A Newbie go at a Zvezda 1/72 SU-33

Beanie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Firstly I do apologise as I got carried away when building this and I totally forgot to take any pictures.

I really Like these Zvezda kits, I have two more after this one ready to go.
IMG_5122.jpg
I built most of the body up and I've already painted it with the Ammo paint purchased from Scale Model Shop and I must say It's nicer to spray than vallejo IMHO.
This was my first time airbrushing a camo pattern and I honestly don't think it went too badly.
I tried two different ways of masking it up, White Tack initially and then Tamiya Bendy tape with masking tape. See if you can see the two different methods on the airframe.
I will definitely only use one of these methods next time.

IMG_5121.jpg

More to follow

Andy (Beanie)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks good andrew , for a first time airbrushing a camo pattern you didnt pick an easy one !:smiling5: Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build , cheers tony ( btw , yes these new zvezda kits are superb , ive got the su30 in the stash and it looks a beautiful kit )

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent work Andrew. Camo looks fantastic for a first attempt, and in fact, for any attempt :thumb2:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice Andrew. First time with the AB, well it looks like you've tamed that beast ! I'm now looking forward to seeing what else you con do with this build.

Beanie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry it's been a while but i'm currently putting a new kitchen in and it's taken up all my time.

That and the current situation overseas made me wonder if posting about russian aircraft was a good idea.

Progress has been slow and I have definitely made some mistakes (See picture)
Improvements I can make:
1: Manage things to build first and what needs painting before gluing.
2: Hand painting really could use some extra practise.
3: Just general planning of the build process so I don't skip steps without realising until after the fact.

Here's where it stands at the moment I still have the canopy and decals to put on but I do like how it looks (as long as you don't look too hard) :smiling5:IMG_5143.JPG
IMG_5142.jpg

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Top work Andy on a 1/72 aircraft, nothing wrong with that paint job.
When I’m ready to start a new build I read and reread the instructions and make notes where I need to, such as bits I won’t put on until late on to avoid repainting. I also cross reference any extras I’ve bought so they go into the build at the right place. Then I always tick off pieces I’ve attached and highlight those that need to be fitted later, for me usually clear parts. The others will have their own ways but I find this helps

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice and looks to be a tricky camo to attempt, so well done on a great masking job Andrew.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s looking rather fine Andrew. Decals on aircraft can be rather daunting, but they do bring them to life. As to varnish, I personally prefer satin on aircraft because it brings out the lines of the airframe better.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andrew,
that's a good looking model! - I have to admit that I don't add all the stencil data on my models, there's a size limit that I will apply, but smaller......forget it! Lovely masking!
Satin, or Matt? I'd go for a 50/50 mix - give it a trial on a guinea pig model first, to see how it looks...........
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Who'd of thunk that decals would be so emotionally draining. I'm done in after all that. 100ish roughly
Often a problem with modern aircraft kits: the multitude of stencils, warning lines and what have you that will need to be applied. If you want Russian but light on the markings, build a kit of a Russian tank from ca. 1940 instead :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Often a problem with modern aircraft kits: the multitude of stencils, warning lines and what have you that will need to be applied. If you want Russian but light on the markings, build a kit of a Russian tank from ca. 1940 instead :smiling3:
My 1941 KV-7 has none whatsoever Jakko…..looks a bit dull without them to be honest.