Airbrush vs brush

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
ive noticed a lot of discussion about airbrush as opposed to brush painting and sometimes being a brush painter ive met snobbery as if you can't turn out a decent model if you use a brush now I'm not saying my builds are better brush painted but I can say I've seen builds that are better or at least as good imho ,

This is one of the builds from my club and this is entirely brush painted and the everything on this is done by brush View attachment 101260

As you can see you'd never tell it was brush painted

So I'd like to know why there is this divide between brush and AB

image.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I always admire good brush painting and you certainly do get great results, outstanding.

All I would say that a good result can be obtained with an average ability airbrusher that would need an expert brush painter like you to achieve, while an expert airbrusher can get results far, far better than my mediocre airbrushing or a hairy brush painter can get.

W

Waffen Bucks

Both disciplines are as good as each other...and as good as the person doing them.

I've always seen each discipline as a tool to get the right effect I'm after.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I agree Barry , ive got a long way to go yet to be in these guys league and they give me loads of advice and even bring in the right stuff to show me how to do it , the guy who built this was the one who showed me how to do chipping with a brush

I suppose it's where the snobbery comes from ,

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
ive noticed a lot of discussion about airbrush as opposed to brush painting and sometimes being a brush painter ive met snobbery as if you can't turn out a decent model if you use a brush now I'm not saying my builds are better brush painted but I can say I've seen builds that are better or at least as good imho ,
This is one of the builds from my club and this is entirely brush painted and the everything on this is done by brush View attachment 111236

As you can see you'd never tell it was brush painted

So I'd like to know why there is this divide between brush and AB
That looks really nice Alan.I wasn't aware of a divide between brush and airbrush I just assumed people used one or the other or both.I use the airbrush for larger areas as I know I couldn't achieve a decent finish with just a brush myself.Armour modelling doesn't need a pristine finish anyways as the are normally battered and knocked around but if one was modelling a large scale car say then I'm sure an airbrush would help provide a better finish for a showroom model example after all I don't know off any cars coming off the production line that have been hand painted.At the end of the day I think it's all down to personal preference as I'm no good with a brush for large scale painting I choose to use an airbrush unless I'm doing a figure then it's the brush for me.Whichever one you use I don't think it matters to anyone else as long as it makes you happy KUDOS to both in my opinion.

K

Keithmayes

To be honest I wish I could use an airbrush but I am rubbish at it. I first gave it a try centuries ago when I bought my first car, a rusty Ford Cortina, black, but my efforts were terrible. I have tried many times since but just can't get the hang of it. With my current model, my first build, I tried to spray the primer on (rattle can) mistake! Had to rub it down and start again with the trusty brush. I have become a brush painter not by choice but by necessity.

Last edited:
D

dubster72

Personally I don't think there's a divide in terms of snobbery Alan. An airbrush or a brush is just a tool & is used in accordance with the skill of the user.

Buying an expensive airbrush won't make anyone a great sprayer!

However, to my mind, their are scale effects that just can't be achieved by using a brush - mottling for one.

Whilst I broadly agree with John re armour, I still think that can be an excuse for a rough finish. I've said it before, paintbrush marks on an actual vehicle can't be properly scaled down to 1/35, let alone smaller scales.

And to those who say " I can't use an airbrush ", why not? Believe me, they're not as hard to work with as people seem to think.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
That looks really nice Alan.I wasn't aware of a divide between brush and airbrush I just assumed people used one or the other or both.I use the airbrush for larger areas as I know I couldn't achieve a decent finish with just a brush myself.Armour modelling doesn't need a pristine finish anyways as the are normally battered and knocked around but if one was modelling a large scale car say then I'm sure an airbrush would help provide a better finish for a showroom model example after all I don't know off any cars coming off the production line that have been hand painted.At the end of the day I think it's all down to personal preference as I'm no good with a brush for large scale painting I choose to use an airbrush unless I'm doing a figure then it's the brush for me.Whichever one you use I don't think it matters to anyone else as long as it makes you happy KUDOS to both in my opinion.
That's the way I see mate but ive noticed a divide at shows , on Saturday at Yeovil I asked a bloke if a build was brush painted or AB and he looked at me like I'd asked if the pop was catholic lol then said AB in a scornful tone as if to say you can't get that look with a brush which is nonsense of course , and at telford I had it when looking at this build that had used this new thing that allows you to paint decals on to look more realistic, I asked if it would work with a brush he told me to piss off ! He changed his demeanour when I told him to watch his mouth or I'd stick model somewhere he wouldn't like it lol

D

dubster72

Well such ignorance is something we come across in all walks of life mate!

