Airfix 1:72 Gloster J-8A (Gladiator)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Greetings everyone.

So, a nice little new tool kit form Airfix.

View attachment 114794

So what attracted me to this kit. Well, new tool Airfix, I like these a lot. Also, unusual camouflage and Skis. Skis are cool.

The sprues: As you can see, some nice detail here.

View attachment 114795

View attachment 114796

Ok, it's small being 1:72, so there isn't much to go in the cockpit. Once the glass is on, even less to see so I didn't spend too much time here and just followed the instructions.

View attachment 114797

Which then looks a bit like this.

View attachment 114798

The guns need to be fitted now, which might cause a bit of fun painting the camo' later. So, they have been dipped in maskol before threading them through the fuselage.

View attachment 114799

Then is was time to squeeze the fuselage together and slap some wings on the bottom.

View attachment 114800

At this point, still no filler has been used. Some parts are very tight and need a bit of careful sanding for a good fit. A strange thing though, the cowling above the cabane struts didn't seem wide enough at the cockpit end. A bit of hot water and gentle persuasion was all that was needed.

Any the sun is out now, so time to clean the pond filters. Then maybe a Sunday afternoon BBQ.

Colin M..

airfix_gladiator_box_art.jpg

Sprue 1.JPG

Sprue 2.JPG

Pit and engine.JPG

Interior 1.JPG

Interior 2.JPG

Lower wings.JPG

D

dougie

Nice.I like the look of this with the skis.

No bbq for me, just arrived in Shetland. It's pretty cold! I'll just imagine one instead as I've had only 2 this year. :sad:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Colin. I'm trying not to buy any kits for a while. This is not helping my cause :smiling3:

P

Polux

Excellent start Colin.

I have one of this on my stash, so I will be attent ;)

The ridding work will be a challenge....O_o

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for looking in Gentlemen, sorry for the lack of updates. I am quite useless at keeping the updates flowing.

\ said:
I've had only 2 this year
I think I only beat you by one, and I'm in the Midlands, a bit further south..
But anyway, some more work has been done.

View attachment 115348

The little engine has been treated to a touch of Alclad, as has the collector ring. The cowling is made of three parts (the lower piece with exhausts is shown here) and may have a little issue with fitting. Some have reported some gaps where the cowling parts meet up. A quick check confirmed some very small gaps. My solution was to drill the locating holes on the inside of the cowling which position the engine. This seems to have worked quite nicely, allowing the cowling a close fit onto the engine.

View attachment 115349

Canopy masked and in place. I'm not a fan of masking canopies, even little ones like this. Anyway, this pic shows some nice detail Airfix have moulded into their kit. You might notice a couple of holes drilled out for the rigging and control wires, all in 1:72.............................

Colin M..

Engine and ring.JPG

Fuselage 1.JPG

L

Laurie

\ said:
I'm not a fan of masking canopies,
Who is Colin :eek:

Just coming together nicely. Just love these craft so much going on. The ribbing is very nicely pronounced giving great guides for weathering.

Laurie

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
This is looking good Colin... Cracking work.

D

Doug Hughes

Looking good so far Colin. I like the solution of dipping the guns in Maskol - there's always something you can learn by 'watching' someone else work.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Looking good so far Colin. I like the solution of dipping the guns in Maskol - there's always something you can learn by 'watching' someone else work.
Yes Doug, so lets hope it works !

So, a couple of more pics. This one, shows Airfix's clever idea for aligning the struts,

View attachment 115513

That X shape is just there to keep the two struts in line and at the correct angle, once in place, they get cut off. The struts locate very positively in some decent recesses in the wing. A nice touch from Airfix. Another good idea is that the cabane struts are moulded in pairs (front and rear) and are very positively located under the cowling which again ensures correct alignment and spacing.

And finally, Lots of maskol used for the camouflage masking. As it's only a small model, painting a bit of rubbery paint on didn't take too long.

View attachment 115517

Some of the Maskol edges are a bit 'feathery' it's as if the Maskol didn't want to sit still and leached across the surface. This normally undesirable effect might be useful for me. It might give me a look of some of the camouflage flaking off at the edges, as may of happened all those years ago.

Colin M..

Strut braces.JPG

Maskol.JPG

First Name
Robert
I started using Maskol recently and I find it very good for canopies but touch up once removed can be a bit messy so careful use of Maskol is important.

Your making good headway with the Gladiator and camp should be interesting

Regards

Robert

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
I started using Maskol recently and I find it very good for canopies but touch up once removed can be a bit messy so careful use of Maskol is important.
Your making good headway with the Gladiator and camp should be interesting

Regards

Robert
I think this is the effect I'm sort of hopping to get here. If my maskol leaves a very slightly ragged effect in places, I'll be happy with that.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well, it's been a while. Holidays etc getting in the way of proper use of spare time has caused a delay to my build. Anyway, a little update.

Painting completed, I'm going for a slightly worn out look, with ragged edges and faded paint. Also, here you can see I've made a start with the rigging.

As it's a 1:72 I can't use rigging eyes so each piece of rigging is a single piece of stretchy stuff. I've attached all the wires to the lower wings first, then the top.

View attachment 117191

Rigging, aerial and control wires all done.

View attachment 117192

The rigging was straight forward if not intensive. However, it didn't go without problems. Some of the Ez line, seems to have absorbed some of the CA glue and deformed. Some I can straighten out, others will have to be replaced. Well, I say that, to the naked eye, it's fine, but the camera lens and magnifying glass show the deformities up. Maybe when they are all painted silver it will look better.

View attachment 117193

Look at those skis. They look like something Ronald McDonald might wear.

Rigging 1.jpg

Rigging complete.JPG

Rigging complete 2.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job on the rigging colin , and those clown shoes look massive!! Imagine the extra drag , must have really reduced the top speed ( which probably wasnt that much to start with !!) cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow Colin, that is looking awesome mate. That ragged-edged camouflage effect is very nicely done, as is the extensive rigging job.