Airfix 1/72 Hawk red arrows

• Thread starter Ferrets Bueller
  • Start date
D

Dingbat

They are coming along really nice. They sell acrylic rod on ebay for about a fiver for about 2 metres or so . Might be worth a look. Some even cut it to a couple of lengths but you would need to look for those. I also like the cotton wool effect would never of thought of that.

Just thought, acrylic rod also comes in different colours red, blue ,green might be worth considering.

Last edited:
F

Ferrets Bueller

Bit pee'ed off today, just got roound to sorting the canopies out masking them etc and im missing the front section of one of them.

So i either have to email airfix and wait for them to sent me out a replacement or what i will prob do is go buy another hawk tomorrow, what a pita as without it i can only spray one of the hawks now.

Anyway a couple of pics of progress.

The "complete" one masked, just needs a few bits attached and its ready for primer, then yellow and finally gloss red.

S

sprayman

Dont you just hate that when parts are missing, great build going on here.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi FB, those Hawks are coming along very nicely!

Pity about the missing canopy, if I were you I'd wait for the canopy and spray the 2 together, that's if you can wait that long to get started! Also (if you buty another) you could use the other body as a test bed for spraying or write to Airfix, as you previously said, request the new canopy and have 3 Hawks in the build - Red, White and Blue!

Cheers

P

C

Caledonia

Hi Paul, came across this photo might be of some use, as you can see no scope for weathering these babies. Keep up the good work. Cheers Derek

View attachment 27238

Red Arrow.jpg

F

Ferrets Bueller

Cheers derek, thaks for that mate. and yes your right these hawks are spotlessly clean.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would go both ways, Order the part from Airfix, then while waiting, buy a third one and go for the red white and blue. Briliant idea!

Just a thought, The shop has just the thing you need right here Xtracrylix paints RAF Red Arrows Red BS537

If you are going to do this, you might as well go the whole hog and paint them the correct colour!!! :smiling:

also for the cotton wool smoke, try looking in a craft shop. They often have coloured cottonwool. I can imagine it would not be the easiest thing to paint.

As a suggestion for the mounting of this lot, why not play with the idea of a thickish piano wire that will hold the weight of the kit, then hide the wire inside the cotton wool? Hej you could even bend it round an use it as the stand its self!!! :surprised:

Ian M

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
I would go both ways, Order the part from Airfix, then while waiting, buy a third one and go for the red white and blue. Briliant idea!Just a thought, The shop has just the thing you need right here Xtracrylix paints RAF Red Arrows Red BS537

If you are going to do this, you might as well go the whole hog and paint them the correct colour!!! :smiling:

also for the cotton wool smoke, try looking in a craft shop. They often have coloured cottonwool. I can imagine it would not be the easiest thing to paint.

As a suggestion for the mounting of this lot, why not play with the idea of a thickish piano wire that will hold the weight of the kit, then hide the wire inside the cotton wool? Hej you could even bend it round an use it as the stand its self!!! :surprised: l

Ian M
Hi ian, colour wise i have vallejo italian red which is a good match for the colour, one of the hawks had been primed and about 30mins ago sprayed glossy red,so far its looking good.

Now the cotton wool, i have a wire thick ebough to support it and thin enough to not look out of place, for colour im gonna airbrush it to get the right effect.

The stand, well i have a airfix stand so using the plane mounts (which is now drilled and glued to the hawks)and the movable arm, using these i can pose the planes as i wish, i have some thin delrin black rod which im going to take into work tomorrow and get our gunsmith to put on his lathe and turn it to the corrct size to fit the arm. So itll be black mount ,arm and rod, base im not sure about yet, i may spray it red.

Im gonna go get a third hawk tomorrow (lol) and make the 3 hawk display, two crossing each other horizontally (20-30 degrees) and the third at the back climbing say 60degrees vertically. I just had an email of airfix saying that it my take a monthh to get me the part so the arrow at the back can be missing hte front section for now.

At this rate ill have the entire bloody display team.....:guilty:

F

Ferrets Bueller

Ok a few pics of hawk #1. The front section of the canopy needs attention. I added gloss varnish to the red paint do you think its glossy enough? Bear in mind this is under a white lamp though.

The real thing for comparison, really not looking forward to those decals

Last edited:
F

Ferrets Bueller

Reposted..

I resprayed both hawks the correct colour, all thats left to do now is a gloss coat and sort the smoke out and the stand.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking really good Paul. They look very smart - every bit the display team!

Looking forward to the stunts and smoke

All the best

Paul

T

treyzx10r

lookin' sweet Paul,3 will be awesome together way to make the most out of a missing part

Trey

L

Lady_Phoenix

I have to say that ordinarily the Red Arrows would be so far outside my field of interest its unreal, however, this thread and the post below is making me consider doing two of them.

Well done, its looking awesome, really really awesome.