A sticky subject

F

Ferrets Bueller

What glue are you guys using, im currently using revel (the blue dropper bottle) But there must be a better glue out there and a better way of applicating it (syringe or brush) ie a more precise way? so what do you guys use?

Thanks paul

D

dubster72

Hi paul, I use Revell's liquid glue but instead of the brush they provide on the underside of the lid, I use a paintbrush-just cut off the one that's there and superglue a small brush that's cut down to the required size. Its much more precise. Patrick

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi paul, for what its worth heres my two penneth.I use revell contacta in the blue bottle with the needle nozzle for bonds that i can leave to set for a while,for instant stronger bonds ,good old cyano superglue(but watch your fingers!)put on with a cocktail stick, and as a thin liquid cement i use cellulose thinners.This can be bought from hardware shops or car spares shops ,and is a much cheaper alternative to liquid glues like tamiya extra thin cement.I use an acrylic bristle brush to paint it on the joint or hold the parts together and run it into the joint using capillary action. I dont know if you make planes but if you do ,formula 560 is what i use for sticking canopies on,its a pva type glue so dries clear and wont attack the clear plastic.you can get it at modelzone. hope this helps cheers tony (ps.dont forget when the contacta bottle is empty save the steel needle out of the end,very useful for scale machine guns/cannons etc. )

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Paul, I use Tamiya extra thin for most assembly. Method as Tony describes. If you get it right there is much less work to do on seams.

I only use CA (superglue) for fiddly little bits. A CA join is weak if any shearing force is applied. I apply with a neat home made tool. Take a largish sewing needle and clip off the top of the eye,leaving an open U shape. Perfect for applying little drops of glue!

Steve

N

noble

Hi Paul i use what i've always used which is the contacta glue with the application needle same as yak face but if you want excellent sticking power iam trying out something called plasweld it melds the seams together and dry's quickly it come with an applicator brush. My local hobby shop recomended it and i have to say iam impressed so far.

scott

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Noble, Plasweld works in a similar way to the extra thin cement,capillating into the seems and "melting" the plastic. As I said above if you get it right it will really almost make seam filling a thing of the past. Not scraping or sanding though!!!!

Steve

N

noble

As long as there are plastic kits there will always be the scraping and sanding.

scott