Acrylic v Enamel- 'Born again ' Modeller

S

Sgt Apome

Hi,

Returning to modelling Sci/fi / horror models after a break of er.., 20 years!. Kids older, bit more time in the evening's, want to do something rather than sit in front of that damned TV!. Recently bought a Polar Lights Michael Myers kit- but I'm wondering whats best to use on it- acrylic or enamel?. I had a brief flirtation with acrylic when it was just starting to appear- but often found it too thin, didn't stick and was pricey. Enamel on the other hand gave a better coating and was (and still is it appears) a cheaper option. Can you mix both on one kit? or is it best to stick to one type?.

Thanks.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I personally use both. I tend to use enamels for small peices that it would be a waste even trying to get the airbrush on (like cockpit interiors) and use acrylics for bigger areas and is imho a better way of keeping surface detail. You also have the added H&S issue that acrylics are safer to use, although i still recommend a mask when spraying anything.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Another born again modeller,most of us are. I think Allyne has pretty much answered your question. You can mix different types of pant on a model. I think most people use various types and brands of paint,you will gather them as time goes by. I have always found enamels easier to brush paint and I use them mainly for this. There are modellers who brush acrylic paints and I'm sure someone will be along to advise which are best for this,it won't be Tamiya!

I like to spray with acrylics for the reasons given,they are safer and MUCH less smelly. In the end it is really down to your personal preference and which type work best for you.

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

As long as you have a decent primer coat then you shouldn't have bother getting either to stick.

I really like the Humbrol Enamel range, (but that's partly due to me being old school and it was either Humbrol or dulux when I were a lad and sptfires in Magnolia just didn't look the part) :smiling3:

I like the Tamiya acrylics in matte colours for spraying, for gloss you cannot beat enamels, messier clean up, smellier, and longer drying times though so it's down to choice and patience.

B

Bunkerbarge

You will soon get a feel for what type of paint to use for what situation but defenately don't restrict yourself to just one type. I regularly use both on one model to make the most of thier respectuive advantages.

S

Sgt Apome

Thanks for all your assistance-much appreciated.

Have made a few tentative steps with the kit- forgot how much time and effort goes into these things- but its very rewarding. The TV is sitting blank in the corner and that can't be a bad thing at all!!!. Had a look at the gallery of the guys who replied and they are stunning!- only hope mine turn out like that!

Ok back to it,....Now where the hell did I leave that 1/32 scale fingernail ???........,

B

Bunkerbarge

You might find this an interesting read:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/tutorials/2298-back-basics.html

S

Sgt Apome

Godsend- thanks for that- I've already started putting my wrongs to rights- there are plenty of them for sure. Its a great site- so many people happy to comment/pass on their ideas. As someone who's come back into the craft after a long break, and not particularly confident, its proved invaluable to build on skills. Its also very apparent the site is not secular- modellers from different genres; aircraft, tanks, ships, etc are happy to chip in providing support/advice and to appreciate models that maybe lie outside their particular interest.

I may not make it to the giddy heights of some of the stunning galleries on display here- but I get the feeling that its the participation and having a go that really matters to everyone.

Thanks again.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
but I get the feeling that its the participation and having a go that really matters to everyone.Thanks again.
Absolutely right,and of course having fun.

Cheers

Steve

M

msm2

Best Friendilest Forum on the Net. Oh fellow member from Staffs.

Tony..

F

Fenlander

Welcome to the forum Sgt. Most of it has been said above but for my three pence worth, I am 99% acrylics just using enamel really as a base coat for Alclad metallic (which are themselves Lacquer or cellulose based)