Airborne's Dragon 1/35 150mm Howitzer

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Tempus Fugit, not helped by a considerable amount of time at school away from the bench, but I've managed to get some sub-assemblies for the howitzer done! Haven't posted sprue shots as they were included in the original post. I'm fairly sure I shall get this whole build completed on time :cool: As highlighted in previous posts there are lots of errors in the instructions; transposition of part numbers, vague location pointers, missing part numbers etc. I've added hydraulic brake lines although I make no claim as to accuracy of location etc - they look ok to me though! However the parts fit with typical Dragon accuracy once cleaned up and are full of fine detail, some too fine for geriatric chipolata fingers and fading eyesight! As an aside, the Carpet Monster hasn't coughed up the grab rail, and the decals for the prime mover dashboard is lost in the limbo of the Postal System :angry: Anyway, on with the motley and here is progress so far ...
Steve
IMG_0074.JPGIMG_0073.JPGIMG_0072.JPGIMG_0071.JPG

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice paint work, what are you using Steve ?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice paintwork. Will there be camouflage?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice paint work, what are you using Steve ?
Thanks John,
The paint is standard Humbrol 94 with blends of H83 and Khaki to provide tonal variations; Vallejo acrylics washed very thin to grubby it up! I use heavily thinned Track primer and/or Dark Rubber for grime and the tyres are Dark Rubber base with a 50/50 mix of Dark and Light Rubber for the running surfaces! And sometimes I have the occasional brain f--t and think 'That'll work ... !
Steve

Reactions: JR

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice paintwork. Will there be camouflage?
Not this time Ian, due to time constraints, but I have a cunning plan for a future build! I was watching a documentary on Das Reich moving up through the Ardennes last night and it was apparent that the majority of prime movers and Arty weren't cammed, which surprised me :thinking:
Steve

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yeah,gotta agree with the guys....
..... That paintwork is excellent Steve :smiling3:. Lovely wear on the contact surfaces,not too much.... just right ;)
Looking forward to seeing it come together.... A shame no camo,maybe next time eh?!! ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice. A DIY big gun kit…..with fantastic coloration…..love it :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks John,
The paint is standard Humbrol 94 with blends of H83 and Khaki to provide tonal variations; Vallejo acrylics washed very thin to grubby it up! I use heavily thinned Track primer and/or Dark Rubber for grime and the tyres are Dark Rubber base with a 50/50 mix of Dark and Light Rubber for the running surfaces! And sometimes I have the occasional brain f--t and think 'That'll work ... !
Steve
Thanks, it has a realness to it .

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve, very nicely done looking forward to seeing what base you come up with.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks a beauty. Don't forget the rocks in the rock cage to stabilize the tow bogie.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks a beauty. Don't forget the rocks in the rock cage to stabilize the tow bogie.
Not sure I know what you mean Paul; was there usually a 'rock cage' or counterweight attached over the tow bar/ front bogie to keep the whole muzzle-heavy piece balanced when under tow? If so that might explain the purpose of the upright fittings on the front bogie!
Steve

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
There is a shelf of expanded metal underneath the bogie's axle where rocks could be placed to add extra weight. Maybe this was if they didn't have time to take the barrel completely out of battery for travel? Don't know, just seen it in photos and guessed, as some pics show travel in battery.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There is a shelf of expanded metal underneath the bogie's axle where rocks could be placed to add extra weight. Maybe this was if they didn't have time to take the barrel completely out of battery for travel? Don't know, just seen it in photos and guessed, as some pics show travel in battery.
Don't know for sure either Paul, but it sounds like an interesting and feasible plan! I think the perforated plates are to counteract soft ground similar to the wicker but both usages sound plausible - if there are cognoscenti who have a definitive answer I swear I shall be 'eternally' grateful! (Well, not that long!)
Steve