A simple way to add shadow and weathering

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've been asked by quite a few people on this site and others how I get a weathering and shadow effect on my builds so I thought I would a little how to to show how it's done

First up is to put a small amount on the tip of a thin brush and wipe off the excess View attachment 113980

View attachment 113981

Then to the edge on a model I've done a bit thick on here as I want a deeper line , if you want a thinner more shadow effect you just wipe more of the brush and use the tip View attachment 113982

then using a strong flat clean brush you push the paint into the crease View attachment 113983

and this is the result View attachment 113984

so there you are a simple way to use oils to give a shadow or weathering effect:smiling3:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

L

Laurie

How did you get the final result Alan. Did you swish some thinners to smooth out the paint ?

Looks really effective.

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
No laurie, how I explain it is how it's done , no need for thinners , it does wreck brushes so it's best to use old or very cheep ones but it does add a little something to the model I think :smiling3:

Thanks for your comment:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
The process is pretty much the same but I'll put some pics up of going around some detail:smiling3:

L

Laurie

\ said:
The process is pretty much the same but I'll put some pics up of going around some detail:smiling3:
Thanks Alan appreciated. Been venturing into airbrushing effects but there have been times when an airbrush is just not suitable.

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I couldn't comment on any airbrush affects due to me having no knowledge of the skill , I only stuck to brush painting when I joined the club I'm in , the armour modellers have been at it for a long time and before AB came out so they stayed with it

I've done a little piece on some raised detail

As I want to create a more dirty looking vehicle I've gone for a shadow you use the same process but with far less on the brush,

This is how I want it to lookView attachment 113986

and this just the shadow View attachment 113987

image.jpg

image.jpg

L

Laurie

Yes that is a nice effect Alan. Thanks for the additional pictures. Just been to W H Smith they have a sale and bought a selection of Windsor and Newton. £3:50 a tube and 3 for two.

So now to experiment. :eek:

Laurie

D

Deleted member 3568

Great little tutorial Alan I may try that in the very near future

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Very nice technique!:cool:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Yes that is a nice effect Alan. Thanks for the additional pictures. Just been to W H Smith they have a sale and bought a selection of Windsor and Newton. £3:50 a tube and 3 for two.
So now to experiment. :eek:

Laurie
That's a good deal , I have to do a supply run on Saturday and I usually go to hobbycraft but I'll try wh smiths see what they've got thanks for the heads up :smiling3: