A bad day at the office for Luftwaffe Major 'Huff' Hfuhruhurr - Tobruk, N. Africa. June 24th 1941

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Steve and Chris.

Chris, it's a left over floor tile from when I laid the floor in our conservatory. I just plonked the model on it rather than just on my cutting mat.

I'll probably do summat similar to my P-40 model shown in the photos I posted earlier in the thread.......

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Update....

I've knocked about and added the nose bit. Then brushed on a second coat of paint to the airframe. I didn't really need this extra coat as the whole thing will be sun bleached.

Also I've very roughly painted in where the cockpit framing goes. For an added touch I've cut out a square of perspex on the drivers side of the cockpit.

P1380595.JPG

P1380596.JPG

P1380597.JPG

Decals added too....
P1380598.JPG

All decaled up. At least all I require.
P1380599.JPG

P1380600.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Chris.
All I need to do now is to beef up the actual canopy framework!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Seated at the front 570, bought my bucket and spade as well , might as well enjoy the sun and sand .
Yours 453

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
I've made a start on the actual cockpit and nose canopies.
I first painted some ordinary thin paper and then once dry, I cut it into very thin slivers. These I will stick on to the plastic.

P1380677.JPG
I ain't going to be too fussy, as I reckon a fair few perspex bits and the framework would have parted company from one and other.

Cheers.
Ron

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
That framing works well...
And gives me ideas that the masking tape I use for seatbelts might also work for canopy framing on poor rendered transparencies

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
And gives me ideas that the masking tape I use for seatbelts might also work for canopy framing on poor rendered transparencies

Thanks Andy and Chris.

Chris, I tried masking tape.....Too thick. Apart from that, once any paint gets under the tape it lifts off.

It might work for someone else, mind. It didn't for me.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Jim.
I doubt this method of framing would work on anything other than an aircraft left to rot for over 30 years in such harsh conditions.

Me thinks it's done its job and thanks again for your positive post.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The aircraft is more or less finished, so on to the base.

If you take a look at my model of poor Flt. Sgt. Dennis Copping's Crashed P-40, which I posted earlier in this thread, you will see two obvious features.
1. His real aircraft ended up reasonably level on the desert floor.
2. The rudder and both elevators are stripped of fabric.

Now on to the JU-88.
Rather than model the aircraft in a similar pose to the P-40, and to use a rather course and lesser know building trade expression, I'm going to position the 88 'On The Scunt'

Also, thanks to Steve (stona) and unlike the fabric on the P-40, I am spared the difficult task of fabricating the skeletal remains of the bomber's rudder and elevators simply because he informed me the A-4 variant had an all metal surface.....Phew! His knowledge saved me from a mass of delicate and time consuming work. Again! Thanks Steve. :thumb2:

The base construction.....

I've used a 20mm sheet of scrap polystyrene from the packing of some sort of domestic appliance.

Using the same material, and to elevate one wing of the aircraft, I've built up a diddy escarpment using small off-cuts of the base.

I then coated the whole base in PVA. then whilst the surface was still wet, I sprinkled ordinary builder's sand all over the thing and let it dry. To this I've glued on the aircraft.

P1380644.JPG

P1380642.JPG

P1380643.JPG

P1380641.JPG

P1380639.JPG

I forgot to mention I also worked in a bit of ordinary filler here and there.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've finished the base.

When the above stage was completely dry and rock hard, I soaked the base with more PVA.
To this I added two steam rollered Weetabix and a few small pebbles smashed up with a lump hammer to a suitable size. The whole shebang was then sprinkled from a dizzy height and again allowed to dry completely.
Once the base was dry, I used a huge flat headed brush and sloshed on a liberal amount of beige/ yellow cheapo paints on both the aircraft and the 'Desert' to try and produce a similar shade of colour on both elements. Also, to try and make for a sun parched scene.

Finally, I waited for Mr. Sun to come out and let Mother Nature add her finishing touch to the model for me.

I stuck in a 1/35 vehicle......."Look what we've found!"

P1380694.JPG

P1380659.JPG

P1380660.JPG

P1380685.JPG

I'll post a few more pickies in 'Dioramas Complete' asap. Plus a diddy bonus.........:thinking:
Thanks for all your great and humorous comments during the build.

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks excellent. Weetabix! I hope Mrs Ron is happy with toast for tomorrow's breakfast. If not , you're in dead lumber :rolling:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looks excellent. Weetabix! I hope Mrs Ron is happy with toast for tomorrow's breakfast. If not , you're in dead lumber :rolling:

Thanks Jim.
I'm glad you like the finished model.
Luckily for me she only has Ma***** (I can't even bring myself to spell it!) on toast and a cuppa for breakfast. So I'm on safe ground.

Thanks again for your input. :thumb2:

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use appropriately painted strips of decal paper - saves gluing them down. No reason masking tape might not work either, as long as it's thin enough.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, thanks for answering my questions regarding the Ju88-A4.
Any thoughts about the finished model?

Ron