Acrylic over spray on canopy

T

tecdes

Idiot that I am, at times, I forgot to mask inside a couple of canopy pieces before spraying the masked frame on the outside.

So now I have overspray a slightly speckled inside the canopy.

Advice as to the best method of making me happy again ?

Very annoying as I spent lots of time on the frame masking & which is crisp & clean & my best result to date

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The quick and easy way is to rub it off with a wooden tooth pick. If you cut the end of it to a chisel like shape you should be smiling again in no time.

Ian M

T

tecdes

Ian if I smile that will make my wife's day.

No modelling to day. Just off to film my Nephew's wedding. I offered a freebie. Tut ! And his father is a millionaire. Tut again! Where did I go wrong ?

Thanks.

Laurie

C

CDW

I'm with Ian on this ....a toothpicks perfect ...easily shaped and soft enough not to damage the clear plastic in any way.

It's how i actually do cockpits, no masking needed, just paint acrylic as close as you can and then rub of excess, when dry, with a toothpick ... works a treat.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Is the overspray on the inside? I'd wipe it off with a cotton bud moistened in meths followed by a wipe with a cotton bud moistened with Klear(or similar) to restore a glass like shine.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Ian if I smile that will make my wife's day.No modelling to day. Just off to film my Nephew's wedding. I offered a freebie. Tut ! And his father is a millionaire. Tut again! Where did I go wrong ?

Thanks.

Laurie
Have you forgotten to take your pills again!!! A freebie for a millionaire....? :laughing:

Ian M

T

tecdes

\ said:
Have you forgotten to take your pills again!!! A freebie for a millionaire....? :laughing:Ian M
Yes I am stupid Ian.

Plus youngest son 32 years old had to much to drink at wedding. Lost wife who was who knows were. Then lost sister in law. Found her wife had disappeared again. Then went home.

God what a day & I did it for free.

Thanks by the way to all who have contributed to help make this day bearable. A new dawn will make tomorrow I hope ! Back to sanity.

Laurie

C

CDW

\ said:
Wow Colin how do you get straight crisp lines ? Laurie
Sorry for not answering earlier Laurie.

If you apply the paint in a few light layers to build up the colour, after each has dried fully just scrape the excess off using the raised part of the canopy to rub up against and guide your toothpick in a straight line.

C

CDW

for the limited amount of times i make an aircraft, this is how i have to do the canopy as my masking ability is terrible, yet i can mask and stensil graphics (such as on a car/bike) with no problem.

I think i'm wired up wrong :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Colin the next time you do a winged thing, just think of the canopy as a car that needs a graphic done on it.... da daaaaaaaa!

Ian M

C

CDW

Hmmm .. problem is .... car big ... winged thing small .... eye's dodgy ... fingers using copious amounts of glucosamine .... i hate getting older :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

T

tecdes

Yes you are right Colin. Amazing how fingers seem to get in the way. Perhaps mine have just got fatter.

Now resort at time to wearing those magnifiers on the head plus looking through the large magnifier light thing at the same time.

Lovely having children but when they inform you "you are old dad". Gone is the you are getting old I am there.

Laurie

T

tecdes

\ said:
Is the overspray on the inside? I'd wipe it off with a cotton bud moistened in meths followed by a wipe with a cotton bud moistened with Klear(or similar) to restore a glass like shine.Cheers

Steve
Nice one Steve. The over spray was on the inside. Probably beyond scraping with a stick as there was a lot & also very fine. Used the meths & behold in 2 secs flat it had disappeared.

Did not have to use the Klear as the plastic was in pristine condition after the meths treatment.

Also got to face wicked facts Klear is against my religion & it is Sunday to-boot.

Thanks to you all great response & fast.

Laurie