Airbrush brush: Alclad 2 lacquers primer and gloss coat questions.

A

askara

so i bought a Alclad 2 white lacquer primer, can i use it with Tamiya acrylic paint on a plastic models? (gundam). will laquer melt plastic?

also from online AB tutorials (Pre- and Post-Shading) it say to apply a gloss coat before decals. but what does the gloss coat mean? a clear gloss vanish or gloss version of the colour? eg flat red then gloss red or flat red then top coat?vanish?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Alclad primer won't melt your model despite being laquer based. You wouldn't want to spill any on the plastic though. I've heard good things about the Alclad primers from people who know.

Laquer thinners,which we call cellulose thinners this side of the pond,is actually a mixture of solvents which differs from brand to brand. They are all "hot" and will definitely attack polystyrene model plastic.

Some are so "hot" that they can be used as an adhesive.

A gloss coat is usually simply a coat of gloss varnish. People have their favourite varnishes from Vallejo to Klear floor polish but they all do the same thing. The coat of varnish will protect your paint job and,being gloss,provide a smooth surface for the decals. This smooth surface will help prevent "silvering" of the decals. Silvering is when the carrier film becomes visible and this is often caused by minute air bubbles trapped under the decal,sometimes in the surface of an uneven paint surface.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Alclad primer is fine for plastic. Just go easy, to much in one go can melt plastic.

Once dry you can paint over it with any type of paint.

The gloss coat you read of is a clear coat over the paint. It is to help the decal film become invsible, or near as. Once the decals are done seal them under a clear coat of the desirable finish.

Ian m

A

askara

hmmm what about those tamiya spray bottle? can i spray it into a bottle and use thinner with it to use on air brush? can you do it with mr surfacer? i got half a spray can.

also it is ok to use Tamiya X22 clear coat as the gloss coat? or any other suggestion? and any replacement for Tamiya Top coat? or just spray a clear top coat?

Last edited: