41(F) Squadron in 1/48 - Gloster Javelin FAW8

S

snapper41

The latest addition to my 41(F) Sqn in 1/48 project; the new-ish Airfix Gloster Javelin. This has an Alley Cat resin conversion to turn it into the FAW8 with the short and up-turned nose, rather than the 9 that the kit comes as. The conversion set fits perfectly - no problems at all! The rest of the kit is excellent - Airfix at their best. Finished as a 41(F) machine based at Wattisham, 1960; decals by Xtradecal/Alley Cat and Airfix.

View attachment 81674

View attachment 81675

View attachment 81676

View attachment 81677

View attachment 81678

jav1.jpg

jav2.jpg

jav3.jpg

jav4.jpg

jav5.jpg

Last edited:
P

phikoleoputra

Nice build you got there. 5* all the way mate. Cheers Leo

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great addition to your collection top notch beautifully done regards John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats a cracker. Was the ladder and the FOD's in the conversion set or are they another set.

Ian M

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is winged beauty, stunning work Andy.

Si:smiling3:

S

snapper41

Ian - the ladder and FOD blanks are in the kit - another example of Airfix upping their game

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
:oops: Shows how well I have looked at mine, I have one in the stash. :rolleyes:

Having seen your one, I want to build mine now!

Ian M

W

Willi262

Looks nice, the only thing missing with this one then is the ground crew...

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Absolutely beautiful model Andy. Outstanding workmanship. This 41 squadron series is a real labour of love for you and it really shows,

This will be one terrific collection when complete.

The Javelin is another stunning example of your craft.

Well done sir

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job Andy , superbly built and painted , another worthy addition to the 41 sqn ranks ! cheers tony

S

snapper41

Thank you everyone for your kind words; it's always nice to have your work appreciated, especially by your fellow modellers. Paul - yes, it is a labour of love (sometimes hate!); I served on 41(F) Sqn as a young Flying Ofiicer from 1991 - 1994 as the Sqn intelligence officer. In the 26 years that I served in total, my time on 41(F) was some of the best. Oddly, I haven't yet built a Jaguar, but it's in the stash! I think that next year I will probably have finished the project, and that I might display it at some shows; who knows, a one-man SIG at Telford 2015!

I forgot to mention that I replaced the Airfix seats in the Javelin with resin ones (Pavla, I think); excellent detail with straps. I also replaced the kit undercarriage with white metal parts from SAC - the kit is a weighty beast, the more so with at least 25g of lead in the nose, and the resin parts too, so it needs a little extra strength in its legs. In terms of weathering, I kept it to a minimum - Javelins weren't in service for very long, so didn't get that worn (except for those based in Singapore), so I just faded a few random panels here and there, and kept a glossy finish.

First Name
Dave
Anothergreat build Andy.Up to your usual high standard.I bet it was fun applying the wing roundels over those vortex generators?!.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Thanks Dave. The wing decals weren't too bad actually - Airfix have pre-cut them!
Clever Airfix. I really like to hear Airfix doing well. It's probably the only 'institution' still going from my childhood I can recognise !