Airfix 1/72 Fairey Swordfish Mk3

1275GT

Hi there. Those with a long enough memory may remember thisfrom a while back (there’s a bit of a build thread somewhere! ), but after along and protracted struggle, this is finally finished.

It is, as the title suggests, an Airfix 1/72 Swordfish, theold version, converted from a Mk1/2 to a Mk3 as used by 119 Sqn in RAF servicesometime in early 1945, using parts from the again old Matchbox kit.

The parts used from that were the radome, rockets/rails,Lewis gun, tail wheel and arrestor hook( Airfix had no representation of this at all ! ). An Aires PE set was used forsome interior & exterior detail, along with a resin engine & exhaust,oil cooler and vent pipes (?) and a liberal sprinkling of scratch-built items. The rigging is elastic thread and the controlwires are from my very own head!

The only real problem I had were with the decals, ( thesquadron/aircraft codes and serial numbers) which don’t look too bad on thepics, but aren’t up to much in the flesh and I can live with them. But overallI’m very happy with it.

Any and all comments gratefully received.

Cheers, Neil.

PS Having put on my Xmas list “Any 1/72 or 1/48 militaryaircraft kit” have a guess what I unwrapped from SWIMBO……………………? Only the newAirfix Swordfish!! What are the chances……

View attachment 61564View attachment 61571View attachment 61570View attachment 61569View attachment 61568View attachment 61567View attachment 61566View attachment 61565

View attachment 63065

View attachment 63066

View attachment 63067

View attachment 63068

View attachment 63069

View attachment 63070

View attachment 63071

View attachment 63072

DSC08269.jpg

DSC08270.jpg

DSC08271.jpg

DSC08272.jpg

DSC08273.jpg

DSC08274.jpg

DSC08276.jpg

DSC08277.jpg

M

mobear

ooOOoo i love it different coloured one as well,a 5* build me thinks.

as for the airfix one u lucky sod lol

mobear

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well It took you long enough!! LOL.

Joking aside you have done a fantastic job on that Old stringbag, and you haven't just settled with the rigging but all the control cables as well!! Brilliant!

five stars from me!

Ian M

1275GT

Thanks chaps. It has been a bit of a long time coming. I'm very happy with it, but it's good to get it off the board and onto the shelf ! Thanks for spotting the control wires Ian, I was in two minds as to doing them or not - they wern't as bad to do as I thought they were going to be and I'm glad I made the effort with them.

Now I believe there's a Phantom somewhere with my name on it.......... :smiling3:

Cheers, Neil

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Neil! Super work mate, for a hard slog you have come out the other side with a fantastic looking Swordfish. Top work, look forward to seeing your Phantom build evolve further now this is out of the way.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
WOW! that looks superb Neil! It just shows that with a lot of patience and skill a beautiful result can be got from a very old kit , The rigging looks perfect and the black scheme really makes it stand out . Top marks for the conversion work too , i wish i could give more than 5 stars but here they are anyway , cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks great Neil

1275GT

Thanks for the kind comments, guys :smiling3: It's gonna be a bit strange working on something without a prop....!

Cheers, Neil

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant job. A bi-plane with a radar ! Talk about old and new.