A lesson learned!

D

dubster72

A while back I did some maintenance on my compressor, taking it to bits etc.

One thing I wanted to check was if any water had built up in the tank. So I put down an old towel & unscrewed the plug - nothing, not a drop even when vigorously shaken.

Cool I thought, that's handy :smiling3:

Thinking about it today, the compressor is over a year old, surely some water would be in there!

So I repeated the process, but 'this time I ran the compressor without the plug in

Cue Niagara Falls of rusty oily water!

So if maintaining your comp, try this to expel any water.

Yours with a mop

Patrick

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
If the tank is rusty inside ....... You can get sealer for it. I've used it on motorcycle tanks (I used to restore them ......... You pour it in and slosh it around and it seals the tank and traps any rust in there......... When it sets "voila" no rust. You can get it online ........ Try some of that.

Peter

D

Dave Garrett

PATRICK: how often do i have to do that please ?

PETER: my trade is motorcycle technician and yes tank sealer is great but if you have holes larger than pinholes in the tank it doesn't work do you know if you can use it to seal the tank before it goes rusty to stop it from going rusty ???

D

Dave Garrett

off the record patrick i still have those paints and also humbrol acrylics if you still want them i managed to talk swmbo into letting me get the other revell paints to complete the corvette so they are still available

D

dubster72

With hindsight, it would have been a good idea to apply a protective substance before using the compressor - by now I reckon it's too late. Although as I'm planning to build a near-silent compressor, I might see if the tank can be improved using a rust-killer.

As far as maintenance goes, every 6 months would be ideal IMHO.

Dave, I'm still working on SWMBO! But try eBay, they'll get snapped up

L

Laurie

\ said:
Although as I'm planning to build a near-silent compressor
Mighty interesting Patrick. Living in a flat when the last compressor packed it in I looked at these low noise ones. The one with refrigerator compressors. They were very expensive and I was not sure if the decibel levels were as good as they stated.

Is that what you had in mind. Be interested to hear how you get on.

Laurie

D

dubster72

\ said:
Mighty interesting Patrick. Living in a flat when the last compressor packed it in I looked at these low noise ones. The one with refrigerator compressors. They were very expensive and I was not sure if the decibel levels were as good as they stated.
Is that what you had in mind. Be interested to hear how you get on.

Laurie
I'll post it up if it works Laurie!

D

Dave Garrett

thanks pat i will be prepared to keep hold of the paints for you untill she says ok i thought about ebay but would it be worth it with all the charges etc