Air brush problem

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ok when cleaning my Iwata revolution cr air brush i dropped it into the sink and bent the nozzle ( needle not in ) so i bought a new one from John ( great service by the way ).5mm and now when i use it hardly any paint comes out. Any ideas ? Its been cleaned before the new nozzle whent in and after. When i say hardly any paint you have to hold the brush very close to the model for the paint to go on

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've been trying to think of an answer to this and I can't, I take it you have no air leaks and your pressure is around 15psi

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Ok when cleaning my Iwata revolution cr air brush i dropped it into the sink and bent the nozzle ( needle not in ) so i bought a new one from John ( great service by the way ).5mm and now when i use it hardly any paint comes out. Any ideas ? Its been cleaned before the new nozzle whent in and after. When i say hardly any paint you have to hold the brush very close to the model for the paint to go on
I don't know the answer to this question but I know a man who does. The Iwata customer support service is excellent. They have a technical expert who can provide help via email (they are based in West coast America) or you could look up their tutorials on Youtube.

When I get a moment I'll see if I can find his email address in my email vault.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
One obvious thing i would check is, is the nozzle actually a 0.5mm nozzle? Has this one not been packaged up correctly or made correctly?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
I don't know the answer to this question but I know a man who does. The Iwata customer support service is excellent. They have a technical expert who can provide help via email (they are based in West coast America) or you could look up their tutorials on Youtube. When I get a moment I'll see if I can find his email address in my email vault.
My problem was similar to yours though not after dropping it. I had cleaned my Iwata Eclipse thoroughly, or so I thought and had air to the brush but not from the nozzle. Kirk Lybecker at Iwata had me remove the nozzle cap and lo' there was dried paint that I had missed. Nail polish remover cleaned it out and the brush worked fine after that.

If this doesn't help try contacting him directly - kirkl@iwata-medea.com or info@iwata-medea.com.

Search Youtube for his tutorials using keywords "airbrush cleaning lybecker" and useful maintenance tips.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
One obvious thing i would check is, is the nozzle actually a 0.5mm nozzle? Has this one not been packaged up correctly or made correctly?
I was thinking the same allyne but how can you tell ? the package say's .5mm

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'd disassemble the brush and give everything a thorough clean. I'd then reassemble and make sure all the joints are sealed (not overtightened!) especially the head cap which may be your problem. Give it a go,just spray some water,and note any problems.

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
My problem was similar to yours though not after dropping it. I had cleaned my Iwata Eclipse thoroughly, or so I thought and had air to the brush but not from the nozzle. Kirk Lybecker at Iwata had me remove the nozzle cap and lo' there was dried paint that I had missed. Nail polish remover cleaned it out and the brush worked fine after that. If this doesn't help try contacting him directly - kirkl@iwata-medea.com or info@iwata-medea.com.

Search Youtube for his tutorials using keywords "airbrush cleaning lybecker" and useful maintenance tips.
Hi Rick i get air through the nozzle as normal when i depress the button its when i pull it back for paint that very little comes out and you need to be real close to the part your spraying

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I'd disassemble the brush and give everything a thorough clean. I'd then reassemble and make sure all the joints are sealed (not overtightened!) especially the head cap which may be your problem. Give it a go,just spray some water,and note any problems.Cheers

Steve
Just done all that Steve it works well with just water ( but still not as good as before ) so tried again with paint ( Vallejo model air ) back to hardly any paint so thined it down even more work better but as with the water not as good as before i damaged the nozzle so i'm now starting to think it may be a .3mm nozzle in a .5mm nozzle bag/or the new nozzle is damaged in some way. STUMMPED

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What does it spray like with NO needle fitted?

Steve

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
If it stops spraying when you pull the needle back it won't be the nozzle and the tip of the needle wouldn't go through the smaller nozzle, when you push the lever down does it push the valve down properly where the hose is attached

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'd email Iwata's customer support for help. You may even get a reply tonight considering the time zone difference.

S

Stevekir

pap695 said:

"Hi Rick i get air through the nozzle as normal when i depress the button its when i pull it back for paint that very little comes out and you need to be real close to the part your spraying

"it works well with just water ( but still not as good as before )"

Logic (not always a useful tool) says that, in view of the emboldened text, that the paint path is blocked (from cup to nozzle), paint being more viscous than water). You could use one of those dental stick brushes from nozzle to cup to clear it. I had to do that recently.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Took Rick's advice and contacted the Iwata customer services and got in touch with a Man called Kirk. Who helped me no end ( i can't fault there customer services at all ) .

He talked me through loads of different ways to try and find out the fault. The problem being in the end a bent tube that the nozzle screws into, so you always get the symptoms of a blocked/dirty nozzle, with it being solderd/welded into the main body, no way of fixing without major costs so it looks like i'm on the hunt for a new one

A little note DON'T drop your air brush into the sink

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Ian,

I'm glad you got an answer from Iwata that identified the root cause of your problem, albeit an expensive one. Kirk was ever so helpful with me and it's pleasing to find excellent customer support is still out there. Quality products and quality support from Iwata.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's a real shame that your airbrush is not repairable, but good to know that Iwata offers such good aftercare.

Vaughan

S

Stevekir

See my almost identical (except for the cause) saga at:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/painting/17769-my-ab-gummed-up-something-awful-model-air-model-colour-paint-2.html#post151581

My symptoms are the same and I have tried all the suggestions.

It might not help but might confirm that ABs are quixotic.

T

tecdes

Does this mean Iawata do not provide spares ? Harder & Steinbeck produce spares for every component of the airbrush. I would have been suprised if Iwata did not.

Laurie