Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk XiX ( with upgrades)

First Name
Robert
Hi guys

Well while I'm awaiting all the stuff for the Swordfish I have decided to start this and get it under way.
I got the kit a while ago and thought it could do with the least a cockpit upgrade. I intend to get extra resin exhausts and resin wheels although this new tool from Airfix seems very adequate ( I'm not a rivot brasher )
Ref I've sourced so far seems to say that this kit is accurate in scale. I may have to get a new Prop as I have heard the prop in the Airfix kit is a couple of mm out in scale??
My chosen MK 19 version is not from the BBMF but from another further afield origin.
I'll prob need to replicate my own decals as I can't seem to find any decals for the subject.
I would like views and comments and any suggestions. Thanks for looking
Regards

Robert

Pics
image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

P

Polux

I'm not a plane builder....but I will be there, if it helps :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:
Nice one ;)

First Name
Robert
Well I have made some if little progress on this. I didn't realise how hard working with resin and the clean up was but heh that's a new one on me. I followed the cast instructions and have ca all in place with instructions to the kit.
There is one piece ( F ) in the resin kit that is the retention rear belt to main harness that is thinner than paper ( it broke ) so I had to use doubled up Tamya tape and cut to size to represent this feature. Now I will start spraying the seat etc
Regards
Robert
pics
image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

First Name
Robert
Well I've made a little more progress with the Spit this afternoon. I decided once the resin was set I would continue with the build on the cockpit/ floor etc. I have a few individual builds that will require detailing and painting. I have given the interior a light coat of interior RAF green/grey 71.305 Model Air. I will then paint the other interior with same and then detail in the correct colours ( in a way using the one colour as a primer too
The seat has been given 2 coats of 71.080 Rust to simulate the terracotta colour of the lower seat ( in the original Mk19 the seats were made of strong paper to save weight and coated in tufnol ) according to my ref material but if I'm wrong please feel free to put me right. I've also opened up the left side view panel for the camera access.

Pics
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

First Name
Robert
Thanks Kresten on the help with link on the decals. I tried Hannants earlier but I suppose I was too direct as I was looking for decals of a MkXiX which is my subject. Now ordered the decals it should look fab. I will gave to change serial ID numbers but that should be no big problem.
Greatly aprecieted

Regards

Robert

K

Kressy_13

No worries mate. Happy to help. Think it will look great.

First Name
Robert
No worries mate. Happy to help. Think it will look great.

I'm just trying to think the size of the lettering ( I have heaps of spare decals but the style and size always confuses me.
I'll look into getting more lettering if need be

Cheers

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
If the rest of the build carries on this sort of detail, it's going to be brill'.