Air brushing problem with Pledge wax (Klear)

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I've given my F-104 an air brushed coat of Pledge multi-surface wax, new formula Klear. and left it to dry, it was left for a week because work and finishing up another kit got in the way. I've just picked it up and noticed pale white lines on the fuselage and in the join between the tail and fuselage, and a general whitening of the colour at the rear of the model,

View attachment 68962

View attachment 68963

View attachment 68964

The front of the plane is OK, not as shiny as I would have liked but OK.

Can anyone help as I don't know what's happened to cause this.

Tony.

Sorry the photos aren't too good think the auto focus focused on the background and not the plane:oops:

white lines 001.JPG

white lines 002.JPG

white lines 003.JPG

M

MrSprue

Hi Tony,

It might help if you set you camera to "macro", It's usually a flower type symbol on non SLR type cameras. This should allow you to get an in focus when shooting close up shots.

Colin

T

tecdes

I would guess Tony that the layer you applied has been to heavy and the excess has drifted downwards into panel lines etc dried and left the white streaks. Klear is not clear . You do not see this when applied in thin coats.

I had similar troubles when trying to airbrush the stuff. Found, when I was (hate the stuff) using the stuff it was best to brush by hand and then in thin coats.

I wonder if giving another thin coat on the problem areas this will thin the white bits down. Others with more experience with the stuff may be able to help here.

Laurie

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks for the reply Laurie, The streaks don't follow panel lines, I tried to do thin coats but it's almost as if the klear has run and left a mark when it dried, also I can't figure out why the back end looks like I've done a mist coat in white. The model was done in one sitting, over about an hour, had to wait for the front to dry before doing the back, and the front has come out OK but the back has this discolouration. Does klear have something in it that needs stirring up and could it have settled while sitting in the paint cup, then got blown onto the model ?

Tony.

A

AVB99

I gave up on the stuff. I used to shake it for about 15 minutes before spraying but it still used to pool. Needed a very high pressure just to get it out of the airbrush. There are plenty of people here, I think, who use it successfully. It's very subjective.

Uncle Laurie put me onto Vallejo gloss which is stunning.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks Aiden, I've been looking on line at Vallejo varnishes, Vallejo is my paint of choice and it seems reasonable to use their varnish too. I got the pledge wax stuff because it was cheap and you got loads., hey ho.

I'm off to town on Thurs, I'll look in the LMS and see what they have.

Cheers.

Tony.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I only ever use it on paint work if the panel lines are very fine and I dont want to drown them in varnish. WHEN I use it I always use a soft flat brush. That way you can also keep an eye out with puddles and pooling. wicking them away as they form.

Klear dissolves its self, so make sure its very dry before a second coat.

MY opinion on klear is its good for dipping canopies and other clear parts in, and can be used as a canopy glue. It also protects clear plastic from super glue fogging.

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
\ said:
Uncle Laurie put me onto Vallejo gloss which is stunning.
What is this stuff like through an airbrush. Please forgive me if this sound like a daft question.

Tony.

A

AVB99

It's great. You need a pressure of at least 20 and it goes on very well. No pooling. Dries very smoothly. Cleaning is a joy too.

But don't forget I'm biased against Klear but others find it works well for them

T

tecdes

Tony as the "Young Man" Aidan says Vallejo Varnish is great. All the matt, satin & gloss.

The matt (not sure on the other 2) touches up with out any sign of a join or over lap.

Should avoid the Acrylic Polyurethens Gloss Varnish which Vallejo also make. Just used it & found it strips very easily. Seems to be brittle compared to the Acrylic Resin Gloss.

Despite having mentioned this a number of times make sure Tony you give the brush "immediately" after use a good clean or you will have problems. I steep the nozzle while cleaning the rest in Vallejo Cleaner & give a squirt through of cleaner when finished cleaning.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Tony as the "Young Man" Aidan says Vallejo Varnish is great. All the matt, satin & gloss.The matt (not sure on the other 2) touches up with out any sign of a join or over lap.

Should avoid the Acrylic Polyurethens Gloss Varnish which Vallejo also make. Just used it & found it strips very easily. Seems to be brittle compared to the............

Laurie
The only gloss varnish that I can find in Vallejo's site is 70.510 which I think is their Acrylic Polyurethens Gloss Varnish. So can you please give me details of the Acrylic Resin Gloss (number etc.)

Thanks

T

tecdes

Yes Steve here they are.

Acrylic Matt 26.518

Acrylic Satin 26.519

Acrylic Gloss 26.517

Laurie

S

Stevekir

From Vallejo's site:

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-paints/auxiliary-products/3

Gloss Varnish

Waterbased acrylic varnish with new, quick drying formula, and an acrylic resin of extraordinary hardness and permanence. Protects painted models from dust and scratches, dirt and humidity. Acrylic Varnish should never be applied until the paint has dried completely (see note), and it is recommended to wait at least 24 hours. Varnish should be applied in fine coats at approximately 5-10 minutes intervals.

Presentation:

70.510 Gloss Varnish 17 ml.

26.517 Gloss Varnish 60 ml.

It seems to be the same fluid as the 70.510

I was wrong: 70.510 is not an Acrylic Polyurethane Varnish. I can't find any Acrylic Polyurethane Varnish in Vallejo's site. Do you know the address?

T

tecdes

Steve here it is.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/decorative-arts/auxiliary-products/2

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/media/65a2f7365274da82fe3b0d786827957b.cms/model-faqs-cc001-rev03.pdf

In which it states this.

10.4. What is the difference between the new polyurethane varnish

–refs.62.062 , 063 & 064- and your acrylic varnish?

The most important advantage of this new polyurethane is its superior strength

and resistance to nicks and scratches, which makes it ideal for surfaces

exposed to wear. The varnish is manufactured with a new resin of 100%

polyurethane which is self-leveling and offers a stronger protection than acrylic

varnishes. Basically it has the same properties as our new Polyurethane

Primers, can be applied with a brush or, for airbrushing, and diluted with our

Airbrush Thinner (Ref.71.061). Utensils can be cleaned with water after use.

10.5. Can

i

use your new polyurethane varnish on a model painted

with Model Color?

Yes, the Polyurethane Varnish can be applied on Model Color, Game Color

and Model Air, but make sure that the paint surface is completely dry. The

polyurethane varnishes dry more quickly than the acrylic colors, and form

a hermetic surface. If the base color has not dried completely, humidity

could be trapped under the varnish and cause problems difficult to solve.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Steve here it is.http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/decorative-arts/auxiliary-products/2

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/media/65a2f7365274da82fe3b0d786827957b.cms/model-faqs-cc001-rev03.pdf

In which it states this.

Laurie
Thanks.

I know 70.510 so will stick to it.