Academy 1:48 F-86 Sabre [RAF]

Hello,

I've been working on this project for about two weeks now. I picked up an Academy Sabre about a year ago but have never really been a fan of the US bare metal schemes so never bothered to build it.

I stumbled across a picture of a RCAF Sabre online and it inspired me to have another look at the kit. I also bought a few additional bits to add to my build:

Quickboost replacement seat [huge improvement]

Eagle Strike RAF Sabres decal set

Below are some photos of my progress, the kit has gone together pretty well with no real problems [yet!]. I finished the IP using Airscale decals to jazz it up a bit and have scratchbuilt some 'bits' to go in the gap behind the pilots seat to busy it up and hide the nothingness that you get in the kit [and also the large groove] - nothing accurate, just better than nothing!

Painting has started tonight.

View attachment 90748

View attachment 90749

View attachment 90750

View attachment 90751

View attachment 90752

View attachment 90753

View attachment 90754

Thanks for looking

Matt

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice start Matt.

Si:smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great start Matt , the seat resin is a real improvement over the rather poor kit effort , nice work on the IP too , cheers tony

B

Bunkerbarge

You learn something new every day. I never knew the RAF ever flew Sabres. Lovely cockpit and a very realistic instrument panel.

Thanks for the comments! I've made use of the excellent Airscale decals on the IP - they make the world of a difference.

Sorry for the poor pics, but here's where I'm up to. All colours have been sprayed freehand with Tamiya Acrylics with a coat of Klear to seal things. There's a few bits to touch up on the underside along with painting the nose area black and the tip of the tail before I can start decalling.

View attachment 90859

View attachment 90860

View attachment 90861

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Here's the model now I've applied the markings and applied an initial panel line wash. First time using Eagle Strike decals and although they're printed beautifully, I had a right battle to get them to settle into the recessed detail. After a lot of decal softener, some slicing with a knife and some general huffing and puffing I've managed a passable result although there are several areas I'm not totally satisfied with.

I've left off the majority of the stencils, to be honest applying them would have been overkill in my eyes.

View attachment 91752

View attachment 91753

17.jpg

19.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Now that is looking very nice! Know what you mean about all the tiny stencils.

T

T. van Vuuren

Love it! the pannel shading and weathering look perfect, well done.

Theuns