Airfix 1/24 Bf 109E/4

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I decided to do a 1/24 scale to get some practice in for the sig next year so I chose the 109 it's a fairly easy kit but with some nice touches well so I thought when I read the instructions!

Let's start with the instructions, they start with the usuall cockpit and then engine and you follow this but there's a big problem, they instruct you to build the whole engine and cockpit with you thinking you can build this kit and have the engine showing or covered but you find out you can only do this once you get to putting the panels on you find that you can't build the engine if you want the covers on

In fact if you want the covers on you can only put two pieces of the engine in and that's the front of the engine for the propeller and the top for the machine guns the rest you will have to discard so you can get the panels on.

The other thing that would have been nice if you could do it is the retractable undercarriage, they come with pins at the top of the undercarriage that you just push in but they just break off so you end up glueing them anyway.

I will get another two of these kits though and build one with the engine showing and one covered because it is a nice kit and if the instructions were better explained you could do a very good model

Here's the completed build please feel free to comment/critisise:smiling3:View attachment 91029

View attachment 91030

View attachment 91031

View attachment 91032

View attachment 91033

View attachment 91034

View attachment 91035

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great build, great weathering & great big plane! :smiling3:

D

dubster72

That's superb Alan! Great painting & weathering - you're showing how good a model can be without the need for an airbrush!

Shame about the instructions - my Eduard E-4 thankfully tells you right at the start about showing the engine or not!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That looks great mate, a nice job, I love to see them dirty and used.

Si:smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely job, great weathering and finishes and some lovely detail. This kit brings back some really fond memories for me. I had one of these and the Spitfire on my bedroom shelf as a teenager when they first came out and can well remember the sheer presence they generated. Everything else seemed insignificant all of a sudden!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks for the kind words folks and I appreciate them very much :smiling3:

R

Reelo

Any 109 is a good 109. And your is particularly nice... *thumbsup*

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Nicely done Alan all round well done mate I really like it

P

Polux

Fantastic 109 Alan!

I really like your paintwork on the panel lines, it give a nice touch at this model.

And personally...I think you don't have to practice more, mate! Your results are great ;)