Academy JU87

T

T. van Vuuren

You talk about the anti cavorting chain, it reminds me now of the time I was a loadmaster in the SAAF.When flying the C-130's or 160's with the doors or ramp open the loadies had to wear the aptly named " monkey chains" inorder not to fall all the way out.

I have joined the fuse halvs, put on the tail and wing and now it is the laborius task (sorry for the spelling ,English is not my first language) of sanding the jointlines ect.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Does anyone know what the idea was behind the round clear lens cover just behind the gunner ontop of the fuselarge?and what would the collour underneath this be?

I need to start painting tomorrow.

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cripes, from memory it was an observation port of some sort but I can't remember what was behind it. I did it in RLM 02 as I guessed most interior surfaces were primed in that way.

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Steve, please then ignore my posting on the other JU87 thread :smiling:

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I can't realy see well from the old pix, but wat was the "cover ablilty" of the white laquer?Allmost like a white wash?

Dit it hihe the green collour well? or was there still a hint of the grnne shining through?

I am having difficulty getting the white to look just right on my model :sad:

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Theuns the white finish was an aviation paint intended for a semi-permanent, but removable finish. In all the photographs I have seen it covers the camouflage colours beneath very well. It did however seem to wear quickly. I don't have instructions for its removal but instructions for the removal of a similar night camouflage paint state "the total coat must be removed with rubber scrapers...... no work may be done with metal or sharp instruments." Also, helpfully, "work in the direction of the wind if possible to prevent dirt settling on the operator". There is also a suggestion of using petrol on stubborn or oily areas.

I don't think it would have been an easy or popular job to remove these finishes!

I'd say apply a complete covering coat to low traffic areas and show wear/ weathering on high traffic areas,leading edges etc. Remember that the mechanics stood on the spats covering the wheels to access engine panels. That would definitely wear the paint!

Since I am unaware of any directive regarding application of the scheme to units in the field you've got "carte blanche" (literally) to do what you think looks good.

Cheers

Steve

Posting about this paints durability has got me delving! To give an idea of how permanent it was Fw190s of JG 74 removed only selective areas of the white in the spring of 1944 to reveal some of the underlying colours. I presume there must still have been some snow on the ground in March. The white must have been on their aircraft for at least four months by then.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

T. van Vuuren

Cool Steve.

I will make the white a little more "solid" as it now is very transparent.Good advice on the wheel spat ,I was tought NEVER stand on a wheelspat.

I also see in one of your pix of the JU 87 that the top cowl is very dirty, would the crew climb on this maybe to get covers or cammo nets ovet the nose?

Mine will then represent the early spring cammo with bloches of green exposed;)

I had a hell of a hard time to get the front canopy to look right in the open postion, but it will have to do.

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Like this?

I've got a couple somewhere of the guys standing on the spats as well. I've never scanned them so who knows where they are! If I see them I'll post them.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's a bloke standing on the wheel

Look at the size of the cannon ammunition

That's gonna hurt!

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

That was one of the things I was wondering about, how many rounds could be loaded into the gun?

Tha rate of fire on that gun was also probarbly not so fast anyway, so the pilot had time to aim each shot.Recoil must have been something!

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What you see is what you get! Six rounds each. You wouldn't want to waste them. Modern A 10 pilots don't know how lucky they are. I looked up some stats on the 37mm cannon. Projectile weighed 405 grams. Muzzle velocity 1170 m/s. According to contemporary tests penetration was 130mm steel at 100m.

Also found a piccy of armourers harmonising the BK37s on a Stuka. I reckon it was pretty loud!

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

T. van Vuuren

it seems that the stukas had to be rather close to the T34's to be able to knock them out.As you say not like an A 10 that can do so from 2500m with its gun.

Amazing pic!

T

D

dubster72

Ouch! Some Ivan's gonna have a headache from one of those babies!

T

T. van Vuuren

Well, I tried my winter collours and failed horribly!:lame:

The weathering effect I was after looks like ...wel I don't know.

I put dark grey exhaust stains on and tried to simulate the brown mud that comes with spring in the balkins, but allas!

The fuselarge ring decal is also lifting, but some clearcoat will sort it out.

The front canopy was also a real pain to fit in the open position.

Maybe after I put on the matt clearcoat it will look less "plasticy".A well, we learn every day.

Theuns

ps. sorry for poor quality pix

View attachment 20487

View attachment 20488

JU 87 004.jpg

JU 87 006.jpg

T

T. van Vuuren

Ok, so here it is after a little "touching up"

I aplied some oil streaks on the controll surfaces at the hindges, some pencil in the pannellines to bring them out a little and a matt clearcoat.

The effect is not realy what I was looking for, but so we learn hey?

The next project will be either the 1/48 ICM Spit with groundcrew /diorama or 1/48 Italeri T-6 Harvard in daglo orange SAAF diorama, stay tuned.

Theuns

View attachment 20576

View attachment 20577

JU 87 008.jpg

JU 87 009.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
turned out fine in the end ,theuns well done, cant wait to see the dayglo harvard , cheers tony

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Tony

The dagolw is a rather tricky thing to do as they looked nice for a couple of months but in the African sun it turnes yellow on the top.

So ,I will have to weather it or simulate a freshly painted T-6 Spammy.

But yes the Daglow is damn nice when done correctly.

T

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
hey I just got the 'Kannon vogel' version from academy and while looking for info, found this thread. Nice model Theuns and interesting piccies steve. I'm looking forward to doing it, I'm gonna try to post some pictures of in the under construction section.

tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Mossiepilot...watch out for the decals in that kit. Great to put together but pants decals