Airfix 1/32 Bond Bug (M10C) - Restoration

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I recently started a restoration of an Airfix 1/32 Bond Bug (M10C). It had been hanging around for almost eighteen months and I thought it time to get working on it.

I had spent years looking for an Airfix Bond Bug to add to the stash but was unable to find an unbuilt one. However, I managed to get hold of this built one on eBay. It has some vinyl stickers on it and has been glued pretty badly with what seems to be Evo-Stik contact adhesive. As it turned out, that was a blessing in disguise:
Bond_Bug_32_001.jpg

Since I purchased this built one, I did manage to get an unmade polybag kit but I will still carry out this restoration:
Bond_Bug_32_000.jpg

Because this had been assembled with Evo-Stik, it was pretty easy to pull it apart:
Bond_Bug_32_002.jpg

The parts were put in a freezer bag along with a good dose of Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner and left for 24 hours. Note that this stuff is powerful stuff and ventilation is a must when using it. I sprayed it outside:
Bond_Bug_32_003.jpg

Here the parts have been rinsed of Mr Muscle, cleaned with soapy water and then rinsed with water. Once that was done I was able to carry out some more disassembly. It is now ready for final cleaning up before I get down to painting and re-assembly:
Bond_Bug_32_004.jpg

These decals are the ones included in the polybag version shown earlier and I will be scanning them so that I can produce another set for this build:
Bond_Bug_32_005.jpg

The windows were cleaned up and I have masked them up ready for painting the frames and lower screens black. The engine halves were glued and I began to assemble the chassis and suspension:
Bond_Bug_32_006.jpg

In order for the chassis/suspension assembly to align correctly, I have dry-fitted it to the underside of the bodyshell while the glue sets. Once it has dried I will add some small pieces of plastic card to certain areas to give added strength and then move on to the assembly of the front suspension:
Bond_Bug_32_007.jpg

Talking of the front suspension, I discovered that somebody had done a repair job on it using some of the black parts shown in the third picture of my first post. Here is a picture of a Bond Bug sprue showing the three parts that are missing. The tin gives a good idea of the sizes of these pieces that should be easy to make:
Bond_Bug_32_008.jpg

That is all for now

Dave

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I am enjoying this restoration and got a lot more done last night.

I added extra plastic card to the areas circled in order to strengthen the chassis. On the right I have added some brass rod for part of the steering linkage to fit onto:
Bond_Bug_32_009.jpg

The steering linkage was fitted to the brass rod which was then trimmed back. I also fitted a shock absorber fashioned from a piece of sprue and constructed the missing parts of the steering linkage from plastic card:
Bond_Bug_32_010.jpg

The engine was filled, sanded and fully assembled and dry-fitted to the chassis, along with the propshaft. They won't be glued until they have been painted:
Bond_Bug_32_011.jpg

There is a very thin lip along the edge of the bodyshell which is badly damaged on both sides. I have glued some plastic card along each side and applied filler:
Bond_Bug_32_012.jpg

Once the sides were sanded smooth, I glued the top part of the bodyshell to the bottom part - having ensured that the chassis can be fitted later. The back of the bodyshell was fitted as well. I found it necessary to added a thin piece of plastic card behind the seats to fill a tiny gap between them and the parcel shelf:
Bond_Bug_32_013.jpg

View of the underside:
Bond_Bug_32_014.jpg

The Bond Bug has a black strip above the number plate but this is missing from the Airfix Bug. I fashioned a strip from plastic card:
Bond_Bug_32_015.jpg

Once the strip was fitted, the number plate fixing position had to be lowered by use of another piece of plastic card, the same depth as the earlier one. On the right are two "number plates" cut from plastic card that will be fitted at the end of the build. A second coat of filler was applied to the bodyshell joins each side:
Bond_Bug_32_016.jpg

The transparency that was glued in this old Bug actually came from a different kit and did not fit. I cut a piece of acetate from some food packaging and trimmed to shape. After dropping the acetate twice on the floor and finding it very difficult to locate it, I put some masking tape on it! The joins of each side of the back still need to be filled and sanded:
Bond_Bug_32_017.jpg

An aide-memoire that is self-explanatory:
Bond_Bug_32_018.jpg

The back of the bodyshell was filled and sanded as were the bodyshell sides. I have taped the roof onto the car to check it's alignment:
Bond_Bug_32_019.jpg

Test fitting of chassis again:
Bond_Bug_32_020.jpg

The windscreen and doors were dry-fitted in place and the fit of them was pretty good:
Bond_Bug_32_021.jpg

I will probably leave this build for a couple of days now so that I can concentrate on some of my other builds. When I return to it, it will be painting time.

