Aircraft Images

T

tecdes

Gregg hope you do not mind me saying this. Shoot me down if you want.

I think your photos would be better in composition if the aircraft were lower in the picture. In video we talk about headroom & also talk room for heads.

With the aircraft I would give the aircraft more headroom they are sky bound objects & I think they need more room above the aircraft than below to give impression rather than being in the middle or just above the middle of the picture.

Just my thoughts & I hope you do not mind me poking my nose in but I do think your good photos will then look really superb.

Laurie

First Name
Dave
As someone who isn't a photographer and just takes 'Happy snaps' with my iPhone 5,I think they are all brilliant.Oggy,what's that thing masquerading as a German WW1 plane?.Scuff,your pics to me are works of art.Superb.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very sharp images Roger, are you using DSLR with a telephoto lens plus image stabilisation? The Hurricane's an interesting one with the three navigation lights, as a pose to one centrally, a format used by the American WW2 fighters. Also the under wing pylons for maybe bombs. Do you know what mark is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Harry Labanville

I went to Clacton Air Show last year and took this as well a 99 others.

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Gregg hope you do not mind me saying this. Shoot me down if you want.I think your photos would be better in composition if the aircraft were lower in the picture. In video we talk about headroom & also talk room for heads.

With the aircraft I would give the aircraft more headroom they are sky bound objects & I think they need more room above the aircraft than below to give impression rather than being in the middle or just above the middle of the picture.

Just my thoughts & I hope you do not mind me poking my nose in but I do think your good photos will then look really superb.

Laurie
Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the constructive feedback, it's appreciated especially coming from someone with your background.

They were only taken all those pre-digital years ago, as a personal memory of days I could escape from life and it's problems not intending to put on public display.

I have always carried a camera with me wherever I go, just in case of that one unusual moment that (didn't) crop up!

The nearest I have got was while living in Cyprus, and coming across a compound full of old British military and airfield equipment/vehicles from the late 40's-60's dumped during the war in 1974. Some very interesting vehicles including ex-RAF re-fueling bowsers, Scammell recovery vehicles, Mobile Workshop Vehicles, baggage handling vehicles, Fire-engines etc

Now it is so much easier with the digital era we are living in.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Gregg

T

tecdes

You are right Gregg much easier in the digital age. I have to remind myself every now & then to slow down & think. The video work helped especially when I got home to edit. Sitting in front of the monitor watching clips saying what on earth were you doing get the camera up. Cheated a bit as I used fours cameras at a wedding so always had a fall back.

Did a lot of weddings & although digital is great the new photographers now just hold the button down & take mass multiple shots hoping a few will be OK. The more experienced all you hear is one click of the shutter for instance at ring exchanging. Great thing about digital is that you can manipulate to get an artistic interpretation.

Laurie

First Name
Gregg
Sorry, getting away from the object of the thread. PHOTO'S !

Gregg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well said Gregg.

I dont wish to pull any plugs in this thread so can we keep the photos at a maximum and the chit chat to a minimum.

We have a section specially for discussing photography in general. Can we all try to use that for the purpose of discussion and keep this one for peoples Photographs.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some fantastic Photos Roger. Thanks for sharing.

Harry, if that one you posted is anything to go by, please, post some more.

Ian M

O

Oggy

Thanks for the kind comments Gents.

\ said:
As someone who isn't a photographer and just takes 'Happy snaps' with my iPhone 5,I think they are all brilliant.Oggy,what's that thing masquerading as a German WW1 plane?.Scuff,your pics to me are works of art.Superb.
The plane is a Junkers CL1. It is a modern copy of the WW1 machine. It is one of a group called the Great War Display Team. They also have Sopwith and Fokker tripes, SE5as and others.

\ said:
Very sharp images Roger, are you using DSLR with a telephoto lens plus image stabilisation? The Hurricane's an interesting one with the three navigation lights, as a pose to one centrally, a format used by the American WW2 fighters. Also the under wing pylons for maybe bombs. Do you know what mark is it?
Most of these are taken with a Pentax K20 with either Pentax 300mm F4 or Sigma 150-500. I do not use stabilisation for this type of shot as deliberately moving the camera can confuse it.

The lights on the Hurricane are actually an early IFF (Identify friend or foe). They were switched on or flasfed in different sequences so the aircraft could be identified as a friendly as it aproached the airfield. I had to ask about them elsewhere.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
You've probably seen my other photos on my blog, but this one from the last Axalp is my favorite:

J-3038 (cn L1038) Northrop F-5E Tiger II Photo by Sebastijan Videc | AIRFIGHTERS.COM