Adventures with a 3D printer

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It's really down to the user to get the best out of them.
By that i guess you mean the user trying to draw what they need. That would be my shortfall then lol. I could go to someone to do it i suppose. But i would also want copyright over the item(s).

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
By that i guess you mean the user trying to draw what they need. That would be my shortfall then lol. I could go to someone to do it i suppose. But i would also want copyright over the item(s).
Actually I meant that it is still possible to make a bad print no matter how good the data or the machine is. There are a lot of ways to c*ck it up!
In the end there's no point in buying a machine unless you have something, or more to the point, a lot of things to print. I have been using them for my own stuff at work for years and it's only now I feel the need to have one of my own (possibly because I no longer have daily access to one for free....;)). And I haven't printed anything between the first posts in March and this current one in September.
Also it has taken me years of practice at work to get anything like competent-probably because I am old. The youngsters were much quicker at picking it up. I still have the ambition to learn digital sculpting, but that demands quite a lot of application and undivided attention which I do not have at the moment, sadly.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I could go to someone to do it i suppose. But i would also want copyright over the item(s).
IANAL, but AFAIK, if someone makes something under your direction, you own the copyright to it. It’s not the person’s who is doing the actual work, but the person’s who instigates and directs it being made. Else, for example, companies could never own copyrights unless their workers assigned those rights to the company voluntarily. But because it’s the company that has people make the works, the copyright automatically belongs to the company. Exactly the same if you, as a private citizen, get someone else to make or design something artistic or technical for you — though in all cases, it would probably help to get the actual worker(s) to sign a contract that says they agree to you owning the copyright, just in case there is a dispute later on.

First Name
Noel
It is the 3D cad learning curve that takes time to master but opens so many possibilities I would guess.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
God I have enough trouble using my smart phone ! Remember those early mobiles, you had a massive battery pack which you carried over the shoulder. 3 D printing seems very much like this.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Neil, well done and good luck with the build. I was going to invest in the same model, but became put off with the CAD - bought the books, downloaded the reccomended program and then sat there - book in one hand, mouse in the other and a lot of hope, but to no avail. Even went onto You Tube to do the tutorials, but it would still not work for me.... I then spotted a 3D model of a subject and in the scale I wanted, but it was neither here nor there, once all the parts had been removed from the 'sprues' and the excess cut away I finished up with basically an item that had not been researched correctly, was not in scale and totally useless, and at £60 never again. Alright I have learned my lesson both in expense and in time, just one mans example of total failure with modern tech.
And like JR, I am now a recluse as far as modern tech goes, these all singing all dancing squint your eyes at the screen are not for me.
Mike.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Remember those early mobiles, you had a massive battery pack which you carried over the shoulder. 3 D printing seems very much like this.
Yes, we had a company 'mobile' where the actual receiver was about the size of a fattish briefcase, and the handset was identical to the GPO phones, attached by a curly cable. It only worked in a few places near major cities

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
God I have enough trouble using my smart phone ! Remember those early mobiles, you had a massive battery pack which you carried over the shoulder. 3 D printing seems very much like this.
Once forgot what was attached to the handset once and threw the handset across the cab.... totally forgot about the battery pack that went through the passenger window of the truck.... claimed it was yobs throwing stones, it was still hanging out the window when i pulled into the layby......

First Name
Noel
Looking at Michael's experience it wasn't the printer but whoever drew up the cad files that got it out of scale. It is one thing creating something in 3D cad that is artistic, but drawing up something accurately in scale is a different ball game altogether and needs a lot of drafting skill.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Noel, exactly, I think it was a rush job to corner the market, but that is life as they say. Still a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.