AA models 1/48 Chengdu J-7 E

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Lovely work so far Tony, coming together nicely.

Si:smiling3:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I'll have that with noodles.................... ;)

Looking good, love the attention to detail! :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more done today , the scoops are all on including a further 2 under the tail . The fin under the tail is on too and also the AOA vane housing on the side of the nose. Ive fixed the canopy , this just needing a smear of Vallejo acrylic putty round the edges of the front part then its ready for primer. The scheme I'm doing it in is white all over , this being a tricky one as its always difficult to get a realistic finish with such a scheme . Too clean and it looks toy like , too weathered and it looks really mucky , too heavy on the panel line wash and it looks like a technical drawing - its a bit like goldilocks and the three bears , its got to be just right! The thing I'm aiming for is a mix of all three ,so I reckon a grey primer base with black pre shading ,then mist on the white till it looks right. I probably wont bother with a panel line wash , even a pale one would probably look OTT , just highlighting the control surface hinge lines should be enough. cheers tony

View attachment 91158

View attachment 91159

View attachment 91160

View attachment 91161

DSCN0796 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0797 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0800 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0801 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Looking good Joe nice start, bit high-tec for me iff it ant in the box TUFF lol.John
It's Tony's build John :cool:

Reckon you have the colour sorted Tony. Agree with the panel lines etc, even on BMF panel washes seem to emphasise the 'toy look' too much especially in smaller scales. A light grey wash might be the way to go if it needs it at all?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers joe and Paul , yes its certainly a bit obscure. Not strictly a cold war jet though Paul , it only entered service around 1990 and its still in service with the chinese navy air force (PLANAF) today , so more 'bamboo curtain' than cold war! thanks for looking in , more progress today hopefully , cheers tony
My mistake Tony. Im not really that familiar with Chinese jets but the look of this aircraft certainly belongs to another era (although I'm sure the Chinese have made improvements on the Classic Mig design). The details you're adding are definitely giving this model a lift and are turning this into a very'busy' build.

White schemes can be tricky and you're right to keep the weathering and panel lining minimal.

Looking forward to this. If it's anything like your last build it will be very, very cool.

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
My mistake Tony. Im not really that familiar with Chinese jets but the look of this aircraft certainly belongs to another era (although I'm sure the Chinese have made improvements on the Classic Mig design). The details you're adding are definitely giving this model a lift and are turning this into a very'busy' build.White schemes can be tricky and you're right to keep the weathering and panel lining minimal.

Looking forward to this. If it's anything like your last build it will be very, very cool.

Paul
No need to apologise Paul , it certainly is based on an iconic cold war jet the MiG 21 F-13 , but the tangled story of how the chinese came to this aircraft starting with the original MiG 21 F-13 licence produced as the F-7 is fascinating. The original F-7 was just a straight copy , the F-7 I made improvements to hydraulic systems and quality , further improvements were made for the F-7 II mainly to avionics and the canopy and ejector seat. The F-7 III was a different thing altogether being a copy of the MiG 21 MF ,with different nose,fuselage etc but this wasnt very successful . The next development saw the F-7 E with new wing and engine , then the F-7G improved the canopy again .It all spans about 30 + years and shows that an old design can still be effective today. cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You have to give the Chinese their due credit, they have proven that they can reverse engineer and redevelop existing airframes into more capable machines. They only stopped building the J-7 in 2013 I just read! 30 years sounds like a long time, but when you think of the first 4th generation US fighters, the F-15 and F-16 in particular have been around since the 1970s. Amazing really.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Latest progress- Ive used Model air White for the top coat , misted on with 2 or 3 coats , the pre shading just showing through . Its just drying now , is it just me or does anyone else find model air takes a few days to dry properly ? When I did the paint on my Mig 15 uti that was the same but I just put that down to it being a metallic , but this is the same.Anyways its getting left for a few days so I cracked on with the undercarriage. The main U/C legs werent very detailed so i had to add some brake lines from fuse wire and the prominent scissor type attachment for the bottom section of the gear doors. The nose wheel leg has had lines added too but with black coloured beading wire .The pics in the reference book show the effect I'm after. Cheers tony

View attachment 91741

View attachment 91742

View attachment 91743

View attachment 91744

View attachment 91745

View attachment 91746

View attachment 91747

View attachment 91748

View attachment 91749

View attachment 91750

View attachment 91751

DSCN0812 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0813 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0814 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0817 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0818 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0819 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0820 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0821 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0822 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0823 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0824 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

D

dubster72

Blimey Tony, you must have good eyes

for all that detailed work! And steady hands!

T

Tone M

As me nan would say... Chuffin 'ell!

Awesome detail man, epic build so far tbh :D :D

Z

Ziper_it

Great job Tony, lot of details added.

Painting looks perfect, not easy with white.

Francesco

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Undercarriage is now on and painted /weathered , just the retraction struts and main gear doors to add next. Ive also been adding some lumps and bumps to the top of the fin. The ECM bumps are totally missing so i used some poundland nail art gems as they were about the right shape and size, they just need painting now. The same gems have also been used to add the wingtip position lights and then painted clear red and green. As you might be able to see Ive got the decals on (surprisingly well behaved too !) and given the airframe a subtle panel line wash - this is a tricky area with an overall white scheme as its very easy to make these too prominent ,then it looks like a technical drawing. I used a grey wash for the panel lines and a darker one for the control surfaces ,eventually I got something I was happy with. Next jobs - making some ejection triangle decals (the kit ones were way too big) ,those retraction struts and doors and adding the drop tanks ,missiles and some other fragile bits , heres a few pics , cheers tony

View attachment 93526

View attachment 93527

View attachment 93528

View attachment 93529

DSCN0854 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0855 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0856 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0857 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

D

Deleted member 3568

Great work and knowledge I know nothing about planes and if you'd built it straight outvof the box I would have still said great work so you've done amazing work so far.