Airfix 1/48 Spitfire MK.5b (new tool)

First Name
Dave
Just finished this one .Its the new tool Airfix Spitfire MK.Vb.Ive finished it as one of the first batch of Spitfires delivered to Malta in 1942 and flown by pilot officer Buck McNair (Canadian) of 249sqdn based at Ta'Qali. the kit is the best Spitfire I've ever built.A real joy to put together.After the problems I had with the new Gnat,I approached this build differently.I test fitted everything before glueing and had no problems at all.I used an Eduard etched cockpit set.But it only needs seat belts as nothing else can be seen.I painted it with enamels and lightened the colours for a faded look.Then I used spots of oil paint drawn back I the direction of the airflow to weather it.This is a very nice kit that needed hardly any filler and I highly recommend it. The only tricky part is the undercarriage.Theres a tiny pintle/Trunnion that's glued into the wing before the wing halves are joined.Then the legs attach to these with a kind of stepped butt join.Its tricky to get the legs angled right.But the joint seems strong enough so far....

View attachment 117890

View attachment 117891

View attachment 117892

View attachment 117893

View attachment 117894

View attachment 117895

View attachment 117896

View attachment 117897

View attachment 117898

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Dave.

I can see I'm going to have to have me one of those.

First Name
Jason
Nice job Dave, I like the fading and weathering. Built this one myself a while ago and you're right. It's an absolute joy to build. As good, if not better than the Eduard Spit.

Jason

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Very nice Dave ........ Superbly finished, weathering is "Spot On" ........ Well deserving of a Great Build Gong.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice work Dave, she looks superb, a great quality build.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
What a cracking looking spitfire Dave, the paintwork is quality mate I love it. Shame about the silvering on the decals, are they the kit decals? They look a little overscaled/garish for the plane

Phil

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks great Dave very well done and like the weathering as well, ;)

First Name
Dave
\ said:
What a cracking looking spitfire Dave, the paintwork is quality mate I love it. Shame about the silvering on the decals, are they the kit decals? They look a little overscaled/garish for the plane
Phil
Yes they are the kit decals.I put them on with Klear ,which usually stops any silvering.Didnt notice it until the top coat of Matt clear varnish had gone on unfortunately.These aircraft had a local mix of dark grey hurriedly painted over the middle stone camo colour as soon as they arrived in Malta.So they probably didn't bother repainting the stencils.So maybe I should have left them off.....

S

steve scan

Excellent Dave you have just pushed me into one of these plus the Hurricane, really nice finish on this.

D

dubster72

That's a lovely Spit Dave! Everything about it is just right, really impressive

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Excellent Dave you have just pushed me into one of these plus the Hurricane, really nice finish on this.
I've got the Hurricane in my stash.Thats a great kit as well.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A great build Dave and has been said perfect weathering. Did you use a sponge to achieve the weathering on the wing route?

First Name
Dave
\ said:
A great build Dave and has been said perfect weathering. Did you use a sponge to achieve the weathering on the wing route?
Yes I used a piece of kitchen sponge.Only I smudged it a bit unintentionally.