Aerial Photography

D

duncan

Adz, 50mm doesnt have the spread of the 35mm so you have to fly very much higher to get same area in shot. A pound and a half isnt much for a BIG glider. I`ve carried a full size video camera in it (90 powered for that though). I mean about twice the height. When you find FFFFFFiordes let me know the map reference.:noidea:

A

adzam

i wasnt` sure on the weight restraints there dunc, but seems like you have tried and tested different variations .

was this an occupational avenue or purely for personal interest ?

M

Malcolm Fisher

Years ago I ran an after school modelling club at the school where I used to teach.

One of my pupils decided to make a model for aerial photography as a design project during his sixth form year.

After much research he designed and built a model with a sort of cut out under the fuselage below the centre of gravity. The camera used was a Kodak disc - the only thing which seemed to be available at the time which was reasonably compact, cheap (expendable?) and had automatic "wind on".

Shutter operation was via a normal servo with a single arm set up to operate from the retract (fifth) channel which was operated by a two position switch on the Tx - switch was moved briefly from one position to the other then quickly back thus the arm depressed the shutter.

The model, similar in design to a Tyro Major, was flown first without the camera to prove its flyability and then again with the camera in situ.

Power was an OS 40 - initial flight with a 10 x 4 prop. This proved to be unable to get enough speed to carry the extra weight of the camera so it was swapped for a 10 x 6 and this did the necessary.

We got some pretty good pictures of some of the school and playing fields and later of the field I used with the club I belonged to at the time. One of these showed a couple of members flying a c/l model.

I'll try to find them and let you have a look - prepare to be bored.

Malcolm