to be enough so had to buy more.

Except that I couldn't find anywhere that sold Revell paints...

Humbrol 196 was chosen from the conversion chart but once I got back I found that wasn't even close to Revell 371! After adding some (Revell) white I've come close enough and completed the second coat.

But - and I'm FINALLY getting to my point! - I can still make out brush marks and some of the details (e.g. grills) are getting filled in by the paint.

So, while I'm not after perfection, and the (hopefully completed) model will not be coming home with me to Kent, I'd still like to get a decent finish with a third coat.

What are my options? Should I do the third coat with some thinned-out paint instead of what comes out of the pot? What should I thin it out with, water or thinners (which I originally bought for brush cleaning until I discovered water seems to do a better job)?

:lala:

All advice gratefully received.

JPJ

T

tecdes

First welcome to the forum very friendly here & you will get good advice as I have received during my stay. Secondly your christian name.

Down to business but I am not a hand painter I use airbrush.

But. Before applying your third coat I would wet & dry with 1200 or 1500 grade paper. This will help eliminate brush marks or at least flatten them out.

After that some one else will tell you about thinning.

Laurie

J

jpjeffery

Thanks, Laurie.

I've never tried airbrushing, although I'm aware that it gets better results. But since I'm going to be a 'less-than-once-a-year' modeller it's not going to be something I'm going to invest in, sadly. Shame, it looks fun.

What's this 'wet and dry' technique though?

Jeff

T

tecdes

Hi Jeff

Yes bit expensive if you are only a once a year model maker.

Yes you get a great finish with air brushing but it is expensive. Like all things sport, activities, hobbies depends on the time & money you want to invest. Non of them like a business are subject to commercial restraint just our fancy.

Wet & dry.No different form ordinary dry sanding. But with the addition of water & a wet & dry sand paper. The paper does not go all soggy like ordinary paper. Best place is probably Halfords or a places that deals in motor work. I usually cut a piece about 2" square fold over to give a good hold. Dip in water & gently sand keeping the paper wet all the time. This will give a good smooth finish. Best not to put to much pressure on the paper as you will loose the water. I always wet & dry a model before any paint is applied & after priming & each coat.

Laurie

J

jpjeffery

Just to answer my own question, I tried a little water. I overdid the first colour but found with the second colour that just a drop or two was enough, about a 1:6 ratio.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jeff, I presume we are talking acrylics?

I only brush paint and I think your problem started with your first coat and possibly your choice of brush.

Your opening post suggests to me, particularily your reference to blocked grills, you used the paint straight from the 'tin', if so that is the reason for the initial brush marks.....Also, when doing reasonably large areas, always use a flat, chiselled head brush. If you use a pointed head one, disaster will be your friend!

The paint needs to be thinned down, I never use exactitudes, just what goes on nice and smooth, I just get it reasonably runny but not opaque. The first coat won't cover completely, but subsequent ones will.

The only thing I can suggest is you just keep repeating the coats with the thinned paint until the marks are removed.

I hope the above is of some use to you....

Ron