Airfix 1/72 Hawk red arrows

• Thread starter Ferrets Bueller
  • Start date
F

Ferrets Bueller

Got this kit from Hobby craft for a penny under £6, from what i belive the kit is one of airfix's retools and wow is it good, every part so far slots together perfectly .

Got the cockpit done today will spray the pilot later tonight.

Only thing i will say is that the decals are crap, i just hope its a one off on my kit as the instrument decals where a complete pita to do, i just hope the exterior ones are better or those whites stripes are gonna be a nightmare.

Pics so far.

Im rubbish at cockpits so..................erm...................... dont look:sobbing:.

Just one thing the pilot on this is way smaller than on my airfix meteor and looking at it the hawk is alot smaller than the revell spitfire even though there is only about 3 ft in them in real life. Does the 1/72 vary alot form model to model?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Does the 1/72 vary alot form model to model?

Yep, I'm afraid there's a lot of variation in scale sizes, even with the same manufacturer (sometimes because they've reboxed earlier releases by other manufacturers.

IMHO 1/72 is particularly bad, and is also clouded further by the HO and 1/72 20mm scales. I bought some 1/72 figures recently which when compared to equivalent Pegasus Figures would be about 9' tall! Small scale differences I think you can get away with and so long as they're not going in the same diorama it's not really an issue.

I do admit it is frustrating though. I mean surely 6 feet divided by 72 is the same answer on anybody's calculator - sadly not.

Just a thought, but looking at the box art it would be nice to model 2 of these machines doing the same fly past - even use coloured cotton wool for the smoke trails.

Cheers Paul - looking forward to seeing this Hawk.

Paul

F

Fenlander

Looking fine so far. Have to say that when Airfix do a 'New Tool' it is good. A 'Re Tool' can often mean new sprues with old sprues. I have the 1/72 Seafire which is the old spitfire fuselage complete with raised panel lines and new tool wings with recessed panel line and other bits like the bigger chin under the engine. Sadly, you have to cut out the fuselage to take the new chin which will be a bit hit and miss. Not recommended to a newcomer. Still, should be a good kit when done (if I ever do it).

Look forward to seeing this built up and your comments on the kit itself. I would spray the whole thing white, mask off the stripe, spray it yellow over the white then spray red over the yellow. A yellow base for the red can improve the depth of the red (so I am told).

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was considering buying a whole heap of these and doing the whloe display flight..... But then I thought it through....

Ian M

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
Does the 1/72 vary alot form model to model?Yep, I'm afraid there's a lot of variation in scale sizes, even with the same manufacturer (sometimes because they've reboxed earlier releases by other manufacturers.

IMHO 1/72 is particularly bad, and is also clouded further by the HO and 1/72 20mm scales. I bought some 1/72 figures recently which when compared to equivalent Pegasus Figures would be about 9' tall! Small scale differences I think you can get away with and so long as they're not going in the same diorama it's not really an issue.

I do admit it is frustrating though. I mean surely 6 feet divided by 72 is the same answer on anybody's calculator - sadly not.

Just a thought, but looking at the box art it would be nice to model 2 of these machines doing the same fly past - even use coloured cotton wool for the smoke trails.

Cheers Paul - looking forward to seeing this Hawk.

Paul
You know what paul i had thought about that myself, including as much as the cotton wool. But i am defo gonna do the pair of them on a stand, looks like i need to get another tomorrow then and bbuild them together

D

Dingbat

If i had to admit it i have a very strange fetish when it comes to the hawks. In the last 18 months i have made 3 airfix 1/48 for my 3 nephews. It started with a red arrow a spitfire and a hurricane but they argued over the red arrow so much my sister in law confiscated it until they all had one. Also 2 italeri 1/48's 1 of which was a red arrow for my collection the other was built to represent the 19 squadron bae hawk for the B.O.B celebrations.But i still love getting the really cheap kits off of ebay for a few quid and spending the weekend building them up.To me Spitfires and hawks you either cant build or have enough of in your stash.