Those people have lost the fun of doing a hobby!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
To be honest I wish I could use an airbrush but I am rubbish at it. I first gave it a try centuries ago when I bought my first car, a rusty Ford Cortina, black, but my efforts were terrible. I have tried many times since but just can't get the hang of it. With my current model, my first build, I tried to spray the primer on (rattle can) mistake! Had to rub it down and stat again with the trusty brush. I have become a brush painter not by choice but by necessity.
It's harder to get to the level of build in this thread with a brush than AB , once you've got the basics of AB down and have learnt the basics you can then move on to learning the difficult things like chipping and stalking at the end of the day it's all about practice but brush painting is a different animal and takes much more patience something ive having to learn lol

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Well such ignorance is something we come across in all walks of life mate!
Those people have lost the fun of doing a hobby!
Totally agree mate i appreciate models in both methods but such is life and it takes all sorts to make a world :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
There are a few modelers that frown on brush users and scorn the less fortunate in building, have met them myself. We all want to get better in our craft, I remember Patrick doing a thread about great builds and crit etc, he is spot on if we are to try and get better-but folk that look at you as if you're crap don't help in confidence. There is a a use for both, I use brushes as they are better, in certain applications.

Also, and despite our best efforts, we sometimes hit a level that is difficult to beat, it could be modelling itself or painting, and I think we need to take time out and reflect on why we do it, for pleasure, 90% of us do not do shows we build for pleasure, to relax. or try to lol. I am not saying we shouldn't try and better ourselves, but maybe we need to be comfortable at a level we enjoy.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Personally I don't think there's a divide in terms of snobbery Alan. An airbrush or a brush is just a tool & is used in accordance with the skill of the user.
Buying an expensive airbrush won't make anyone a great sprayer!

However, to my mind, their are scale effects that just can't be achieved by using a brush - mottling for one.

Whilst I broadly agree with John re armour, I still think that can be an excuse for a rough finish. I've said it before, paintbrush marks on an actual vehicle can't be properly scaled down to 1/35, let alone smaller scales.

And to those who say " I can't use an airbrush ", why not? Believe me, they're not as hard to work with as people seem to think.
Mmm I think mottling could be done with a brush , I will be doing an Me 110 soon and I'm going to try it with oils , I'll practice it first on some cheep builds like I alwas do to get the effect I'm looking for :D

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
That's the way I see mate but ive noticed a divide at shows , on Saturday at Yeovil I asked a bloke if a build was brush painted or AB and he looked at me like I'd asked if the pop was catholic lol then said AB in a scornful tone as if to say you can't get that look with a brush which is nonsense of course , and at telford I had it when looking at this build that had used this new thing that allows you to paint decals on to look more realistic, I asked if it would work with a brush he told me to piss off ! He changed his demeanour when I told him to watch his mouth or I'd stick model somewhere he wouldn't like it lol
He was all mouth and no trousers then typical no backbone I'm glad you gave him is answer after he was so rude.

First Name
Dave
I think both methods give equal results but my spraying is far better than my brushing but each requires skill and knowledge to produce quality finishes.

i only spray because i inherited a good quality pair of airbrushes and i do find i use less paint.

Dave

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Sometimes a particular skill can be picked up quite easily by one individual whilst another will struggle with it. For example I would not attempt to plaster a wall but I am good at DIY plumbing, carpentry, landscaping and drinking red wine. We can't all develop the same skills, which is just as well really. I have just started out model making and I'm finding it very enjoyable and absorbing. I am happy with a brush and will stick with it. It would be nice if I could airbrush but I can't and I do not have the ambition to learn. Each to his own :smiling3:

T

Tibbs

I'm slightly less crap with an airbrush than the hairy stick, but do use both, big bits with AB, and brush for small bits.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I use brushes ....... I can't use an airbrush (Ihave one, used it a few times) apart from it being a hassle, I'm rubbish with it........ I prefer brushes, I use good quality brushes and find I get a good result.

Peter

D

dubster72

\ said:
Sometimes a particular skill can be picked up quite easily by one individual whilst another will struggle with it. For example I would not attempt to plaster a wall but I am good at DIY plumbing, carpentry, landscaping and drinking red wine. We can't all develop the same skills, which is just as well really. I have just started out model making and I'm finding it very enjoyable and absorbing. I am happy with a brush and will stick with it. It would be nice if I could airbrush but I can't and I do not have the ambition to learn. Each to his own :smiling3:
Fair enough Keith, I just believe we can all learn new skills :smiling3:

D

dubster72

\ said:
Mmm I think mottling could be done with a brush , I will be doing an Me 110 soon and I'm going to try it with oils , I'll practice it first on some cheep builds like I alwas do to get the effect I'm looking for :D
If you can do it, more power to your elbow Alan! I don't think it's possible to

reproduce with a brush a full scale spray effect that's 32/35/48/72 times smaller.

I've just been doing it in 1/72 with an AB & it's not been without problems!

View attachment 101262

IMG_20150224_131758.jpg