Airfix 1/72 E3

P

Plastickitbasher

Nice, something a little different, will be watching this one

T

T. van Vuuren

The fuselage uses (in my veiw) an un nessesarly "complex" way of engineering. You have the bottom section and the two side sections incorperating the top section. 
I found it rather fiddly to allign and cement together. You have to hold it all inplace and try run cement into the seam...needless to say I got a fingerprint or two on the model doing this.
There will be some filling and sanding to be done on the fuselage seams.
Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I tried to replicate the anti-corosion treatment they used on the Eindecker's sheetmetal parts.

I sprayed the cows X-11 silver and with a fine brush randomly painted streaks with humbrol "steel" that is a little darker.

Theuns

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice start, I like the look of this little thing.

T

T. van Vuuren

The linnen coluor is to yellow and it lacks feel.

I cut 1mm wide strips of tamiya tape and mask the ribs. Then I lightly spray tamiy smoke over the rest to make it a little darker and more "dirty"

I used the same on my 1/48 Nie 11.

Theuns

DSC00007 (4).JPG

DSC00191.JPG

T

T. van Vuuren

A heads up to anyone building this kit. I painted the model future as a gloss decal coat today and left it in the sun to cure. When I got to it there was a marked sag in both wing pannels downwards. It is winter here so it must have been max 15-20 deg C

I had to re-enforce the wing to fuse joint with thin super glue, hoping it will keep over time as the thin joiner bar on the inside of the fise binding the wings I recon is not up to the job and the wingroot seam is so thin glue area is really small.

Theuns

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A heads up to anyone building this kit. I painted the model future as a gloss decal coat today and left it in the sun to cure. When I got to it there was a marked sag in both wing pannels downwards. It is winter here so it must have been max 15-20 deg C

I had to re-enforce the wing to fuse joint with thin super glue, hoping it will keep over time as the thin joiner bar on the inside of the fise binding the wings I recon is not up to the job and the wingroot seam is so thin glue area is really small.

Theuns

Good info Theuns, I picked one of these up a wee while ago. Maybe some sort of reinforcement is in order to prevent future wing sag/failure. Do you think a continuous rigging thread would help?

T

T. van Vuuren

I ran thin superglue on the wingroot and it feels better. The EZ line I used for rigging will have no structural value. Maybe a thread that does not stretch will help...

Theuns