A Brace of carriers

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi guys

i'm continuing to finish off a number of projects - setting mh target of not starting my ESC cavalry charge has realy had the effect of focussing me on completing these started-but-not-finished projects. This thread contains two universal carriers I started a while ago. The first if the Riich mortar carrier:

699CEA4D-0EE7-4A06-B8D9-0FA0272DD26D.jpeg70419FF0-1D2A-44DA-B549-7A0AB52423B1.jpeg0D9EDA07-6D32-45EC-9F27-80BFED9908B0.jpeg

The second is also a Riich carrier, yhis time with the Black Dog equipment load. The Black dog set is reasly good, but designed for the Tamiya carrier so a little surgery and filling is needed to get it to fit the Riich kit - hence the bandage netting, which hides a number of sins!!!
9C8F642D-01ED-4F99-8BBD-4FFFA3CA22A7.jpegBBCDF647-0878-4070-8846-FD6BD1BA1C69.jpeg375B0A5D-1E5A-48A0-AABD-ADAFFD7AF297.jpeg

The eagle eyed will notice a number of parts not fitted yet - they will be as the painting progresses, which brings me to a cry for help:

which Tamiya colour is best for a British afv circa 1944/45?

Peter

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
which Tamiya colour is best for a British afv circa 1944/45?
Straight from the bottle? None. A Universal Carrier at that time would be either SCC 2 (brown) if it hadn’t been recently repainted, or SCC 15 (olive drab) if it had. By 1945, you can expect the latter but you can certainly defend painting it in the former.

The authority on the subject is Mike Starmer:
His Tamiya mixes for those colours are:
  • SCC 2: 5 parts XF68 + 4 parts XF3 + 1 part XF1
  • SCC 15: 5 parts XF81 + 1 part XF58 + 1 part XF71

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I don't have any recommendations for paint Peter but those two are looking the bomb......glad you posted 'em up. ;)

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Straight from the bottle? None. A Universal Carrier at that time would be either SCC 2 (brown) if it hadn’t been recently repainted, or SCC 15 (olive drab) if it had. By 1945, you can expect the latter but you can certainly defend painting it in the former.

The authority on the subject is Mike Starmer:
His Tamiya mixes for those colours are:
  • SCC 2: 5 parts XF68 + 4 parts XF3 + 1 part XF1
  • SCC 15: 5 parts XF81 + 1 part XF58 + 1 part XF71
Jakko

thanks for the link, typical that there are loads of sets of German afv colours, but none for british and they have to be mixed!

Peter

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
And even the British paints you can can get from different brands each have problems. Don’t buy MIG SCC 15, for example, it’s more like a medium green than OD, and their SCC 2 looks too light to me. I also have SCC 2 from AK (the water-based one, not the lacquer) and it looks closer to the real colour (based on the paint swatches in Mike Starmer’s books) to me than the MIG one does.

For SCC15, if you want to represent a fairly recently painted vehicle and especially if you’re going to weather the model on top of that, then you can probably just take a good American OD paint. SCC 15 was intended to be the same colour as that, but differed slightly in practice. This got worse when the paint aged, with SCC 15 turning more green while American OD turned more brown.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Peter, I would go with Jakko's tips. I had to mix up SCC 15 and it is a brownish/olive drab shade that I used on my Comet, but when sprayed it came out as more olive than brown. Just checked the bottle now and yes! it still looks brown in the bottle....
So go with a near colour and the wash will tone it down along with the weathering.
Nice work on the Carriers by the way...
Mike

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I have a couple of empty Tamiya jars so I think I will make up a full jar of Jakko's formula so I only have to do it once - I do have a few more carriers kits to start at some point so it will be nice to have the paint already mixed.

off to the model shop tomorrow to get the Tamiya paints.

Peter

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What I did when I needed SCC 15 for the Grant CDL I built not too long ago, was pour all of a 10 ml bottle of XF-81 into a washed-out 23 ml bottle, then add 2 ml of the other two colours.¹ However, this turned too light, really, because you can’t actually get all of the contents out of the smaller bottle so I proportionally added a little too much of the other two.

¹ Quick tip: first measure out 10 ml of water, put it into the empty 23 ml bottle, and put a piece of tape on the outside to mark the level. Then add another 2 ml and put a second piece of tape, and repeat with 2 ml more. Pour out the water, dry the bottle, and put in the paint to the levels marked by the tape.