accessories to make a street scene , help please

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I have corner section of broken building but I cant find any kits to represent a path and road so I think ill have to make one.

the scale is 1/35 set in france 1942 but im unsure of the size of bricks to use for the cobbled road and cant find anything that I could use for the path an gutter blocks

if anyone knows of anything to help with id be very greatful

ps thanks to Spanner70 for the idea :smiling3:

C

CDW

I don't like Advertising my own work on others threads but, if you take a look at my coutances diorama you'll see what I'm getting at here.....

Cobbles were made from mung beans set into polyfiller.

The slabs are made from thick card or balsa (or both :smiling3: )

The gravel is bird grit sorted to size.

Then just painted and weathered to suit with some chopped dill for grass strewn around.

Last edited:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I don't like Advertising my own work on others threads but, if you take a look at my coutances diorama you'll see what I'm getting at here.....Cobbles were made from mung beans set into polyfiller.

The slabs are made from thick card or balsa (or both :smiling3: )

The gravel is bird grit sorted to size.

Then just painted and weathered to suit with some chopped dill for grass strewn around.
thanks for the info CDW im not doing something as elaborate as yours which is fantastic by the way but you've given me some ideas on how to go about it

thanks very much

C

CDW

Thats the idea ... look at loads of dios and then choose the best bits to put into your own.

Ron (spanner) did a frenchy type dio, you should look at that as well for ideas of the area and era.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
One of the 2 men you need to be speaking to has already arrived alan (colin CDW) , the other obviously is our old mucker Ron (spanner570). What these 2 dio kings dont know about making stuff like this is nobodies business , plus its likely going to cost you precisely nothing!!! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Alan, I hope the following will be of some use....

Like Colin, I don't like posting pickies of my stuff on other thread, ,but if you go to my threads and go to pg.3....5th thread, I do a pavement and kerbstones on my 'Ernst' diorama....It also shows how I scratch built a wrecked building which might also give you some pointers and ideas when doing your model.

Also, take a look on Google Images for ideas, it's invaluable for researching projects.....

I used a lump of polystyrene from a toaster packaging for the base and road - the beads on the surface of the stuff make great cobbles.

For the raised pavement I again used polystyrene (4mm) This time from a pizza base, then with my modelling knife I just scribed the pavement and kerb joints, stuck it down to the base and painted the thing...job done.

It's a bit embarrassing this, I seem to be just plugging my stuff, but pictures are far better than trying to type a how to!!!!lol.

I'm sure other diorama-isters will be along to post how they do stuff. You'll be amazed how many different techniques there are to achieve the same result!

If we can all be of any more help, just post and don't think...."I can't ask another question"... just fire away......

Please post pictures as you go along.

Ron

P

phalinmegob

I use a piece of plastic card about 2mm thick and just scribe the kerbs stones and flags into it then just rough it up with a knife and sandpaper. The 2mm thickness gives you a little height for your kerbs. For cobbles I have a reusable silicone mould which I bought from a company called j works and I use plaster of Paris. Great investment, take a look at one of my miniart dips to get the idea. Everyone wil have there own way of doing it but this works well for me