Aircraft Images

S

Scuff

How about the photographers out there post images of the real things.

Here are some from me to start us off.

The Blades Aerobatic team......

The Red Arrows.....

Typhoon on afterburners.....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A good idea Graham. We do actually have a section "Aircraft pictures" but unfortunatly, its been used as a thread for "rather a lot" of finished build photos......

I will see what I can come up with.

Some very nice images Graham.

Ian M

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Surly the Red Arrows can't be as close as they look? great pictures Graham

S

Scuff

Thanks for the kind comments.

John, the red arrows shot was taken with a canon 500mmf4Lis lens. It has compressed the perspective and made them look really close.

T

tecdes

Graham that Red Arrows picture is really a very artistic piece.

However it is a manipulation which really is not the real thing.

That is not in any way to denigrate your photography which I have enjoyed looking at very much.

To me movement is reality. I work in videography & at the Jersey B of B air, show for a client, I video filmed a Catalina, which is a slow aircraft, head on which made a 90 degree turn (luck was on my side) & in doing that the aircraft did that most gentle side slip into the turn. The beauty of these huge wings changing position with the gentle slow down of the aircraft as it took up its new position was something to behold. A car will move directly in the direction you point. An aircraft slides through the air as if it is master of its own destiny in that majestic slow variable arc.

To me that is the beauty of reality. But then I am a videographer & biased.

Laurie

S

Scuff

\ said:
Graham that Red Arrows picture is really a very artistic piece.However it is a manipulation which really is not the real thing.

That is not in any way to denigrate your photography which I have enjoyed looking at very much.

To me movement is reality. I work in videography & at the Jersey B of B air, show for a client, I video filmed a Catalina, which is a slow aircraft, head on which made a 90 degree turn (luck was on my side) & in doing that the aircraft did that most gentle side slip into the turn. The beauty of these huge wings changing position with the gentle slow down of the aircraft as it took up its new position was something to behold. A car will move directly in the direction you point. An aircraft slides through the air as if it is master of its own destiny in that majestic slow variable arc.

To me that is the beauty of reality. But then I am a videographer & biased.

Laurie
Thanks for taking the time to reply Laurie.

The Reds shot has not been manipulated at all. It was shot head on as it happened. Releasing the shutter at precisely the right moment gave me the image.

if you are talking about the compressed perspective given by a long lens, that is a matter of physics and applies to any telephoto lens, be it video or stills. That cannot be changed.

T

tecdes

Perhaps Graham manipulation is not quite the right expression.

My thoughts were that the human eye would not see those images in a compressed perspective way as expressed in your photo & which you point to in your reply. Not wrong in any way & very attractive as an image. But I was talking of reality as seen through the human eye.

I am aware that I can get "unreal" images for instances of a choir (which I do) by use of close ups & using depth of field manipulation. Just a bit of artistic licence. I know that the video in that case is not reality as seen by the eye but it makes good viewing. As art pictures they are not reality but a representation, to the viewer, of the real thing. In the same way photos are reality just for that split second. They give no before or after. But they give a picture which the human eye would never catch which is fascinating.

Laurie

PS I only wish I had the equipment & the skill you have to take such photographs. It is an art with out doubt. I get very annoyed & frustrated with how my stills turn out. Perhaps Graham you would write a tuition on taking model aircraft " photos well".

Last edited:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Graham they are great shots but because of this compression I think people will always think that you have photoshopped these images. I would presume that you were on sports mode (Rapid fire) to achieve these photos as to take a single shot would be near impossible.

Vaughan

S

Scuff

Hi Vaughan

some competition judges have suggested that it has been photoshopped. With respect to them, they really don't know what to look for!

The camera used did not have a high frame rate. Even if I used my current camera 14fps, I could not have just pressed the shutter and hoped for the best, because they are moving so fast.

i have been a photographer for more years than I care to mention, so the shot had a certain amount of planning. I knew where and when that the pilots would execute the manoeuvre and managed to catch that decisive point in time with just one frame.

S

Scuff

Hi Laurie

No offence taken. We all have different likes and dislikes.

Model / product / still life photography is another subject.....

you can have a look at my build threads and try and work out how it's done. I think you would be surprised at the gear I (don't) use :smiling3:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Graham you don't need much in the way of equipment when taking photos. All my finished build photos are taken with my iphone4s and a couple of modelling lamps.

Vaughan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Gentlemen I think that this is getting just a little off tak already.

The idea for this section is not to discuss photography and its many facets.

Photography is very subjective. It is an art.

Whether telling a story or capturing a split second in time a photograph is what it is.

Can we please hold in on dissecting other people's work.

Many thanks

Ian m

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great photos Grahem. I love them. Truly stunning images to enjoy.

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb photos graham , a very difficult subject at the best of times , moving aircraft, but your timing and composition is stunning, cheers tony

C

chezzagaga

omg! these pics are amazing. ive been to the air show in clacton a few times..and i love to watch the red arrows. :D

First Name
Gregg
Would it be an idea to transfer the conversations to the photography section so as not to get side-lined Ian!

RAF Conningsby Open Day 1986

RAF Waddington Tactical Fighter Meet Photo Call day 1986

View attachment 60410

View attachment 60411

RAF Coningsby Open Day 1986 - Copy.jpg

RAF Waddington Tactical Fighter Meet Photo Call Day 1986 025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Some cracking photos there Gregg. Particularly like the Lightning in photo 3.

Tony.