5th March 2016 - 80yrs Since the first Spitfire flight

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
As the title says, tomorrow is 80 years since the Spitfire first flew. Good job it was alright, or things might be a bit different here in blighty......

Colin M...

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
bbc had a it on the news today about it

shame they had a clip of hurricanes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

D

demon

\ said:
bbc had a it on the news today about it
shame they had a clip of hurricanes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Sounds about right it really winds me up when they do that on programs

Roger

D

demon

Mind you I think the hurricane was better easier to produce easier to service better gun platform more rugged ie could take off from smaller rougher fields the list goes on

Now if opened a can of worms lol

Roger

First Name
Robert
Bravo to R J Mitchell

A shame he never saw his dream of what a legend it became

Robert

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Mind you I think the hurricane was better easier to produce easier to service better gun platform more rugged ie could take off from smaller rougher fields the list goes on
Roger
It goes on to out classed by the Bf 109 F and out of front line service as a fighter in Europe in 1941 :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

D

dubster72

Although the Spitfire was undoubtedly a pretty aircraft & had amazing longevity due to its design, the Hurricane is my personal choice.

It had all the attributes that Roger mentioned, as well as being easier to fly than the Spitfire. That quality was vitally important in 1940 with so many barely trained pilots coming into the fight. Without the Hurricane, we'd most likely have lost the Battle of Britain.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Without the Hurricane, we'd most likely have lost the Battle of Britain.
Undoubtedly, because the alternatives in Fighter Command (assuming there are no more Spitfires, which there weren't) are Blenheims and Defiants, or given a bit of 'what iffery', Furys :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

D

demon

\ said:
It goes on to out classed by the Bf 109 F and out of front line service as a fighter in Europe in 1941 :smiling3:
Cheers

Steve
Point taken :smiling3:

D

demon

Thank God we had both

I love the hurricane though

What's the chance of tamiya doing a 32 scale hurricane ? That would be sweet

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Please don't misunderstand me, I think the Hurricane was a terrific fighter, in 1939/40. We would indeed been up a well known creek without any means of propulsion without it.

I would love to see a really nice 1/32 scale kit. I've built one or two of the old Revell Hurricanes and the Pacific Coast Models kit (which was a bit of a battle in itself)in this scale, but something newer and well engineered would be most welcome.

Cheers

Steve