That is all for now

Dave

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice work so far! Have fun with the paintjob :thumb2:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
You have made happy as I have never made or cannot afford one now I know its a bit late but the steering linkage is slightly wrong the part you have attached to the steering box is actually located on the left hand side as I own a reliant Robin and they share a few parts.

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful work Dave. Coming along really well

My reliant Robin story is from my school days. We had a rather large Maths teacher called Miss Dinnis who drove a Robin. She had tractor weights in the passenger foot well to balance out the weight. Sad but true

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
When I was in the Sea Cadets in the 70's, one of the instructors had a Reliant and took me from Rainham to Tilbury along the old A13. It was so scary!

This build started about two weeks ago so I am able to post another progress report now and as promised, painting time.

The bodyshell was sprayed with white primer:
Bond_Bug_32_022.jpg

So was the top. Then it was time for the black primer which was sprayed on the wheels and engine:
Bond_Bug_32_023.jpg

Lots of smaller items and window frames were done as well:
Bond_Bug_32_024.jpg

The chassis and steering column weren't missed either:
Bond_Bug_32_025.jpg

The join of the bodyshell parts needed a little more filler:
Bond_Bug_32_026.jpg

The top was given a first coat of H38 Gloss Lime Green:
Bond_Bug_32_027.jpg

Then the underside was done and I wiped off the excess before doing the upper bodyshell:
Bond_Bug_32_028.jpg

The upper bodyshell has received it's first coat of Lime Green:
Bond_Bug_32_029.jpg

The tyres were painted with H67 Matt Tank Grey:
Bond_Bug_32_030.jpg

I also painted some of the primed black parts with H85 Satin Coal Black including the chassis. The gear lever, steering wheel, column and radiator surround were painted with H22 Gloss Black.

That's all for now.

Dave

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I was able to get another coat of Lime Green on the bodyshell and roof:
Bond_Bug_32_031.jpg

Whilst that was drying, I painted the engine and diff housing:
Bond_Bug_32_032.jpg

I have also started painting the driver but he won't be revealed until he is finished!

The wheels were glued to the axles and the hubs were painted with Alclad 2 Gloss Black Base in readiness for Alcad 2 Chrome:
Bond_Bug_32_033.jpg

The fan belt has been fitted to the engine block and the manifold painted with H113 Matt Rust. I also removed the masking from the windscreen and doors which are almost ready for fitting although I will be applying some Klear to the clear sections before doing so:
Bond_Bug_32_034.jpg

The engine block has been glued to the chassis. At some point I will have to fashion an exhaust system which had been lost from this second-hand Bug:
Bond_Bug_32_035.jpg

I fashioned an exhaust from sprue and brass rod:
Bond_Bug_32_036.jpg

It fits pretty well but it needs painting before it can be glued:
Bond_Bug_32_037.jpg

The exhaust got a coat of Alclad 2 Gloss Black Base:
Bond_Bug_32_038.jpg

The wheel hubs were sprayed with Alcad 2 Chrome and I used a black marker to pick out the sections. Once dry, the hubs were glued to the wheels:
Bond_Bug_32_039.jpg

Whilst I had the Alcad 2 Chrome out I gave the exhaust a spray:
Bond_Bug_32_040.jpg

That is definitely all for the time being as I haven't progressed any further than this.

Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
What a great restoration of this odd little car. The built kit has cleaned up well and thanks to your efforts looks really good. I remember seeing Wheeler Dealers work on one of these. I think they sold it for a ridiculously high price.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Absolutely love it……when I was a sprog that knew nothing about cars I thought these were really cool………like something out of Captain Scarlet….…..there was always an orange one parked outside of a house by my junior school.
This is a great build log. Excellent restoration job, but the colour isn’t a favourite.…..I‘d love it in orange ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I seem to recall that the colour was actually in the fibreglass rather than painted on. Was that the case?

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Love this. I'm watching. When these came out they were right up there with beach buggies as my idea of cool.

For all things small and sexy, the Bubble Car Museum near Boston, Lincs, is a must-see. They have a Bug, of course.

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You have made happy as I have never made or cannot afford one now I know its a bit late but the steering linkage is slightly wrong the part you have attached to the steering box is actually located on the left hand side as I own a reliant Robin and they share a few parts.
The linkage has been attached in accordance with the Airfix instructions. Right or wrong, they are good enough for me but thanks for pointing that out. :thumb2:

Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great thread Dave, never seen this kit before either .
You've put a lot of effort into this and it shows .:thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Apologies just realised I forgot to comment.....as others have said an interesting build......

Keep up the good work.

Andrew