Academy 1/48 F-14A

Swagman 070

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Since Tamiya brought out their new tooled versions of the F-14 everyone has raved about them. So for my first build back I thought I would give an older kit a go and see what the difference is when I come to build the Tamiya kit in the future.
I have always loved this aircraft and posted a build on here quite a few years ago now of a Revell 1/72 scale F-14.
Hope you all enjoy.
SteveAcademy F14.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Swagman 070

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Have Started the build and the kit looks nice and clean. Ejection seats built painted and given a dry brushing. The Cockpit tub and pilot and navigator consoles have been painted. Cockpit tub hasn't got a lot of details to it but what is there is beyond my brush painting skills. So have ordered some photo etch to go in there. Consoles are highly detailed but again I would only make a pigs ear in trying to paint all the bezel's so Photo etch it is. Hoping it will be here by Saturday so will update when complete.
IMG_0185.JPGIMG_0187.JPGIMG_0188.JPGIMG_0189.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steve could you post full size pics please
chrisb

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Cool!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steve ive built the same kit in 1/48 scale with working nav lights an landin lights an it the pukein dogs sqr isnt it ?
chrisb

Swagman 070

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
HI Steve ive built the same kit in 1/48 scale with working nav lights an landin lights an it the pukein dogs sqr isnt it ?
chrisb
That's way out of my league lighting a model. Bet it looks great!

Swagman 070

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi I need some advice. Has anyone ever used Airwaves photo etch kits?
As I said in my last update I ordered some Photo etch for the cockpit and couldn't find an exact match for the Academy Kit so bought a set for the Hasegawa kit and a set for the Italeri kit. The set for the Italeri kit is an Airwaves set.
When I have looked at the Airwaves set this seems to have a blue tint to it. Does anyone know is this some kind of film over the photo etch or is that how its produced and it doesn't feel if the details are raised so if I do have to paint it wont be able to dry brush the details.
Any advice please.
Steve

Swagman 070

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Build Update.
So the cockpit is now completed and considering I could not find any photo etch for the kit in the words of the late, great Bill McLaren with a bit of jiggery pokery I think it hasn't turned out to bad. I still need to weather it but and I need to get a better camera.
Steve IMG_0206.JPGIMG_0209.JPGIMG_0208.JPGIMG_0211.JPGIMG_0210.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm not much of a "jet" guy, but that office is looking mighty fine Steve.....keep it coming.

Swagman 070

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi all finally got round to finishing the build. Have to say problems right throughout the build. Fit problems, primer and paint not adhering then issues with the decals could not get the larger ones to set, no matter how much setting solution I used. They peeled off. Had to paint the tails in the end as no matter what I tried could not get the decals to set hence why no Pukin' Dogs insignia on them.
Then the SD card in my camera became corrupted and lost the majority of build pics. Anyway it finally complete. I'm not 100% happy with it but I'm glad to see the back of it .
IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0384.JPGIMG_0389.JPGIMG_0387.JPGIMG_0388.JPG
It was a bit of a slog in the end and came close to binning it on a few occasions. Onto the next build not sure what but i dont want to build another pig of a kit.
Hope you like
Steve

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steve ive built this tomcat in the pukin dogs sqr with nav lights an such an thankfully my pukin dogs decals went on the aircraft fine but yours looks a very nice build all the same well done
chrisb