Advice on moving on...

A

AlasdairGF

So after getting back into modelling earlier this year, I've found it a great antidote to job stress as well as intrinsically massively rewarding in its own right - not to mention the fun I've had with The Boy, who helps out a tiny bit and is a great audience.

So the basic question is - where do I go from here?

I've completed four 1/72 single-seat fighters, all new tool Airfix kits. In build order, they were:

a. Supermarine Spitfire Mk IIB ("Starter" kit)

b. Messerschmitt Bf109E-3 ("Starter" kit)

c. Curtiss P-40B Warhawk ("Dogfight Doubles" gift set, with the Zero)

d. Mitsubishi Zero A6M2B-21 (Ditto)

View attachment 69584

They've definitely improved as I've gone along. The Spit is actually a bit of a mess and I lost/broke the radio mast and some other fiddly bits on the P-40 and the 109! The Zero is looking pretty good, quite a few of the things I've learned on this site and other places went into it. Not perfect though.

I feel I'd like to somehow move on, but... where to next?

Advice requested!

Was drooling over a 1/48 Eduard Spit IXc yesterday - or even one of their 1/32 109s... wow. Those seem like too big a jump for me right now! Is there an intermediate step I could take?

(Also - £40 for a single kit? SWMBO won't have it... she's firmly of the opinion that model planes cost about £7...!)

Fighters_Sept2013.jpg

T

tecdes

I started with 1/72 which was OK as they are quite a quick modelling job.

Then went to 1/48 & found that my first choice. Just finished a 1/32 & that was certainly not for me. Others are well into 1/32. So in the end it is a matter of trying all three of those types & see what gets you most.

On cost in my opinion there is no difference in the cost of model making in a 1/72 to 1/48. Why as you will be able to complete 2 may be 3 1/72 models,depending on the complexity, to 1/48. She in doors will not believe you Alasdair !!!!!!!!!

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If you are sticking with aircraft I would suggest going for something in 1/48. I say that as someone who builds mostly 1/32 large scale aircraft!

There is a lot of choice in 1/48, though the larger scale is "getting better all the time" as a famous beat combo once sung.

Not all larger scale kits are difficult or have hundreds of parts, which is a popular misconception. The "better ones" do of course have a lot more detail. I would say that whereas most 1/72 kits comprise one model, the aeroplane, both 1/48 and 1/32 tend to comprise three or four models. In a good kit these are the cockpit, the wheel wells, often the engine(s) and of course the airframe itself.

As Laurie says have a go and see what suits you. It is worth saying that many newer 1/32 kits are quite pricey, which is always a consideration for those of us who haven't won the lottery....yet. They will keep you occupied for a while! 1/48 tends to be a bit more reasonable, maybe because being the most popular scale the manufacturers can exploit an economy of scale, making larger production runs on the original investment.

Looking at your 1/72 models I don't think you'll have any difficulty applying your techniques to the larger scales:smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Nice builds you've done there :smiling3:

I was the same as you when I started out a couple of years ago and I've learnt that if you enjoy it build it ,

I'm with the rest and say try them all and see if you have a particular favourite , if you don't have a favourite and find it hard to chose then just buy what ever you like no mater what the scale like I do and remember have fun :smiling3:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Like you i mostly build 1/72 kits ( 1/35 if doing armour ) although I've built some 1/48, its a great scale to build with like Steve say's it as plenty of detail and not that pricey also you don't use that much more shelf space But like the rest have said give them a go and see what you like the best

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
1:48 is a good compromise between the scales for detail, well on most models anyway. But don't abandon 1:72 totally. If you ever fancy a 4 engine bomber, big jet etc, 1:72 is normally the way to go.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Absolutely as above. There's no law that says you have to build in one scale! Build what you like and enjoy building it, that's most important.

Cheers

Steve

A

AlasdairGF

Thanks for the responses - pretty reassuring actually. I'm leaning towards a 1/48 plane, and think perhaps I'll go with the traditional Spit! Perhaps a Vb or IX or something. Any particular suggestions?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I'd agree with all the above , have a play and see what you like alasdair. Its a logical next step to go for 1/48 next but you can also pick up the weekend editions of Eduards 1/32 bf 109 for around £20 so that could be another maybe. In 1/48 , the airfix Spitfire mk 22/24 is a superb kit that was actually re-boxed by eduard but obviously costs a bit less in the airfix box, or if you fancy something a bit different the ICM /Alanger/Ark 1/48 kits of WW2 Soviet Yaks and Migs can be found on e-bay for well under a tenner and build into very nice kits , above all just build what you like and enjoy it , whatever scale it ends up as !

Oh and steve - "There is a lot of choice in 1/48, though the larger scale is "getting better all the time" as a famous beat combo once sung." nice tip of the hat to the excellent Shed Seven ! come on the sheds!! tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi, Is it Alasdair, (?)

I build aircraft in 1/48 and will say that it's a good compromise. Big enough to handle small enough to not take up to much room.....ha ha.

