Airfix 1:24 BF 109E

T

timmah

Hi

Got myself a 1:24 Airfix BF109E model and the wheel well detail is a little poor to say the least!

Been trying to see if anyone has ways or knows of a kit/resin that would improve it but can't seem to find any??

Does anyone here know of such a kit or is scratch building the only option I have?

Ta

Tim.

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Hi there:

I completed this kit back in July-its in my gallery. I think that you might be able to check out after market mods with the trumpter 1/24 version. sprue brothers.com has tons of resin kits availble so maybe they might help you out. Thanks and good luck!!!

R

rjwood_uk

yea, darren and his team at sprubrothers are good. if you cant find it, just send them an e-mail and they will usually endevor to find it and get it in for you if they have it.

Richard

P

Pan_Am_Clipper_Girl

I'm sure there are some aftermarket things now there are more kits available in this scale, though failing that you could do it yourself, would make a nice project, there are plenty of references about and you could also look at such companies as Part and Eduard for their 48th/32nd etch for how the wells are detailed.

I always fancied tropicalising a 24th 109, do an E4 or E7, though knowing my luck one will be released just as I complete it. I was given a pretty beat up 18th scale one, that might be another project for another time.

I've just got all the bits to do my matchbox 32nd, finally, and now it looks like one is to be released by Eduard. Though to be honest the Matchbox 109 is a nicer kit than the Hasegawa one.

I don't think that you'd have too much trouble Timmah scratching bits. Good luck and keep us informed as to how it's going.

T

timmah

Hi

Thanks for all the replies, I've seen models on the internet next to line/detail drawings of aircraft parts etc for comparison, can anyone point me in the right direction for detail line drawing on the BF 109?

Ta

Tim

P

Pan_Am_Clipper_Girl

Timmah, if you can wait for a few hours or until tomorrow I'll have a look through my 109 books.

In the mean time if you could tell me what you'd like to see that would make my search easier.

T

timmah

Hi

It's the wheel wells, pictures are great and they can help a great deal but I would like to try and be accurate, so that why I wondered if I could get line drawings

Ta

Tim.

K

Krusty

The computer generated images posted above are from Mark Mallinson's build some time ago. It's a great build and was inspiration for my recent Airfix 109E kit. Best way to do it is just free-hand for the wheel wells. I used the thinnest plastic card I had (almost paper thin, probably .030 or something, I can't recall). Work on the round part first, wall it off, Then just cut a curved U shape out by the leg joint, and then kind of bend/fold a loose flap of plastic into that part. Sharp blade cuts the excess off at the surface level.

Word of warning: You will experience significant fit issues around the cowling pieces unless you leave them off, and with the clear parts against the fuselage