Academy 1/72 Curtiss P-40E Warhawk

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Inspired by Tony's excellent Australian P-40E Kittyhawk, I dug the same kit out intending to build No.49, an early P-40E Warhawk of the 11th FS, 343rd FG, 11th AF, USAAF based in the Aleutian Islands from 1942. Reference photos show these did not have aerial masts, and uniquely (presumable because of the harsh environment), the machine guns were recessed into the wing leading edges, often covered with fabric as you would see on a British fighter.

Tony advised to keep the cockpit simple, so I took his good advice and added only white dry brushing to the instrument panel, some various colour to the switches and knobs, and Tamiya tape strips for the belts. I also cut the wing gun barrels off and drilled them out. It builds very quickly, here we are, ready for paint already.

IMG_0211.jpeg

IMG_0209.jpeg

IMG_0212.jpeg

IMG_0225.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent work joe , it goes together like a dream doesnt it ? Is the version you're doing the one with the big yellow tigers head ?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Excellent work joe , it goes together like a dream doesnt it ? Is the version you're doing the one with the big yellow tigers head ?
It's great fun Tony, just as you said it was. I was leaning towards 'Texas Longhorn' but Academy only provided decals for one side of the nose art so I chose the Aleutian Tiger scheme. Probably more colourful on the shelf anyway.

P-40_Warhawks_11th_FS_343rd_FG_11th_AF_Aleutian_Tigers_1942_96_-_49.jpeg
P-40_Warhawks_11th_FS_343rd_FG_11th_AF_Aleutian_Tigers_1942_nose_art.jpeg

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Joe nice start one of my Favorites. I have this kit so I’ll be following along to see its Demons if any.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Joe nice start one of my Favorites. I have this kit so I’ll be following along to see its Demons if any.
Pretty much builds itself Lee, just a smudge or two of putty at the wing to fuselage joins. Excellent value and relaxing to build.

Used white and yellow over the black to create some variation in the olive drab. I painted the white stripes, the one thing I do know is that Academy decals, when not produced by Cartograph, are variable in their quality. Also the fuselage stripe leans forward (see the photo in previous post) and not aft as the instructions box art and decals would have you do.
IMG_0240.jpeg
IMG_0248.jpeg

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Pthe fuselage stripe leans forward (see the photo in previous post) and not aft as the instructions box art and decals would have you do.
Joe, it looks to me that one leans forward, one backward in that photo.
Model's looking great!
Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great progress joe , the O/D looks excellent . I found the decals to be pretty trouble free on mine , the only criticism i could say is that they were a little thick . Didnt bother me but I know some people really get snotty about this , personally id rather have a thicker decal that can cope with a bit of rough handling and wont curl up on itself or tear / disintegrate . The downside of this is that if youve got a large decal covering a curved surface ( as in the Aleutian tigers head ) then youve got to give it some with the decal solvent to get it to conform . I‘m sure you’ll crack it , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great progress joe , the O/D looks excellent . I found the decals to be pretty trouble free on mine , the only criticism i could say is that they were a little thick . Didnt bother me but I know some people really get snotty about this , personally id rather have a thicker decal that can cope with a bit of rough handling and wont curl up on itself or tear / disintegrate . The downside of this is that if youve got a large decal covering a curved surface ( as in the Aleutian tigers head ) then youve got to give it some with the decal solvent to get it to conform . I‘m sure you’ll crack it , cheers tony

Cheers Tony. The decals were fine, although as expected the large tiger heads were a real pain. I drowned them in Humbrol Decalfix, cut them, and touched them up with paint. I don't think Academy,y's decals are overly thick, as they sit nicely onto a glossed surface and sink into recesses as well as any cartograph decal. The only criticism of the decals is a lack of fine detail on the stencils, but for the money the kit is superb.
IMG_0264.jpeg

Anyway, my P-40 got away on me and I completed it and I didn't take any further progress photos. Just the usual steps, nothing unique or amazing to add. The completed model is in the finished aeroplane section here: https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/academy-1-72-p-40e-warhawk.38398/

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic build joe , lovely paint job and love the perfectly done chipping round the cockpit .The tigers head looks very nice , gives the olive drab a real lift , top work , cheers tony