A Boiler House.....Minsk, November 1941

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
For those of you who've had enough sun here is summat to cool you down a bit.......

I have been messing with this off and on for a while and finally finished it today. It was good fun finding the bits for the heating system and imagining what it might have looked like 70 odd yrs. ago.....

I have tried to build a primative, wood fired Russian Boiler House nr. Minsk in November 1941. The first flurry of snow has arrived.

The building has been shelled and is now occupied by a German Machine gun crew, who are awaiting a Russian counter attack......

The base is an 8" square X 1" thick, lump of polystyrene packing. The concrete walls are 5mm polystyrene. The reinforcing rods are old electric wires. The roof is corrugated cardboard. The window and doors are plastic card. The roof timbers are coffee stirrers. The hot water tank is a scrap piece of 22mm plastic pipe. The upright boiler is 15mm. pipe. The wall mounted fusebox is scrap styrene and the electric cables are black sewing cotton. The pipework is made from bits of old sprue. The rest is just bits off the garage floor.

The poster is courtesy of Andrew (phalinmegob)

As I just wanted a first fall of snow look, I used polyfilla powder.

The machine gunners are part of the 1/35 Tamiya machine gun crew set.

I hope you like this offering chaps. Please bear in mind though, it is right out of my nut, so a ruck of theatrical licence has been used in it's production!!

The first five pictures are the initial shots of the building before finishing and adding the crew and snow.......

Some of you may notice (As I just have!) the ammo belt has jumped out of the hands of the loader...This is due to the weapon being fired unexpectantly, causing the gent to jump and let go of the belt.....I thank you!

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 48736

View attachment 48737

View attachment 48738

View attachment 48739

View attachment 48740

View attachment 48741

View attachment 48742

View attachment 48743

View attachment 48744

View attachment 48745

View attachment 48746

View attachment 48747

View attachment 48748

View attachment 48749

View attachment 48750

View attachment 48751

View attachment 48752

View attachment 48753

Boiler House Russia 018.jpg

Boiler House Russia 020.jpg

Boiler House Russia 021.jpg

Boiler House Russia 022.jpg

Boiler House Russia 001.jpg

Boiler House Russia 002.jpg

Boiler House Russia 004.jpg

Boiler House Russia 006.jpg

Boiler House Russia 007.jpg

Boiler House Russia 010.jpg

Boiler House Russia 012.jpg

Boiler House Russia 013.jpg

Boiler House Russia 014.jpg

Boiler House Russia 015.jpg

Boiler House Russia 016.jpg

Boiler House Russia 017.jpg

The Boiler house 004.jpg

The Boiler house 003.jpg

H

hoggatt

wow i love it Ron, great work some great detail in there too .

shane

P

phalinmegob

bloody hell ron,you have gone and done it again,fantastic job. i would swear that the concrete in picture five was real. you can have a big five from me for your use of household scrap to make such amazing models.

T

tommy1drop

Hi Ron fantastic build mate, the concrete looks real, great job.

Tom

C

CDW

good stuff mate, Theatrical licence isn't needed in my opinion .... it looks quite realistic and believable.

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
top class stuff Ron ......as u quite rightly say u do not have to spend a hatful to make a realistic looking diorama ......really do like looking at your projects ... kind rgds lindsey

M

mobear

Ron thats great mate,love the small details in it,like the ammo belt,and the wire in the the brickwork,plus the boilers stains,5 *s big ones from me

mobear

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great comments boys, the 5*, and for taking the time to post on this thread. I really appreciate it.

I hope the dioramas from S.M. members give a bit of incentive to someone to have a go......who otherwise might baulk at the idea of building one themselves.

They don't have to cost big Bucks to do one either, and are great fun to make.

Thanks again,

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Clearly up to your usual ***** standard Ron.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input Dave, glad you like it....Nearly finished your grunts......well, one a least!!

Cheers,

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I got lost in the photos Ron, love it matey and a big five.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hey John, where have you been hiding mate?

Thanks for the positive comments and the 5*.....I appreciate it.

Keep having fun.

Ron

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice. I'm always very impressed with your work Ron.

Colin M...

C

Curtis

Amazing, some real skill there Ron!

Brilliant detail, 11/10

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Colin and Curtis for taking the time to have a look at my model and posting your excellent comments......

Cheers,

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Hey John, where have you been hiding mate?
Big problem with my old lap top mate, had to save up to get a new one. But i'm up and running (well, i am when it stops with the updates lol), now have 500gig hd so loads of room for photos.

Have fun, John

R

rogue-one

coffee stirrers for roof timber...genius! as always ron. its top work, some of the pictures make it look so real! the figures look great. it really does have a frozen feel!

709thsoldat

How did you make the corrugated roofing? Is it cardboard? if it is, how did you separate the top layer to expose the corrugated part? I am having the hardest time over here trying to figure this out.