Also the new airfix BAe Systems Hawk 120/128 kit is a very good kit to try also but it has a more challenging paint scheme.View attachment 19900

Good luck with your build it will be interesting to watch.

View attachment 27179

A03073_1.jpg

F

Fenlander

Two on a stand doing the head to head pass, like this one I snapped at Waddington, would look great

D

Dingbat

WHY OH WHY put such an image into my poor empty head graham . I am going to put this on my to do list .But Revell are releasing a 1/32 scale in december / early next year so that would make a good project.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul

I'm sure your Hawk will look excellent - if you do the pair it will look out of this world! I'm actually a little surprised that I've never seen a 'display team' featured in any model shows (maybe I've just missed them).

Anyhoo, good luck with it I can't wait to see it finished. I've got a model of an in flight 109 that's burst into flames - I'll take a pic if you like to show you what the cotton wool smoke looks like.

Thinking about it - that coloured smoke will look the business!

All the best

Paul

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
Hi PaulI'm sure your Hawk will look excellent - if you do the pair it will look out of this world! I'm actually a little surprised that I've never seen a 'display team' featured in any model shows (maybe I've just missed them).

Anyhoo, good luck with it I can't wait to see it finished. I've got a model of an in flight 109 that's burst into flames - I'll take a pic if you like to show you what the cotton wool smoke looks like.

Thinking about it - that coloured smoke will look the business!

All the best

Paul
Please if you could mate, would love to see it

F

Ferrets Bueller

Well i went and got another red arrow hawk this morning, cockpit is now airbrushed (wasnt impressed with my brushpainting yesterday) am now goon airbrush as much as i can seeing as i bought an airbrush clenaing pot its muchh easier to clean it now between colours.

Gonna build these side by side step by step together, and as suggested will do the crossing planes with smoke trail.

Will update when more is done

F

Fenlander

The cleaning pots are invaluable, I always put some kitchen towel in mine to absorb stuff, makes it easier to clean up than having liquid sloshing about in the bottom

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
The cleaning pots are invaluable, I always put some kitchen towel in mine to absorb stuff, makes it easier to clean up than having liquid sloshing about in the bottom
Great minds think alike then, as thats exactly what i do.:drinks_drunk:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul

Here's the pic of the burning 109. This is one of a pair (this and a Spitfire) that have working props and are mounted on stands. If you're interested the Spit is in my gallery with a bit of Photoshop jiggery-pokery done to it.

Just think what the red and blue smoke will look like! This will look amazing

All the best

Paul

View attachment 19921View attachment 19922

I know this model could do with a dust!!!

View attachment 27191

View attachment 27192

Smoke trail.jpg

Smoke trail2.jpg

F

Ferrets Bueller

Yeah that looks really good mate, nice job. As you say its goona look good in red and blue smoke too

F

Ferrets Bueller

Ok got both the cockpits done, i airbrsuhed all of the 2nd and gbot a much better finish, so i will now be brushing as little as i can.

Both pilots are painted and i think they look spot on ( i need to add a bit of white to where the visor black went too far), you get 2 in each model but as far as i know they fly singelly so thats what im doing. They are nice figures too, with plenty of detail.

Both fuselages are glued together and pilots glued in position.

Im really enjoying this build and making 2 models side by side is nice too.

F

Ferrets Bueller

Damn just realised i didnt paint the life jacket green around the neck, que some awkward and careful painting ..........what a tool

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is going to look really cool! Take your time with the figures mate, all makes up for a more satisfying result.

Have you worked out how you are going to mount them yet?

Paul

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
This is going to look really cool! Take your time with the figures mate, all makes up for a more satisfying result.Have you worked out how you are going to mount them yet?

Paul
Yeah ive got a wooden plynth in work that should just be the right size, owning air rifles etc i have some wooden stock finishing kits, so i think i will stain and oil finish the wood. Need some clear acrylic rod then to mount the aircraft too. Will have a butchers onling and see what i can find.

Or i could go with a gloss red base with the white stripes on it and maybe the raf logo?