Advice regarding a battle flag....

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi folks,

This Confederate 54mm officer figure kit (see photos) caught my attention online, so I bought it. However, just noticed the battle flag will need painting, I was kinda mistaken here and expected the kit to come with an actual miniature fabric flag!!
20221207_185605.jpg
20221207_185701.jpg
So would my question is would you paint the flag and if so, how? (Mask it up and cut away the cross etc? The flag has an undulating surface for realism which isn't flat, making painting harder still). Or would it be wiser to source an actual miniature scale flag (this would look much better in my opinion) if such a thing exists?

Kind regards,

Gavin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I might find a nice thick foil, (the foil from a wine bottle was great). Cut it to size, paint the flag then carefully arrange it so it ripples.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gavin,
I'd think you would be better oof with a decal, or at a pinch a printed fabric flag, but if you have to make your own.................
Good Luck!
Dave

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I might find a nice thick foil, (the foil from a wine bottle was great). Cut it to size, paint the flag then carefully arrange it so it ripples.
Thank you, will bear this in mind if I have to make my own. G

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Where do you live Gavin? I have a (~2x2") piece of lead foil from Historex which was intended for such purposes - if you're stumped then I'll post it to you gratis. PM me if you want it.
Steve

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Gavin,
I'd think you would be better oof with a decal, or at a pinch a printed fabric flag, but if you have to make your own.................
Good Luck!
Dave
Thanks for that Dave. I've basically got 3 options here:-

1. Use a decal that's the exact size.
2. Buy an actual miniature flag and make it fit somehow.
3. Make one from scratch from foil and paint it.

I think that painting the flag free hand will just be a disaster and out of the question because it hasn't even got the detail engraved on the moulding for the cross etc, so it just wouldn't look right.

Cheers. G

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
There are several manufacturers out there making printed 54mm (I assume he’s 54mm) replacement flags, but personally, I would try to paint the supplied flag freehand first……..it’s easier than you think and it will match the style of your painting on the rest of the figure.
There are a lot of tutorials out there, so have a good look around. Don’t overlook the warhammer stuff, there are some great painters working in that genre.
Look at references to get the colours right, as both the flag and the uniform on that box art look a bit insipid. if you can’t find any, let me know ;) I’ve got quite a few books on ACW uniforms and flags and will post something if you want.

As a start I personally would paint the background colour, then pencil in the cross using a sharp soft pencil. Use pencil because pencil lines won’t run when overpainted. If you make mistakes, just paint out the errant lines and have another go. would then paint it in the light outline colour, using the pencil lines as guidance. It is easier to paint thin lines by painting up to en edge, so then paint the blue inside that, cutting the light colour to size as you go. At all stages painting over mistakes can sharpen up the finish. Lastly pencil in the stars and paint them in when you are happy…..

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Where do you live Gavin? I have a (~2x2") piece of lead foil from Historex which was intended for such purposes - if you're stumped then I'll post it to you gratis. PM me if you want it.
Steve
Hi Steve,

I'm in Norfolk. Many thanks for the kind offer, I shall bear this in mind if I decide to make my own from foil.

Regards,

Gavin.

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
There are several manufacturers out there making printed 54mm (I assume he’s 54mm) replacement flags, but personally, I would try to paint the supplied flag freehand first……..it’s easier than you think and it will match the style of your painting on the rest of the figure.
There are a lot of tutorials out there, so have a good look around. Don’t overlook the warhammer stuff, there are some great painters working in that genre.
Look at references to get the colours right, as both the flag and the uniform on that box art look a bit insipid. if you can’t find any, let me know ;) I’ve got quite a few books on ACW uniforms and flags and will post something if you want.

As a start I personally would paint the background colour, then pencil in the cross using a sharp soft pencil. Use pencil because pencil lines won’t run when overpainted. If you make mistakes, just paint out the errant lines and have another go. would then paint it in the light outline colour, using the pencil lines as guidance. It is easier to paint thin lines by painting up to en edge, so then paint the blue inside that, cutting the light colour to size as you go. At all stages painting over mistakes can sharpen up the finish. Lastly pencil in the stars and paint them in when you are happy…..
Hi Tim,

Okay, it's possible to paint the flag part free hand. That's a fair test of skill but hey, that's what we want eh?! ☺ Thanks for the tips (painting the background colour then pencil in the cross etc), makes sense how you've described it.

For paint colours I will need to source the nearest Vallejo shade to the Confederate grey/light blue and the flag background (an orange/red shade?), everything else I should already have.

Thanks. G

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Don’t stress over it Gavin. It is basically a combination of brush control (which you already have), and planning. The worst than can happen is you have to strip it and start again…..it’s just pushing paint around with a brush.

Colours, I’ll check my sources and get back to you……probably tomorrow.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent work Gavin. Looks far better than any paper print would. Should have given me a nudge though….I completely forgot to look up colour references for you. Turns out you didn’t need them anyway. Those colours look spot on :thumb2:

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
That is really very good indeed. I'd be well satisfied with a result like that. Good for you!
Excellent piece of work Gavin. Not an easy thing to paint.

Bill
Thanks for the compliments both of you. I was actually looking for a real miniature fabric Confederate flag to go with the figure but couldn't find one anywhere so was forced to paint the resin flag in the kit (which is very flimsy and was attached to lots of sprues, was a challenge getting it prepped let alone painted!). Initially I was dubious about the challenge but as you know, you get going and things start to materialize easier than envisaged. The flag is rigid, fixed in an undulating shape which made painting very difficult! G