A new addition...................

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sometime ago, I bought a Kingroon 3D printer - I was never able to get this thing to work, so I gave it up as a bad job, - at least there are some spares I can use off the carcass!
I'd been following Ebay auctions & I saw a Biqu B1 - spares or repair - no bids, best offer - I offered £60, this B1 has pretty good reviews & I've got a load of spares on hand. Cost me £68 inc delivery. It arrived via Evri in a box that was covered with so much duct tape, it was a silver cube! After about 20 minutes hacking, I managed to extract the machine. On first inspection. the build plate wouldn't move, the hot end wouldn't move, the spool holder was bent - it looked as if it had been dropped, or whacked. No instructions, no tools. Got the manual from the 'net & stripped thething down. I replaced the drive belts - a broken wheel on the build plate, generally assembled it according to my experiences with other printers. Plugged it in, switched on & it worked! Tried a print, but halfway through, the Y stepper motor dirve wheel came off - replaced & tightened the grub screws & away again. So far it is the quietest machine I've used........................
DSCF4817.JPG
No idea why the thing is that vile metallic pink! but I couldn't care less! Printing a 1/72 Churchill AVRE at the moment.
Total cost was £68, but included in the box were 2 brand new spools of my favourite filament - costing about £ 25!, so in effect I got the printer for £43. It'll take a bit ot tweaking to get the best results, but the signs are looking good. I have to say I feel much better after my SAD light sessions & new meds & actually getting the modelmakng urge back!
Dave

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Those SAD lamps are amazing aren't they!! Brilliant you're back in the swing of things! I look forward to seeing your projects develop over time!
Yaayy!!

3D printers are a dark art to me, stuff of science fiction, bit like a Star Fleet replicator! I didn't realize they were relatively inexpensive

Miko (with 3D printers there's something else for missus Miko to be worried about!)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I didn't realize they were relatively inexpensive
I've only bought cheap/used/broken printers - luckily I'm mechanically minded, and patient! I started off last year with a budget of £100, and just about managed to do it. You can spend a LOT of money on a printer, but I'm just a hobbyist, I don't need high speed printing, or touch screens, or Wi-Fi connections. - consumables - a 1kg spool of PLA costs around £12-13, and can print a LOT of 1/72 tanks. there aren't any other costs ( unless you need spares ). A reasonably up to date computer & internet connection to download the free software & free models ( about 95% of my prints are from free models ) is all you need. You can design your own stuff, but that's a different rabbit hole!
Dave

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
. . . You can design your own stuff, but that's a different rabbit hole!
Dave

Yep, that might be a problem for me too, like you I'm more practical rather than academic

Miko (three dimentional)

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Good job David! When I first got to grips with this technology there were no ready-made printers available to buy. Just very expensive industrial machines and a few nerds who built the things themselves. When the first FDM printers from China were available as a “semi-kit” a few years later, I absolutely had to have one too. I can't even remember what the printer was called, but it was expensive and kept me busy for many days until it even worked. Plus, there was no dimensionally stable filament to buy back then! The thickness often varied greatly within a roll. Man, that was bullshit! Cura 1 was already available as software.
In the end the poor printer had to work for me until all the guides were worn out. And I did exactly the same thing as you, printed military vehicles in 1/72.
At the moment I still have an Ender 3S1 - it just doesn't work without FDM. But to be honest, it isn't in use very often, or when in use, for some household spare parts or toys for the children.
For myself, I mainly use my Mars 3 Pro resin printer. I'm actually quite happy with that.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Good job David! When I first got to grips with this technology there were no ready-made printers available to buy. Just very expensive industrial machines and a few nerds who built the things themselves. When the first FDM printers from China were available as a “semi-kit” a few years later, I absolutely had to have one too. I can't even remember what the printer was called, but it was expensive and kept me busy for many days until it even worked. Plus, there was no dimensionally stable filament to buy back then! The thickness often varied greatly within a roll. Man, that was bullshit! Cura 1 was already available as software.
In the end the poor printer had to work for me until all the guides were worn out. And I did exactly the same thing as you, printed military vehicles in 1/72.
At the moment I still have an Ender 3S1 - it just doesn't work without FDM. But to be honest, it isn't in use very often, or when in use, for some household spare parts or toys for the children.
For myself, I mainly use my Mars 3 Pro resin printer. I'm actually quite happy with that.
My Anet A6 was a complete kit - if you're not mechanically inclined, it would appeared horrifying!
I spent the last 15 years of my life as a design engineer, using 3D CAD, so the computer side never bothered me. I live in a mid-floor flat, so the smell & post production process of Resin printing is sadly not an option. I have printed 1/35 tanks, but the excessive print times have taken me back to 1/72. I try to print the more unusual AFVs, ones which there aren't any easily available injection models
Dave

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Go Dave!!!
If anyone asks about the colour, tell them it is to save the planet....