If you are looking for a good 1/48 scale to try, have a go at one of the New Tool Airfix kits. Good value and build well. If you like Spitfires will find a couple to chose from.

Also there is a whole world of after market parts that you can delve into once you are more comfortable with things.

Depending on your interest, you will be able to find other things; trucks ,armour etc. in the same scale.

I have just made my first 1/32 scale aircraft, yes a Spit. As much as I enjoyed it, 1/32 scale will be a once in a while treat as I like my 1/48th's

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
nice tip of the hat to the excellent Shed Seven ! come on the sheds!! tony
Great band but you know full well that's not who I meant :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Another few 1/48s which I have built enjoyed & had few faults.

Revell Harrier Jet. Does not take up much room as it is in all respects a titch except for its punch of course. Very nice model & a good starter in 1/48.

Mosquito. Mine was the Revell but watching a build here I think the Tamiya is better. But Revell is cheaper. What ever a lovely aircraft to build.

Laurie

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Great band but you know full well that's not who I meant :smiling3: Cheers

Steve
Cant think of any other four member beat combos steve , youve got me there , maybe i just need a llittle 'Help' ? but then it has been a hard days night , cheers tony

M

mule4468

\ said:
Thanks for the responses - pretty reassuring actually. I'm leaning towards a 1/48 plane, and think perhaps I'll go with the traditional Spit! Perhaps a Vb or IX or something. Any particular suggestions?
Hi, nice models!

Regarding prices ...I have scottish blood so good at bargain spotting.

Recently "The Works" had a 1/32 BAe Red Arrows Hawk for £9.99, also I purchased (over a year ago .... still in the hangar) a 1/48 ICM High Altitude Spitfire.It's the Silver-grey one marked MkVII. It is quite detailed and have read some decent reviews. it seems very comparable to Tamiya's Spits and is (I think) one of the cheapest Spitfires out there. I got mine online from Plasticpastimes, I've included the link below, to have a gander.

http://www.plasticpastimes.co.uk/index.php?k=spitfire&c=37

Ian

A

AlasdairGF

Some nice tips - hadn't thought of The Works actually, there's one near me and will check it out, thanks Ian.

As it happens... The Boy came back home today with a surprise - a 1/72 Airfix Handley-Page Hampden... not what I'd been leaning towards at all, but of course fixed grins etc as bless him he was thinking of something we'd do together...!

Actually... It'll work out. The point of these early models is practice & experience, so it will be good for me to work with an older kit. This one, ScaleMates tells me, dates back to 1968 (three years prior to my own first tooling...!) so I'm guessing that it will bring its own challenges. It doesn't look bad, but it's a bit different, with loads of raised rivets (what on earth can you do if you have to sand them down, like I'm sure I will?), some flash, some serious pin marks etc. Anyway, started to have a look at it this evening, getting some first impressions and going over the Book of Words, etc. Onward & upward...

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Some nice tips - hadn't thought of The Works actually, there's one near me and will check it out, thanks Ian.As it happens... The Boy came back home today with a surprise - a 1/72 Airfix Handley-Page Hampden... not what I'd been leaning towards at all, but of course fixed grins etc as bless him he was thinking of something we'd do together...!

Actually... It'll work out. The point of these early models is practice & experience, so it will be good for me to work with an older kit. This one, ScaleMates tells me, dates back to 1968 (three years prior to my own first tooling...!) so I'm guessing that it will bring its own challenges. It doesn't look bad, but it's a bit different, with loads of raised rivets (what on earth can you do if you have to sand them down, like I'm sure I will?), some flash, some serious pin marks etc. Anyway, started to have a look at it this evening, getting some first impressions and going over the Book of Words, etc. Onward & upward...
If you want a chalenge want to move on to a bigger scale then try revells 1/48 B17 mephis belle , loads of flash, fusilarge don't fit but boy when you spend the time and effort on her she comes out a beauty.

:smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thought I had commented on this thread...must be getting old...:confused:

Good looking builds you have there, as for moving on, try anything, you never know.

Si:smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
If you want a chalenge want to move on to a bigger scale then try revells 1/48 B17 mephis belle , loads of flash, fusilarge don't fit but boy when you spend the time and effort on her she comes out a beauty. :smiling3:
Yep...the pin marks and flashing will keep you busy for a year or two lol. Does look superb when you get it right though.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Yep...the pin marks and flashing will keep you busy for a year or two lol. Does look superb when you get it right though.Si:smiling3:
Well I wouldn't say mine is right but it was only my 6/7th build but I like her and its one of my favourites :smiling3: she's not perfect but you can see some seem lines :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Well I wouldn't say mine is right but it was only my 6/7th build but I like her and its one of my favourites :smiling3: she's not perfect but you can see some seem lines :smiling3:
At least you attempted it Alan, I know a guy who bought and the fit was a pig and he just couldn't get his head around it, he was so frustrated he binned it.